Season Ticket Renewal Has Started

superjacket21

Georgia Tech Fan
I hate to say it, but I'm not really in a position to re-up this year. With the cost of everything going up, getting married next year, and trying to buy a house, I just can't make it happen. I am going to try and attend every game I can, but I'll just buy tickets at the gate.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Next year could be rough on college attendance across the board if inflation numbers keep skyrocketing. May be more things to worry about than attendance.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nashville is the only comparative to us in form of transplants, but winning a few nattys in their marquee sport does help. The rest (outside Stanford and Miami) also have double and triple the student populations. Stanford is in a suburb and miami has a solid fanbase.
As far as argument holding water, in you post you mentioned only 2 place and those 2 places having higher fan turnout was explained. Also, whose going to drop everything and get excited for Wright St? Get a better opponent for opening weekend, and watch attendance go up.
But how did wee end up in a baseball discussion football season tix thread? Ill be there each game this fall trying to do my part, but like you it is disheartening in an empty stadium/arena.
Palo Alto is no suburb, but I get what you're saying.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Basis, please.
Not that I'm obligated to explain it you but since you have stated you're unaware, our two biggest revenue generating sports are in the crapper. Football has been record setting historically bad if you've not noticed and it took him 3 years to execute any type of change despite the handwriting being on the wall for a couple of years to be charitable. His reluctance to act on our basketball situation has been equally head scratching. I can only imagine what FY2023 is going to look like when the impending season football and basketball ticket situations come home to roost. Nobody's buying what he's selling & that's a very long problem to fix now he's gotten us further into the ditch. If you ran a business, re-winning clients is not an enviable position to be in. Finding new ones is equally hard.

Secondarily, but maybe more importantly he's been in charge as AD for 5.5 years & our AA's financial posture has degraded a fair bit from what he inherited. It's so bad they stopped publishing specifics. That's not an accident, the details would be damning. He's had one good effort with AI2020, but it was a fraction of what similar programs like Duke and Wake have been able to pull off. We got a lot of millionaires, he's not connecting ith many obviously. What's to like, some of our tertiary sports are doing well? Strike up a conversation about our Swimming & Diving teams with that other dude 2 sections over or 3 rows down in Bobby Dodd during our next home game. It's all the rage I hear.

Palo Alto is no suburb, but I get what you're saying.
It's definitely not urban. Isn't suburban the next level down from urban, before you get to rural?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We got a lot of millionaires, he's not connecting ith many obviously.
I ran into TStan at a basketball game last year and asked about his fundraising strategy. I THOUGHT he was going to talk about going broad and engaging more of the Tech base. Nope. "We're going to focus on getting more from the mega-donors." Yes, it's definitely easier to call 10 folks and ask for $1 million than it is to engage 100,000 and ask for $100, but you get the idea.

I'm biased and I admit it. I met Homer Rice. Homer Rice was the best AD Tech has ever had. TStan is no Homer Rice.

I lived through the debacle of the 80's. While Tech struggled, I never lost faith that we would, in the end, prevail. We did. Now? I have become very pessimistic to our chances ... TStan is running the old Tech playbook, not recognizing that the world has changed.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I ran into TStan at a basketball game last year and asked about his fundraising strategy. I THOUGHT he was going to talk about going broad and engaging more of the Tech base. Nope. "We're going to focus on getting more from the mega-donors." Yes, it's definitely easier to call 10 folks and ask for $1 million than it is to engage 100,000 and ask for $100, but you get the idea.

I'm biased and I admit it. I met Homer Rice. Homer Rice was the best AD Tech has ever had. TStan is no Homer Rice.

I lived through the debacle of the 80's. While Tech struggled, I never lost faith that we would, in the end, prevail. We did. Now? I have become very pessimistic to our chances ... TStan is running the old Tech playbook, not recognizing that the world has changed.
I disagree that he hasn't worked at reaching smaller donors. AI2020 and the 404 day are some examples.

I would agree that he and the GTAA should be doing more in that area. If you get someone to donate even $50/year to the athletics department they will feel some level of involvement. If you get more people to feel as though they are actually a part of the program, the more those people will become a part of the program.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
disagree that he hasn't worked at reaching smaller donors. AI2020 and the 404 day are some examples.
The only way to prove the point is to review actual data and I don't have it. I do agree that the AI2020 was a step in the right direction. The reality is that 80% of athletic programs operate on a breakeven basis (including Tech). If you want to be in the Top 30, you have to raise money, raise often, and raise again.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That argument might hold water if Texas (Austin), Vandy (Nashville), NC State (Raleigh), Miami (obv), Stanford (San Fransisco), Arizona State (Tempe/Phoenix), UCF (Orlando), USF (Tampa), and Tulane (New Orleans) weren't also outdrawing us. The bigger the city the lower the attendance ratio will be, obviously. But even in large markets we lack fan support comparatively
You forget about Piit, U. Of Houston, Memphis, Boston College, Northwestern, SMU, …..we compare favorably over the years to many of them. It is tough in metro areas for college football.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not that I'm obligated to explain it you but since you have stated you're unaware, our two biggest revenue generating sports are in the crapper. Football has been record setting historically bad if you've not noticed and it took him 3 years to execute any type of change despite the handwriting being on the wall for a couple of years to be charitable. His reluctance to act on our basketball situation has been equally head scratching. I can only imagine what FY2023 is going to look like when the impending season football and basketball ticket situations come home to roost. Nobody's buying what he's selling & that's a very long problem to fix now he's gotten us further into the ditch. If you ran a business, re-winning clients is not an enviable position to be in. Finding new ones is equally hard.

Secondarily, but maybe more importantly he's been in charge as AD for 5.5 years & our AA's financial posture has degraded a fair bit from what he inherited. It's so bad they stopped publishing specifics. That's not an accident, the details would be damning. He's had one good effort with AI2020, but it was a fraction of what similar programs like Duke and Wake have been able to pull off. We got a lot of millionaires, he's not connecting ith many obviously. What's to like, some of our tertiary sports are doing well? Strike up a conversation about our Swimming & Diving teams with that other dude 2 sections over or 3 rows down in Bobby Dodd during our next home game. It's all the rage I hear.

It's definitely not urban. Isn't suburban the next level down from urban, before you get to rural?
Last part first, suburban indicates that it is an outgrowth from a metropolitan area, i.e., a suburb of a larger, more urban area. Palo Alto is a large town/small city that has always been there the way it is now. It's growth was not due to the growth of the cities around it, (San Jose and San Francisco). So, no Palo Alto is not a suburb; it's a stand-alone city/town.

Now to the first part. Everything you've written is pure conjecture without any true knowledge of what is actually happening inside the GTAA. Your answer is about what I expected. Conjecture and innuendo. There's no true basis for your comments other than you don't like the current state of the football and men's basketball programs. You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's uniformed.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Last part first, suburban indicates that it is an outgrowth from a metropolitan area, i.e., a suburb of a larger, more urban area. Palo Alto is a large town/small city that has always been there the way it is now. It's growth was not due to the growth of the cities around it, (San Jose and San Francisco). So, no Palo Alto is not a suburb; it's a stand-alone city/town.

Now to the first part. Everything you've written is pure conjecture without any true knowledge of what is actually happening inside the GTAA. Your answer is about what I expected. Conjecture and innuendo. There's no true basis for your comments other than you don't like the current state of the football and men's basketball programs. You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's uniformed.
There are numerous variations on the definition of suburban which Palo Alto would definitely qualify under. From wikipedia-

"A suburb (suburban or suburban area) is an area outside the downtown of a city, which may include commercial and mixed-use, but is primarily a residential area.[1][2] A suburb can exist either as part of a larger city/urban area or as a separate political entity. The name describes an area which is not as densely populated as an inner city, yet more densely populated than a rural area in the countryside. In many metropolitan areas, suburbs exist as separate residential communities within commuting distance of a city"

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are numerous variations on the definition of suburban which Palo Alto would definitely qualify under. From wikipedia-

"A suburb (suburban or suburban area) is an area outside the downtown of a city, which may include commercial and mixed-use, but is primarily a residential area.[1][2] A suburb can exist either as part of a larger city/urban area or as a separate political entity. The name describes an area which is not as densely populated as an inner city, yet more densely populated than a rural area in the countryside. In many metropolitan areas, suburbs exist as separate residential communities within commuting distance of a city"
These definitions, as I read them, are all associated with a larger metropolitan area (i.e., San Jose). Palo Alto isn't a suburb, but it really doesn't matter. Besides, don't you know that Wikipedia is not considered a reliable source?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
These definitions, as I read them, are all associated with a larger metropolitan area (i.e., San Jose). Palo Alto isn't a suburb, but it really doesn't matter. Besides, don't you know that Wikipedia is not considered a reliable source?
I really wouldn’t know, I just lived there for 4 years. I’ve lived in 3 different cities, I’ve lived in the burbs a half dozen different times and twice I lived in a rural area. Palo Alto is a burb. You don’t need wikipedia, just drive by once and you’ll get it.

gtfanboy

Georgia Tech Fan
I keep flip flopping whether to buy season tickets or not. I am still pissed at them not firing Collins however me not giving the money just hurts the program. Plus the good seats are taken too so maybe the gods are telling me back off this year and see how they do.

Arrrrgh. I don't know.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I keep flip flopping whether to buy season tickets or not. I am still pissed at them not firing Collins however me not giving the money just hurts the program. Plus the good seats are taken too so maybe the gods are telling me back off this year and see how they do.

Arrrrgh. I don't know.

I would respectfully say do it if at all possible, but totally understand the frustration.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Arrrrgh. I don't know.
I would not assume that this year. Have you actually spoken with the ticket office to see if seats you might want are available?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Arrrrgh. I don't know.
Why not just buy a Stinger Pass? $200.