Season pulse check

Jmonty71

Banned
Now, we are a little over half way into the season. What's everyone's overall thoughts about this year's team?

Jmonty71

Banned
My thoughts. Passing has been pretty sloppy. We inflict a lot of self made errors. Also, we are offensively lethargic. We play scrappy and mostly sound defense. Just looks like we are missing a ball handler and some good outside shooters. We need to penetrate more and kick the ball out for some open J's. We seem to get into some serious shooting slumps. I would say we can play and keep most schools under their average. However; when you have a struggling offense the Ws are hard to come by.

I honestly think we miss both the big dance and NIT, this year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts. Passing has been pretty sloppy. We inflict a lot of self made errors. Also, we are offensively lethargic. We play scrappy and mostly sound defense. Just looks like we are missing a ball handler and some good outside shooters. We need to penetrate more and kick the ball out for some open J's. We seem to get into some serious shooting slumps. I would say we can play and keep most schools under their average. However; when you have a struggling offense the Ws are hard to come by.

I honestly think we miss both the big dance and NIT, this year.
I think that we are a year away. We desperately need more depth and it has showed this year through injuries and then again in quick turn arounds like today. I like this team and the foundation is set for the future, but like you, I'm expecting no post-season basketball this year.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
If we had a true knock down shooter, I think we would have a good shot at NIT. But we can’t sustain runs because we can’t continuely score and have too many droughts like you mentioned.

I am again really impressed that AD is getting actually good at post moves and scoring down on the block. He is actually causing Ben to not really have an impact on offense anymore because he has taken over the post offense, even though that was never really ben’s game. Since Ben can’t dribble that well and isn’t quick/explosive he can only spot up shoot at this point. He is pretty 1 dimensionsal Right now, he still plays pretty good defense and rebounds, but I can’t believe I would ever say this but AD is a better offensive player right now.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We are not an awful team. We are a long way from awful.
We are not a really good or tournament team though either. While we have a couple of horrendous losses we also have some solid wins and are 3-3 in the ACC.

We play very good D (usually) but average or lower offense. We lack ACC level playmakers. In fact we only have a couple of players who are solid ACC level starters at this specific point in time. We have 2 others (Jose and Haywood) I think will develop to solid ACC level starters, a couple more next year who should develop into solid ACC level starters and then a bunch of projects that who knows what we will get out of them (I still think AD is in this category). IOW we are a recruiting work in progress. And a process that is targeted to 4 year players growing up - not a Kenny Anderson coming in and fixing things. So if you buy the get old stay old process you are patient and look for solid but not top level recruits to grow up. If you want more immediate impact you point out the lack of high level recruits.

We play with a sense of purpose and you can see flashes of potential in the recruits CJP has brought in. At this point I am OK looking for somewhat consistent process. Next year I want to smell the bubble. Year after we should be in.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think that if we get out rebounded by 15 or more (today was 19) and lose the FT ration by over 2:1 that we will lose 98+% of the time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As a team, I think that we have moments of brilliance AND team play.
Love the cuts.
Not a big fan of moving BL further and further from the basket. When he's getting the ball 22+ feet from the basket in our half court offense isn't something most teams are going to fear.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
NOW that we are whole team we are decent team AT HOME.Away we aren't good enough on OFF to win much at all.Unless we get a big GOOD big body next yr(to replace Ben) , doubtful we will be any better even with young decent guys.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We have a pretty good best 5 in Jose, Tadric, Okogie, AD, and Ben. But no real depth behind them.

Had we been healthy all year I would think NIT with an outside shot at NCAA. As is we really need to hope the light clicks for Haywood or Jose fast in order to make it to post season play. We're not bad. 3-3 in conference and we showed against both UVA and UNC that we can play, but we're still lacking.

Going forward next year we should have a better back court. Losing Jackson will hurt, but another year of experience for Okogie, Jose, and Haywood will be much needed and the addition of Devoe should cover it. We'll have a bit more quality depth with Moore and Phillips than we did this year. I think AD will be okay at the 5, and if we can manage to get some experience on them Wright or Cole could be serviceable at the 4. To me a big thing will be what will happen with Moore and Ogbonda and if we get a free slot what do we do with it. Will we be able to land a late blooming big recruit to give us another option down low, or will we try to plug a hole using the grad transfer market that has worked out so "well" for us in the past.

Anyways I do feel we're set up pretty well to make the NCAAT in year 4. Still need to do some work on the recruiting trail/development, but some things to build on.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
If someone told me at Christmas we’d be 3-3 after our first 6 in the ACC I’d be happy. Realistically, we weren’t going to beat UVA or UNC. We’re not awful, but we’re also not there yet. At FSU is a winnable game on Wednesday. Certainly more winnable than either of our last two. Let’s go out and play hard and maybe finish this week 2-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU Has won 29 of their last 30 at home. It’s not going to be an easy game. I agree in the sense that after we started 3-1, I thought we would hopefully end up at 4-4 after this tough stretch. I would say Clem at the house would be more likely, but we need to beat the noles or Clem to keep our head above water. If we can stay close to .500 this year we are still heading in the right direction.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm expecting Alvarado's senior year to be the year they take the next step. Recruiting isn't off to a good start for 2018, but I believe the staff will hit more than they miss when it comes to development. The one problem with "get old, stay old" is that it takes some time to get old.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I'm expecting Alvarado's senior year to be the year they take the next step. Recruiting isn't off to a good start for 2018, but I believe the staff will hit more than they miss when it comes to development. The one problem with "get old, stay old" is that it takes some time to get old.
Isn't off to a good start we SIGNED the highest rated recruit we have had since 2012. 2019 is a long ways off no one saw the Devoe commitment coming there is plenty of time to come away with a great class go look at Virginia's 2018 class and what are they 2 in the country!