Season Ticket Renewal Has Started

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
In all fairness, this is both a bonus and minus against GT. In the heart of a megalopolis, there are many things to do and most of the folks are transplants with their own loyalty. In Shreveport or Edinburg there is nothing to do but go and support the main employer of the town. Having a poor attendance ratio is what it is.
That argument might hold water if Texas (Austin), Vandy (Nashville), NC State (Raleigh), Miami (obv), Stanford (San Fransisco), Arizona State (Tempe/Phoenix), UCF (Orlando), USF (Tampa), and Tulane (New Orleans) weren't also outdrawing us. The bigger the city the lower the attendance ratio will be, obviously. But even in large markets we lack fan support comparatively

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
That argument might hold water if Texas (Austin), Vandy (Nashville), NC State (Raleigh), Miami (obv), Stanford (San Fransisco), Arizona State (Tempe/Phoenix), UCF (Orlando), USF (Tampa), and Tulane (New Orleans) weren't also outdrawing us. The bigger the city the lower the attendance ratio will be, obviously. But even in large markets we lack fan support comparatively
Nashville is the only comparative to us in form of transplants, but winning a few nattys in their marquee sport does help. The rest (outside Stanford and Miami) also have double and triple the student populations. Stanford is in a suburb and miami has a solid fanbase.
As far as argument holding water, in you post you mentioned only 2 place and those 2 places having higher fan turnout was explained. Also, whose going to drop everything and get excited for Wright St? Get a better opponent for opening weekend, and watch attendance go up.
But how did wee end up in a baseball discussion football season tix thread? Ill be there each game this fall trying to do my part, but like you it is disheartening in an empty stadium/arena.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Raleigh is 1/5 the population of Atlanta and only one pro team (hockey which is expensive) to compete with. They use a large pro arena for games with lots of parking on site. My big complaint with GT basketball is lack of parking. Night games and MARTA is not real convenient with the crime problems. My wife does not feel safe anymore downtown at night. I do use MARTA for FB if I am not staying near the stadium. NCSU has developed a longtime and loyal fan base that attend the games. It is convenient. Going to a Tech game with traffic and lack of parking is not easy. We should be able to get a couple thousand students to the games. I did as a student unless a quiz the next day. Maybe current students were not athletes in HS and don't have the interest.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Nashville is the only comparative to us in form of transplants, but winning a few nattys in their marquee sport does help. The rest (outside Stanford and Miami) also have double and triple the student populations. Stanford is in a suburb and miami has a solid fanbase.
As far as argument holding water, in you post you mentioned only 2 place and those 2 places having higher fan turnout was explained. Also, whose going to drop everything and get excited for Wright St? Get a better opponent for opening weekend, and watch attendance go up.
But how did wee end up in a baseball discussion football season tix thread? Ill be there each game this fall trying to do my part, but like you it is disheartening in an empty stadium/arena.
It’s not a baseball discussion. It’s a fan discussion considering the topic is season tickets which is directly related to fans. You’re trying too hard to win an argument for some reason, even though my OP wasn’t really controversial at all. FWIW, Miami played Towson, Arizona State played Dixie State, and Tulane played UMass Lowell. 3 really intriguing matchups there, huh? Wright State won their conference last year and likely will again this year. They were a much better opening week opponent than what most people played.

The point is that Tech fans suck, and don’t even support our winningest and most successful sports. City population should be irrelevant.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Raleigh is 1/5 the population of Atlanta and only one pro team (hockey which is expensive) to compete with. They use a large pro arena for games with lots of parking on site. My big complaint with GT basketball is lack of parking. Night games and MARTA is not real convenient with the crime problems. My wife does not feel safe anymore downtown at night. I do use MARTA for FB if I am not staying near the stadium. NCSU has developed a longtime and loyal fan base that attend the games. It is convenient. Going to a Tech game with traffic and lack of parking is not easy. We should be able to get a couple thousand students to the games. I did as a student unless a quiz the next day. Maybe current students were not athletes in HS and don't have the interest.
Agree. Basketball lack of parking keeps me from attending night games. I will go to weekend day games. They need to open up a deck close to the arena that is open for non season ticket holders. I love McAmish once I am inside. But winning would be the easiest cure for attendance. It sold out when Cremins was winning.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Also look at University of Houston which struggles in a big city with Longhorn and Aggies fans everywhere, Pitt with Penn State, northwestern in Chicago., Miami Hurricanes, and SMU and TCU in the Dallas area. It can be hard for college teams to garner support in major cities. But Tech can draw decent crowds when we are good. It is just very ugly right now because we are going through maybe the worst three year stretch ever.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Going to renew in the next couple of days, but wanted some thoughts on seat location. Do y'all think rows 2 or 3 is too close to see the game? I sat in row 8 (~10 yard line) last year, and was able to see both endzones decent enough, but I see that there's some seats available in those rows on the ~15 for the same price, so I'm thinking about moving there.

I just feel like I remember some gripes on here about being too close to the field to see anything, so wanted to get some input if anyone has any before pulling the trigger

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Going to renew in the next couple of days, but wanted some thoughts on seat location. Do y'all think rows 2 or 3 is too close to see the game? I sat in row 8 (~10 yard line) last year, and was able to see both endzones decent enough, but I see that there's some seats available in those rows on the ~15 for the same price, so I'm thinking about moving there.

I just feel like I remember some gripes on here about being too close to the field to see anything, so wanted to get some input if anyone has any before pulling the trigger
I think it is too close. Hard to see over folks when a play in along that sideline.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For the record:

I am not a CGC fan. I loathe money down. I have little expectation of getting to a bowl this year. I think we will have a new coaching staff this time next year.

Also for the record:

I am now renewed for the 2022 season and have attached a donation to the GTAA with my renewal. (Not a mandatory donation for seats)

You can disagree with the direction your team is heading and still support them. GO JACKETS!!!!

See you this fall @awbuzz

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For the record:

I am not a CGC fan. I loathe money down. I have little expectation of getting to a bowl this year. I think we will have a new coaching staff this time next year.

Also for the record:

I am now renewed for the 2022 season and have attached a donation to the GTAA with my renewal. (Not a mandatory donation for seats)

You can disagree with the direction your team is heading and still support them. GO JACKETS!!!!

Good fans like u should be rewarded.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
For the record:

Also for the record:

Ditto for me, AJ. I held my nose while hitting the ENTER button on my computer, but I had to promise my wife that I would give up my tickets next year if GT doesn’t (a) win 6 games, or (b) fire CGC. Now I’m going to have to find 3 people that want to go with me to the games. Both my wife and daughter (the latter of whom has missed only 5 home games in 12 years and has been to 8 away games) have said they really aren’t interested in going this year. Hopefully they are surprised with the team and change their minds mid-season.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Ditto for me, AJ. I held my nose while hitting the ENTER button on my computer, but I had to promise my wife that I would give up my tickets next year if GT doesn’t (a) win 6 games, or (b) fire CGC. Now I’m going to have to find 3 people that want to go with me to the games. Both my wife and daughter (the latter of whom has missed only 5 home games in 12 years and has been to 8 away games) have said they really aren’t interested in going this year. Hopefully they are surprised with the team and change their minds mid-season.
Good post. I wish guys like Collins and Stansbury would read posts like this and get a view of the real world. They absolutely have to turn this program around.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Good post. I wish guys like Collins and Stansbury would read posts like this and get a view of the real world. They absolutely have to turn this program around.

That is what needs to happen. I am sure I am not the only out of state fan who can no longer justify season tickets.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
It will be very interesting to see where the final season ticket numbers come in. I've got to think it will be south of 20,000, which certainly raises the question of whether it was worth it to keep Collins or fire him last year. I know there is a $7 million difference in the contract, but at some point, you're losing money either way. He's here this year, so I hope he is successful, but if we lose, say, 5,000 season tickets at $600 per ticket all in (with required donations?), that's $3 million. How hard will it be to get that money back in the future? I hope people who don't renew realize that they can watch on tv or find other things to do during the season. We need them all to come back with 3 or 4 friends with them.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I got called the other day to donate more. As much as I hate our head coach and DC plus our incompetent AD, I ponied up the $$. The program needs the few of us fans left that have any interest in the program to do what they can. I got more where that came from if we fix the issue.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
We're going through a bad time, but we can get through this. Even the successful Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs recovered from their dark days when they had attendance issues. We just need good management and win games again.