Scrimmage #2

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After relooking at the pics AND Without mentioning 83 ( we all know why) , it seems like lots of pictures of the backup qbs throwing passes.

Imo - we will pass more this year
3years ago coach and team had very little swag - plays limited such that a mistake would be not game looser. We played not to loose. By end of Last year it seemed we switched to in your face and riskier plays.
As I said I think we will pass more this year but If a back up qb must play In a game situation , is it likely we will revert back to the limited ( thus predictable) plays or will we pass even more than normal?
Leading to more passes
We have big butted lineman that can't be bull rushed , a huge transfer blocking fullback , ab who are inexperienced at edge blocking, the all of the qb seem to be able to pass., defense is improved.
Leading to revert - the first backup qb seems to be able to get the extra yard. But he also can make excellent passes.
Conclusion -- more passes.

Declinometer

Banned
After relooking at the pics AND Without mentioning 83 ( we all know why) , it seems like lots of pictures of the backup qbs throwing passes.

3years ago coach and team had very little swag - plays limited such that a mistake would be not game looser. We played not to loose. By end of Last year it seemed we switched to in your face and riskier plays.
As I said I think we will pass more this year but If a back up qb must play In a game situation , is it likely we will revert back to the limited ( thus predictable) plays or will we pass even more than normal?
Leading to more passes
We have big butted lineman that can't be bull rushed , a huge transfer blocking fullback , ab who are inexperienced at edge blocking, the all of the qb seem to be able to pass., defense is improved.
Leading to revert - the first backup qb seems to be able to get the extra yard. But he also can make excellent passes.
Beside the fact that this was poorly written and caps Show up In the Middle of the sentences for No apparent reason, this is hogwash. The amount of passing will be determined by what the defenses will be giving us.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow

Leading to more passes
I sure hope not. Last year seemed like the ideal mix where the pass was used to open up the coverage and when really needed on long yardage or hurry-up situations. In all cases, if our sustained drives are working, we shouldn't need many more attempts than we had last year IMO.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Beside the fact that this was poorly written and caps Show up In the Middle of the sentences for No apparent reason, this is hogwash. The amount of passing will be determined by what the defenses will be giving us.
You just showed NO respect for a Tech fan! Uncalled for. Now you can show me the same! Don't worry I WILL NOT reply any further to your writings or thoughts for I don't want to be treated the same!

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III

Leading to more passes
We play tight

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Leading to more passes
Your message is, I think, that we will pass more. Why? How many times, and how many ways, does Johnson have to say it? He prefers to run but will do what it takes to win. See last year. Take the coach at his word.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So I take it,I am the only one that thinks we pass more. I would love to be wrong and we only run, however, I am pretty sure the defenses will be up on line and pressing.

I say total passing yards up , yards per completion up, and interceptions are up. Ab pass completions way up. Our qb is a stud. Ground game about same but fumbles up.

We can review this in 4 months.

Please send typo,spelling, etc to BRAD STEWART.

bass ackwards

Georgia Tech Fan
I think he takes the most conservative plan in relation to ball security and momentum that gives him the best shot at winning. If that doesn't work or when it loses its effectiveness then do something else. Given the depth of the Oline I do not think that will involve more passing.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
You don't lose two NFL wide receivers and then conclude that Tech will pass it more. Smelter was a stud, he demolished Fuller in the VT game. Waller was 6'6" and bigger than anyone else on the field, and showed it when he became Tech's primary option. I'm trying to remember who pointed out that Waller dropped *one* pass all season. All of our targets are unproven at this point. See the spring game and all the drops from the wide receivers.

I think the early MO will be to stop the dive and contain Justin Thomas, and hope that inexperience at either A-back or receiver leads to turnovers. If the dive works at 5+ yards a pop, there's little reason to do anything else.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So I take it,I am the only one that thinks we pass more. I would love to be wrong and we only run, however, I am pretty sure the defenses will be up on line and pressing.

I say total passing yards up , yards per completion up, and interceptions are up. Ab pass completions way up. Our qb is a stud. Ground game about same but fumbles up.

We can review this in 4 months.

Please send typo,spelling, etc to BRAD STEWART.
As @Skeptic so eloquently stated, CPJ does not decide ahead of time that a given year is the year we pass more; he calls the plays based on what the defense is giving up.

If your premise is that Tech will pass more, not as a preconceived strategy, but as a result of how defenses will play us this year, well, that is a thought. I still disagree for one main reason. I actually think the play of our B-backs could be even better this year. If that is the case then everything will open up, not just passing. So the balance between running and passing should be about the same.