Scheduling

Maybe cause most of our fans don't but their tickets from Tech would be my guess. Cost a little more and helps the school .
Apparently, from what I read, Tech actually sold their entire block of tickets for the Detroit game. Granted some were bought as donations (I bought one for myself and one as a donation), but they WERE SOLD.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Simple... Does scheduling matter anymore?

GT seems to have some very low strength teams, that we play. Usually FCS schools. I think this ultimately hurts us, where bowls are concerned.

Would you like to GT get smarter and schedule better teams?
At this point in time no. I'll take the FCS teams and mid major FBS teams twice a year and the wins.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
And yet, we pretty much filled up one side of the stadium in Detroit. It's a myth that we don't travel well. We don't have as many fans as most schools, so obviously we will have a smaller turnout, but the number who showed up in Detroit was amazing......as was the 30,000 who went to Dublin.
And yet, we pretty much filled up one side of the stadium in Detroit. It's a myth that we don't travel well. We don't have as many fans as most schools, so obviously we will have a smaller turnout, but the number who showed up in Detroit was amazing......as was the 30,000 who went to Dublin.
100% agree with this. Part of why home attendance is not as strong is because more GT grads are taking jobs out of state. A recent article said GT sent more grads to FANG companies than any other school. Traditionally, a lot of GT grads go to industrial companies in the Midwest (think Johnson Controls, Honeywell, etc.). Even the consulting firms give GT grads the freedom to select their home office city.

At factory schools, the grads take jobs in relatively close proximity to the school. Just part of the trade-off between being a national academic brand and being a factory that’s only regionally relevant.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Apparently, from what I read, Tech actually sold their entire block of tickets for the Detroit game. Granted some were bought as donations (I bought one for myself and one as a donation), but they WERE SOLD.
You were there and I was not so if you say Tech sold all it's tickets I'll agree with you, wish we had more fans like you. This is what I remember reading does not say we did or didn't sell out only why we ended up where we were playing.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-georgia-tech-fell-the-quick-lane-bowl/j8F3RzX2rl8zj1K7Eu2F4I/

Animal02

Banned
But IIRC, the required allotment was only 8000 tickets. Not an overwhelming number.

Animal02

Banned
100% agree with this. Part of why home attendance is not as strong is because more GT grads are taking jobs out of state. A recent article said GT sent more grads to FANG companies than any other school. Traditionally, a lot of GT grads go to industrial companies in the Midwest (think Johnson Controls, Honeywell, etc.). Even the consulting firms give GT grads the freedom to select their home office city.

At factory schools, the grads take jobs in relatively close proximity to the school. Just part of the trade-off between being a national academic brand and being a factory that’s only regionally relevant.
When you can't fill the student section on a routine basis.....you are not going to develop life long fans.

You were there and I was not so if you say Tech sold all it's tickets I'll agree with you, wish we had more fans like you. This is what I remember reading does not say we did or didn't sell out only why we ended up where we were playing.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/how-georgia-tech-fell-the-quick-lane-bowl/j8F3RzX2rl8zj1K7Eu2F4I/
I got some kind of email from Tech saying they had sold the entire allotment. There were apparently more Tech fans at the game than the 8000 allotted though.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Scheduling a FCS team brings in more money by having an extra home game every other year.
The path to getting into the playoffs is to be undefeated.
Bowl game selection is mostly by how well a team's fans travel. With Tech small alumni base, it will always suffered from the perception of low attendance.

Just an observation here, but I’ve been hearing about Techs small alumi base since I was 8 years old, haven’t we had time to graduate enough folks to fill our allotment of tickets in bowls yet ?

Animal02

Banned
Just an observation here, but I’ve been hearing about Techs small alumi base since I was 8 years old, haven’t we had time to graduate enough folks to fill our allotment of tickets in bowls yet ?
Tech has about 16k undergrad.4k a year..assume 75% graduate and 20% of those become big football fans.....over the course of 40 years....that is 24k.
Ohio State, with 66k undergrad...using the same stats has 99k.

LibertyTurns

Banned
GT beating hard teams is pointless. Once we win that previously good/hard team to beat is then irrefutably recognized as having a down year and weren't really that good after all. It's impossible for us to have a good season unless all the teams we play magically suck that in a given year.

We might as well just play teams that suck & have a better winning record. What’s the difference other than the stands are empty?

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I can’t imagine more than 5 teams in CFB will play a tougher OOC schedule than GT in the next 10 years
And if you look at SOS over the past decade if I remember right we have consistently been in the top 25 in the country besides just a handful of times. This is another “myth” we hear on message bowls that are not suppoerted by the facts I think (sorry don’t have time to look it up)

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Didn't get to go, nor even watch, the game in Dublin, but I remember reading that the total attendance was about 40,000. So 75% of those were Tech fans who traveled to the game? That's fantastic.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
I touched on the subject in my first post, but in my experience through undergrad and grad at GT, it's a very small percentage of GT alumni (I would place an optimistic guess of 5% and a pessimistic guess of <2%) that are college football enthusiasts in which I define as someone who would average an attendance of a GT game at least once every other year after graduation.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Simple... Does scheduling matter anymore?

GT seems to have some very low strength teams, that we play. Usually FCS schools. I think this ultimately hurts us, where bowls are concerned.

Would you like to GT get smarter and schedule better teams?
Bowl tiers are based on wins. Win enough and they have to take you.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Didn't get to go, nor even watch, the game in Dublin, but I remember reading that the total attendance was about 40,000. So 75% of those were Tech fans who traveled to the game? That's fantastic.
There were crap ton of us in Dublin. There were at least 150 of my friends there, people I had not seen in decades. 30k would not completely surprise me but I think it was probably more like 20k.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
GT beating hard teams is pointless. Once we win that previously good/hard team to beat is then irrefutably recognized as having a down year and weren't really that good after all. It's impossible for us to have a good season unless all the teams we play magically suck that in a given year.

We might as well just play teams that suck & have a better winning record. What’s the difference other than the stands are empty?

They only wouldn’t be empty anyway because away fans would fill things up. Concessions take would be better so that’s a positive. But it wouldn’t bring in more Tech fans.