Scout Team Offense

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
There is plenty of talent on the offensive scout team. The problem is that Coach Roof dictates in a lot of his drills that the scout team O goes at 3/4 speed. Receivers run routes but they are not going full speed to give the defense a "better look". Don't fault the players as they are doing what they are told in practice and in the game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If the NCAA allows it, and you have good players willing to participate to help your team, a school would be crazy not to take advantage of it.

It's like the satellite camp argument. You can disagree with it all you want, but if the NCAA allows it and other schools are making use of it and it helps them, good for them for taking advantage of it.

We use cut blocking. Other fans and some coaches think it should be banned, and it's use is severely restricted on the NFL level, but the NCAA allows more leeway for its use and GT (and other teams) are taking advantage of it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has always said we don't prepare for specific players, we prepare for schemes/formations. A lot of teams use specific players on their team to mimic opponents' specific players in scout prep, not just Bama. Maybe we should change this philosophical difference.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has always said we don't prepare for specific players, we prepare for schemes/formations. A lot of teams use specific players on their team to mimic opponents' specific players in scout prep, not just Bama. Maybe we should change this philosophical difference.
I might be wrong but I think that statement is about our O preparing for other teams D

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I might be wrong but I think that statement is about our O preparing for other teams D
He's said it when his offense has been criticized for not preparing his defense in practice. He says we run the other teams plays and formations to give our D a look at that, not to prepare for specific players.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I guess that is how we wind up with our 5'9'' DB covering the 6'5" TE. There was an exception a few seasons ago to get a better matchup when in the second half CPJ put Jamea on the UNC TE.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Well who on our roster would you suggest cover those TEs if not the 5'9" nickel? AJ Gray? go watch the tape - he has been trying (note keyword trying). It only works to match up personnel if you have the personnel to do it and frankly no one on our roster has shown that they have the size and speed to run with a decent receiving TE.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well who on our roster would you suggest cover those TEs if not the 5'9" nickel? AJ Gray? go watch the tape - he has been trying (note keyword trying). It only works to match up personnel if you have the personnel to do it and frankly no one on our roster has shown that they have the size and speed to run with a decent receiving TE.
We have guys that have the size, speed, and physical ability to cover good TE's, the issue imo is their coverage skills, or not allowing the right guys to cover them.