Season Ticket Renewal Has Started

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I would have kept mine if they were cheaper. I just have to spend 500-1000 to travel down for each game and its not worth it to me any longer.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be so hard on Tech. Yes, the current state of the program is not helping attendance but attendance is dropping everywhere. The average attendance in 2021 was down 15 percent, more than 7,000 per game, from a record mark of 46,971 in 2008.

Why? Television and expense. This isn’t 10 years ago, 15 or even 20 years ago. Almost every game is broadcast now and if you attend a game, you are likely missing an even better one being broadcast. And one where you can sit in your EasyChair, enjoy a cold brew and easily hit the restroom.

As to expenses, I bought my first season tickets in 1983. What were the costs then? Parking was free (at the Coca-Cola garage), gas prices were low, you could buy a Coke in a souvenir cup for a $1. What is it now? $35 for the seat? Plus parking? Plus gas? Plus $5 for the Coke. With food, you are already into $100+ territory and probably more if your seats are any good.

No, attendance is going to continue to slide no matter what. I will not be surprised at all for Tech to average 30,000/game in the not to distant future. Tech will have to be truly innovative to go against the tide on this one.
It's obvious our attendance (actual butts in seats) is way below average for P-5 teams. It's going down everywhere, but the old eyeball test shows our attendance is way below the average for P-5 teams.

But you make a good point about the cost. Bring that down and it will help attendance.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The only issue is, once we start winning consistently & big, the posters on here will complain about how expensive the tickets are. Their favorite parking spot has raised prices. Their section is too crowded with new people who don't know them... etc
That's a good problem to have compared to where we are currently.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean, as a student it’s only $75 and I go to all the games. Plus the student section seats are nice :p. I’d have to ask, where would the free tickets be? Because I wouldn’t want to sit in the nosebleeds, especially during the super sunny games where you’ll get a sunburn by the second quarter

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If we went undefeated every year we'd put more butts in the seats too. So? Neither are realistic. I guess you could have suggested something reasonable and entered into the discussion.
I think it is worth asking if the reasonable suggestion (8 wins a year) would do much for attendance. It would likely be better than it is now, but im honestly not sure that it would make a significant difference. 8 wins wouldn't even have us in the top 25. We would likely still be losing to UGA and Clemson. We wouldn't have a great deal of national relevance. In a sport where fans are dwindling, it seems like we would need much more than that to build a larger fan base.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If we went undefeated every year we'd put more butts in the seats too. So? Neither are realistic. I guess you could have suggested something reasonable and entered into the discussion.
I have just know that I have 2 season tickets for the upcoming year. Still want the wins. My initial comments are still legit, you just need to admit it. Realistic... Yes in the context of the question of what would it take to get more folks to attend GT football games. Will it happen in the next 2 to 3 years, I doubt it.
*Note I didn't state going undefeated most of the time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think it is worth asking if the reasonable suggestion (8 wins a year) would do much for attendance. It would likely be better than it is now, but im honestly not sure that it would make a significant difference. 8 wins wouldn't even have us in the top 25. We would likely still be losing to UGA and Clemson. We wouldn't have a great deal of national relevance. In a sport where fans are dwindling, it seems like we would need much more than that to build a larger fan base.
... Maybe 10-12 wins a year on a regular basis? 😉😊

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
consistently winning 8+ games a year would definitely put more butts in seats than we have now. Back when we used to win at a decent rate, I loves going to games. More often than not, we would win, which is always enjoyable, and I always felt like even against our best opponents we had a chance. I was intrigued.

Right now, I honestly enjoy very little about going to games. We lose the majority of the time, even when we have no business doing so, and there are several games a year we come into with basically no chance. The vast majority of games are now, for me, another chance to see friends I don't normally see. If they weren't there tailgating, I probably wouldn't be either, and I live within 45 minutes of the stadium.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I believe that although it wouldn't pack the house, it would increase our attendance by 50%.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It takes time to build an increased following. People need to believe the team is competitive and they want to see games that mean something. If they become more competitive each year and have players that fans want to see, then they are more likely to attend the games. It will not happen overnight. For example if Sims has a big year and a winning record, then expectations for next year will increase interest. So far there are no expectations for 2022.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I believe that although it wouldn't pack the house, it would increase our attendance by 50%.
Actual attendance maybe. Hard to quantify though. Reported attendance was 37733 on average last year. A 50% increase would be over capacity. Personally I think an 8 win team could get us into the mid 40s on average. If you want to consistently be over 50 then we need to be a consistent national contender with big name players.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Actual attendance maybe. Hard to quantify though. Reported attendance was 37733 on average last year. A 50% increase would be over capacity. Personally I think an 8 win team could get us into the mid 40s on average. If you want to consistently be over 50 then we need to be a consistent national contender with big name players.
I did mean actual attendance. I would guess we averaged about 30,000 actual butts in the seats, so half again would be 45,000.