Scheduling

Jmonty71

Banned
Simple... Does scheduling matter anymore?

GT seems to have some very low strength teams, that we play. Usually FCS schools. I think this ultimately hurts us, where bowls are concerned.

Would you like to GT get smarter and schedule better teams?

Animal02

Banned

GT seems to have some very low strength teams, that we play. Usually FCS schools. I think this ultimately hurts us, where bowls are concerned.

Scheduling a FCS team brings in more money by having an extra home game every other year.
The path to getting into the playoffs is to be undefeated.
Bowl game selection is mostly by how well a team's fans travel. With Tech small alumni base, it will always suffered from the perception of low attendance.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Most teams play one FCS team per year. That is totally normal. Our non-conference schedule will be strong as long as ugag is on it. Actually, our out of conference schedule the next few years is stronger than it needs to be.

Scheduling cupcakes does not hurt you in bowl selection. This is a myth. uva and Duke had a garbage schedule out of conference and got picked ahead of us. If we had played another team on the level of say, Bowling Green, rather than USF, we would have gotten a Tier 1 bowl at 8-4, most likely. We would be insane to schedule any tougher than we have. If anything, we need to be going in the other direction.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Not sure if trolling?

With a permanent cross-division game with Clemson, UGA game, and a conference championship, our schedule is more than good enough to make the playoffs.

Personally, I’d like to see us schedule like Bama: FCS school, couple of bad G5 schools, and a neutral site game every now and then.

Bama’s OOC schedule next year is: Duke (neutral site), New Mexico State, Southern Miss, and Western Carolina.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure if trolling?

With a permanent cross-division game with Clemson, UGA game, and a conference championship, our schedule is more than good enough to make the playoffs.

Personally, I’d like to see us schedule like Bama: FCS school, couple of bad G5 schools, and a neutral site game every now and then.

Bama’s OOC schedule next year is: Duke (neutral site), New Mexico State, Southern Miss, and Western Carolina.
They understand how to "play the game"......its working for them.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Starting in 2020, and running through 2027, we have two OOC power 5 teams slated each year.
In addition to Ugag, we have Notre Dame in 2020, 2021, Ole Miss in 2022, 2023, Notre Dame in 2024, Colorado in 2025, 2026, and Notre Dame again in 2027.
We also play Clemson every year in the other division. Those are strong schedules.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

GT seems to have some very low strength teams, that we play. Usually FCS schools. I think this ultimately hurts us, wheore bowls are concerned.

Our schedule does not hurt us for bowl games the fact we suck at buying tickets hurts us.

NorthGeorgiaJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure if trolling?

Bama hasn’t played a true road non-con game since playing @ Duke in 2010(?)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Starting in 2020, and running through 2027, we have two OOC power 5 teams slated each year.
In addition to Ugag, we have Notre Dame in 2020, 2021, Ole Miss in 2022, 2023, Notre Dame in 2024, Colorado in 2025, 2026, and Notre Dame again in 2027.
We also play Clemson every year in the other division. Those are strong schedules.
The good news
This is a recruiting plus!
While we aren't the sure national TV draw, these teams are.

Playing on national TV is a dream of any recruit but it's really a special dream for top recruits.

That good news is only relevant if we stop getting slaughtered by clem and uga.

Keep getting slaughtered by them and allow these teams to slaughter us and the news is all bad.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The good news
This is a recruiting plus!
While we aren't the sure national TV draw, these teams are.

Playing on national TV is a dream of any recruit but it's really a special dream for top recruits.

That good news is only relevant if we stop getting slaughtered by clem and uga.

Keep getting slaughtered by them and allow these teams to slaughter us and the news is all bad.

To repeat an old hackneyed phrase, trite but true, "You can't be the best until you beat the best".

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Given that Clemson and Uga are on our schedule every year, I don’t think we need to apologize for anything.

We play a tough enough schedule already.

I want to have the most wins as possible at the end of the year.

Our schedule does not hurt us for bowl games the fact we suck at buying tickets hurts us.
And yet, we pretty much filled up one side of the stadium in Detroit. It's a myth that we don't travel well. We don't have as many fans as most schools, so obviously we will have a smaller turnout, but the number who showed up in Detroit was amazing......as was the 30,000 who went to Dublin.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And yet, we pretty much filled up one side of the stadium in Detroit. It's a myth that we don't travel well. We don't have as many fans as most schools, so obviously we will have a smaller turnout, but the number who showed up in Detroit was amazing......as was the 30,000 who went to Dublin.
Maybe cause most of our fans don't but their tickets from Tech would be my guess. Cost a little more and helps the school .

Deleted member 2897

10 of the 12 teams we have scheduled season after next were ranked at some point this year (highest ranking of the year listed below):
#1 Clemson
#2 Georgia
#2 Miami
#3 Notre Dame
#5 UCF
#12 Virginia Tech
#12 Syracuse
#22 Duke
#23 Virginia
#24 Pittsburgh

4 of the teams were vying for the CFP going into the last week of the season. If anybody thinks we don't have a difficult schedule, they need to stay off the hard stuff!