Second Viewing

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will not be posting and offensive nor defensive study this week, as I was unable to record the game and unwilling to attempt anything similar from the espn3 format. I did, however, watch the game replay this morning. I may have watched 6 or 7 plays a second time to just watch an individual who I haven't seen in game action yet. Having done so, I feel about the same as I did leaving the game after watching it live from the North EZ (love those seats btw). I feel generally encouraged overall, but a bit sobered as well, given that some limitations appear to be coming more into focus for this team.

I'll start with the good. They didn't stop our offense. If there was a stop, we basically did it to ourselves. Three separate drives were stopped by fumbles. Two being ripped out as we fought for extra yards after a long successful drive and one on a toss sweep where we put it on the ground for a huge loss which basically eneded the drive even though we recovered it this time. Clearly, Qua has given the AB position a lift. He made 3 or 4 plays into much bigger gains than would have resulted last year with the guys we had playing. A couple he extended with better speed and a couple with better cuts and slippery running, taking a leg away from the tackler and spins etc. He can hurt you in both offensive phases and is a weapon. We need another AB to emerge in much the same way. Will one? I dunno. JJ Green maybe? Lynn Griffin? Nathan Cottrell? Overall, for the most part, we executed well and exerted our will. I'll give Matthew Jordan credit for this much: he plays agressively and gets the play heading upfield better than anybody. That is the way the offense needs to be run IMHO. The only problem is he is averse to the pitch. He forces the D to commit very well but then just hangs on to the ball. I would say as many as half of his keeps would have better plays had he cut the ball loose just as the committed defenders were arriving to him. MJ is not far off. Keeping is the safer play and he was gaining positive yards, but we need to hit the bigger plays when we can safely.

The so so? I am not nearly as worried about the play of the defense as some of us are. Nor am I pleasantly surprised. In my mind, we got what we expected to get yesterday, considering the plan we had going in. If you line up the way we do and play vanilla, you have to expect to give up plays in the flats and short along the boundary. We did and it was by design. I give them credit for executing their plan well and having enough skill athletes to be somewhat effective. We stopped the run and we forced them to dink and dunk all the way down the field if they wanted to score. It limited our offensive possessions, but they were unable to score with it. Their first drive was capped off with a pretty improbable throw deep down the field and across his body. Kudos to them for making that play. What was missing, in order for me to feel more encouraged was a greater number of negative plays to stop drives, a TO or two, and a couple more stops on 3rd down. We created a lot of third downs, we just needed to stop a couple more. We played to contain, not to dominate.

The bad? The fumbles. Without those, this game would have felt a lot more like the whitewash many of you were expecting. The punt, again.

New Faces: I am guilty. I rewound a couple of plays when I noticed somebody new was on the field. Curry played a lot and was very aggressive and decisive with good tackling. I think he is sure to help us. His role should be interesting. Probably not big enough to be an every down guy at LB, but you have to love him against spread roaming the underneath stuff and occasionally bringing the rush. I like what I saw from Braun at RG. He is not a shy kid. He is quick in there and fairly physical for a Frosh. He has a chance to be good IMHO. Give him some time and reps. I was surprised to see Adams in there to be frank, but I guess we feel the pressure to bring him on this year because we may need a little something. There was good and bad for him. His body just looks different and very hard to block. They were unable to move him at all, even with the double team. That was noticeably different from our other players. He stood guys up and gave up zero ground. Runs in his direction went nowhere. If that were all he is responsible for, he would already be an upgrade. There was other stuff with him that didn't look so good. He got cut to the ground on a play and just took forever to get up. You can't have that on defense. He also got out in space a couple times chasing a play and looked like a fish out of water. He didn't break down and didn't take a tackling angle etc. For this reason, I am not saying he is ready, but rather, I like what I see for later down the road. He is the most physical DT with a great body for the position that I have seen us bring in for a while.

Last edited:

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
GT had a total of 9 possessions in the game:
  • 5 TDs
  • 2 lost fumbles
  • 1 (bad) punt and
  • 1 end of 1st half (which we had the ball :07 seconds so it's hard to count that).
We fumbled and gave them them the ball on 22% of our possessions. If you count the shanked punt (which ended up OK, but certainly not ideal), we had a "bad" result in 33% of our possessions in the game.

Time of possession was even.

Interestingly, GT did not attempt a pass in the second half.

/

Milwaukee

Banned
Nice eval as always, Boomer. I'll disagree in regards to Adams though. I was watching him closely as he really intrigues me, we need more mass like him. On the play where he got cut to the ground (borderline chop block btw - I thought he was already engaged up top by a blocker) and the play he tried to run down out near the sideline where he got cut back on pretty easily: that's just his size. He's never going to be the quickest guy out of a pile and I never expected him to make that play in open space near the sideline. Hell, I was proud of him for getting out there to force the cutback.

He's a space-eater, and pretty athletic for his size. He's not going to play and move like a DE.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So we agree in terms of Adams being tough to block. I don't expect him to ever chase to the sideline like a DE, however if he is lucky enough to get out there, I at least want to see him break down and give himself a chance. Yes he did create a cutback. In terms of being cut, I didn't notice a chop (not saying it didn't happen) but I just want to see a kid bounce back up because the play was still alive if I remember correctly. I'm being picky, I know, but I don't want to give the impression that I am not enamored with his potential, because I am. With that said, if I were coach, I am not sure I would be starting him just yet.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Nice eval as always, Boomer. I'll disagree in regards to Adams though. I was watching him closely as he really intrigues me, we need more mass like him. On the play where he got cut to the ground (borderline chop block btw - I thought he was already engaged up top by a blocker) and the play he tried to run down out near the sideline where he got cut back on pretty easily: that's just his size. He's never going to be the quickest guy out of a pile and I never expected him to make that play in open space near the sideline. Hell, I was proud of him for getting out there to force the cutback.

He's a space-eater, and pretty athletic for his size. He's not going to play and move like a DE.
Being a space - eater could be something we need against Vanderbilt's running game.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I like the thought of Simmons - Gamble - Adams - Freeman in our nickel package.

My impression from the live game was that Gamble and Simmons dis well. I have not rewatched though,

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In much agreement, Boomer. Certainly about Qua. I was thinking midway through the game yesterday he needs to be outside of the rotation. By that I mean he needs to play most downs and only go out enough to keep him fresh. I'm glad Adams is getting some PT. We really need help at tackle. He could be a difference maker by midseason.

Also agree on Roof. Several GT boards are all over him, but not me. Yes, they made a bunch of first downs and kept the ball a lot. But how many points did they score? When you're behind, keeping the ball for s long time isn't helping you. Was it Jim Bouton who said "statistics are for losers"?

I couldn't fine a free internet site and refused to put in a credit card number, so I ended up old style, back to the radio. I don't know how much y'all follow on the radio, but Sean Bedford is really good as a color analyst. The guy knows GT football and football generally. One negative he brought up which I keep coming back to is our receivers don't ever get fully open. He said something like "we have two of the three ingredients to a good passing game. We are protecting and Justin is throwing accurately. But our ends can't shake coverage." I guess the gazelle types can't do all we expect in our offense. But I wish we had either more straight up speed or better cutting wide receivers.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
".....What was missing, in order for me to feel more encouraged was a greater number of negative plays to stop drives, a TO or two, and a couple more stops on 3rd down. We created a lot of third downs, we just needed to stop a couple more. We played to contain, not to dominate...."

Boomer, as always, love your insight and appreciate you taking the time to do this. I respect and almost always agree with your analysis. Based on your comments above, if I didn't know better, it sounds like you're advocating for a more aggressive D...!

slugboy

Staff member
I saw this morning's Mark Bradley column talking about TOP. I'm not sure that's as important as a lot of people think--if we break big runs, our TOP dives down.

Still, I'd like to see us better on 3rd down.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to see Glanton get more playing time he seems to shed blocks quicker with his hands than some of the other guys. I was also encouraged with what I saw in Adams even when double teamed he held up well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Also agree on Roof. Several GT boards are all over him, but not me. Yes, they made a bunch of first downs and kept the ball a lot. But how many points did they score? When you're behind, keeping the ball for s long time isn't helping you. Was it Jim Bouton who said "statistics are for losers"?
Yes, it was him. And, yes, the score is the only thing that counts.

I don't care how long the other side has the ball. I don't care if we never force a punt. What I care about is the score. They went up and down the field and when they got inside the 20 they got nada. Do I wish we did better? Yes. Do I anguish over every missed opportunity (and there were plenty yesterday)? Yes. Will my wishes and whining make any difference to anybody who looks at our won-loss at the end of the year? No. Holding anybody these days to 10 points, especially when you play reserves for about half the game, is a decent performance.

But we'll need better against Vandy.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
The series just before the 4th quarter missed FG by Mercer, the play was right in front of me (3rd row section 123 around 10 yd line) and noticed #6 Simmons lining up on a receiver at the LOS. Decided to watch that matchup rather than following the ball like I usually do. They went at Simmons the next 3 plays. First play was a pass along the sideline. It looked like the receiver had a step on Simmons, but he disrupted the receiver enough at the LOS to throw off the timing of the route and the ball was overthrown. Second play, same receiver ran a crossing route over the middle. Pretty much the same result as the first play; receiver looked to have a step on Simmons but timing was off and ball was thrown too far in front of him. Mercer switched receivers and tried a WR screen with the slot back coming out to block Simmons and the receiver cutting in behind the block for the pass. Don't remember if the pass was incomplete or was covered well from inside but they ended up with 4th down and the missed FG attempt.

Whole reason I noticed this was because so many posters on here complain about us giving too much cushion at the snap. Not sure if this had anything to do with the coaches wanting to see what Lamont Simmons, the USCw transfer, could do or if this was more of a down/distance/field position decision by the coaching staff. Would be interesting to see a video review by one of our knowledgeable posters, that is if Simmons was visible on camera.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
dmurdock, I heard Lamont Simmons' name called many times Saturday, and I believe they were all positive. The name stood out because I didn't know we had anyone by that name. I guess when they don't go through the usual recruiting hullabaloo it's easy to lose track of them.