Scout Team Offense

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
No matter what. For me its becoming evident that paul and roof are around 15 years behind the times in football.

Paul has not adapted his offense one iota to take advantage of many rules changes to help offense and blocking

Roof runs a defense common in 1989 when football was almost always 50/50 run pass with a ton of 60/40 run pass and little spread form.

Neither have adjusted much imo.

I look at our team and system today and it just feels so outdated.

And before someone brings up 2014. I have been critical of our non update of our O for years; specifically blocking techniques and schemes.

As a point. Even monken and ken N have adapted their O to be a tad more modern.

I just am starting to feel a program that needs a refresh. When coaches dont adapt like a Saban does and the product becomes stale a refresh is needed. Does that mean fire the head man. Not necessarily. But maybe assistants to start

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No matter what. For me its becoming evident that paul and roof are around 15 years behind the times in football.

Paul has not adapted his offense one iota to take advantage of many rules changes to help offense and blocking

Roof runs a defense common in 1989 when football was almost always 50/50 run pass with a ton of 60/40 run pass and little spread form.

And before someone brings up 2014. I have been critical of our non update of our O for years; specifically blocking techniques and schemes.

I just am starting to feel a program that needs a refresh. When coaches dont adapt like a Saban does and the product becomes stale a refresh is needed. Does that mean fire the head man. Not necessarily. But maybe assistants to start
What's it matter if cpj hasn't changed his O much? He's top 15 in offensive efficiency right now, and most years his O puts up enough points to win 9-10 plus games.

Jmonty71

Banned
I've heard it said that a lot of the reason our defense is subpar is because the lack of talent on the scout team offense, due to our unique triple option scheme. I don't know how this is legal, but Alabama is bringing back former players to simulate opposing teams' offenses. Perhaps Calvin would want to play a little scout team WR ;) ?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...onard-fournette-on-the-alabama-practice-team/
Sorry.... The defense struggles against option teams, as well. Considering we're an option team, you'd think our defense could stop one. It's not the scout team, it's Roof and he lack of planning.

Jmonty71

Banned

Roof's defense is the exact style created in the 80s to shut down west coast offenses. 15 years? Try doubling that.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Well who on our roster would you suggest cover those TEs if not the 5'9" nickel? AJ Gray? go watch the tape - he has been trying (note keyword trying). It only works to match up personnel if you have the personnel to do it and frankly no one on our roster has shown that they have the size and speed to run with a decent receiving TE.

L Simmons and J Johnson (when available) should be fast enough to cover a TE.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
A question from someone who's never played or been remotely involved in football... would you ever put 12 out on the field for the scout team to help the defense improve their speed/cover ability? Or would that mess with the defense's assignments? I've also wondered this about basketball, if they put six on the scout team for practice scrimmages where you've got a team with a large drop off in talent.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Unfortunately, our football program as whole has fallen behind on the times. You just have to look at certain things like social media and football camps to see how we've become reactionary instead of pro-active.

Remember when twitter and Facebook became a big hit with recruits? Teams were flooding Twitter with all the great things their program and school was doing or could do for SAs (James Franklin at Vandy and Kiffen at UT were great examples). Recruits were subtweeting coaches at other schools (free advertisement!). Not to mention all the behind the scenes messages that allowed coaches to reach out to recruits. Social media presence was free...but we didn't take advantage of it for years even though our fanbase was questioning why and asking coaches about it during call in shows.

Now football camps are the big thing. Instead of getting out there and getting to camps to get in front of recruits, our coaches just sat back and shook their heads saying they didn't feel it was the right thing to do...even though the NCAA allowed it and other coaches were out there taking advantage of it. Our coaches finally got out there last year after two years of missed opportunities.

On the whole, those things won't make or break a program, but they are little things that can improve or hurt us. Being a good program is about the little things. Things like social media are free...no reason for us to wait around watch other teams flood recruits about their programs and not be a part of the conversation...especially at a school that takes pride in being cutting edge of technology and engineering. If something can help our program and the NCAA allows it, it's silly to sit on the sidelines and watch other teams take advantage of it.

When you look at little things like that, it's pretty obvious that our program has to start looking forward more and not wait for other teams to force us to do it. I mean, let's not even bring up uniforms...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
How would this be illegal? I'm confused, It's just practice.

So what's the rule though? Who is allowed to practice against your team? Is it limited to former players? What about former players from other schools? What about former players from other schools that are paid?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
A question from someone who's never played or been remotely involved in football... would you ever put 12 out on the field for the scout team to help the defense improve their speed/cover ability? Or would that mess with the defense's assignments? I've also wondered this about basketball, if they put six on the scout team for practice scrimmages where you've got a team with a large drop off in talent.

This scout team thing is over rated. Most defensive skills are taught at full speed in drills, not scrimmages with the scout team. The key to good defense is selecting players with natural D instincts (get off blocks, find the ball, lives for contact, physically durable, and fast or quick); getting them in the right position for your scheme: building up strength and endurance; practicing fundamentals through full speed drills; and putting it all together with situational practice with the scout team. After that it takes game experience and film study. During the season there is very little full speed scrimmage with the scout team. After proper player selection and positioning the important issue is proper repetitive drills to hone skills, technique, and build muscle memory. Too much live scrimmage can just lead to bad habits and injuries.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
This scout team thing is over rated. Most defensive skills are taught at full speed in drills, not scrimmages with the scout team. The key to good defense is selecting players with natural D instincts (get off blocks, find the ball, lives for contact, physically durable, and fast or quick); getting them in the right position for your scheme: building up strength and endurance; practicing fundamentals through full speed drills; and putting it all together with situational practice with the scout team. After that it takes game experience and film study. During the season there is very little full speed scrimmage with the scout team. After proper player selection and positioning the important issue is proper repetitive drills to hone skills, technique, and build muscle memory. Too much live scrimmage can just lead to bad habits and injuries.

Interesting! Thanks!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
So what's the rule though? Who is allowed to practice against your team? Is it limited to former players? What about former players from other schools? What about former players from other schools that are paid?
Not sure. Always wondered why Teams never scrimmaged eachother, unless that's against the rules.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The problems with PJ are not his offense. It is good enough to win more games. Its the defenses that he always seems to have that are the problem with not winning more games. His offense needs to be better than it is with the defense we have this year. The most improvement needs to come from the D which is underachieving. The 3rd down pass defense is really bad and it must be really frustrating to the players. Watching the UNC film, we were actually getting a push from the DL but ball came out before we could get to the QB. Soft coverage was the problem most of the time.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
There would be some potential safety issues. We did play 8 on 7 sometimes in practice so the offensive linemen could practice working up to safeties....