SbNation Podcast on GT Coaching Situation

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting perspective here. Starts around 35:30.

Interesting part about "young, southern coaches" having enthusiasm at the possibility of flipping GT into a powerhouse, given admin, money commitment.

Also interesting - What the option has done for GT is to limit the gulf between Clemson and GT off the field in terms of money.

"Ken Wisenhunt would obliterate the program"

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ching-changes-louisville-georgia-tech-podcast

Sounds like we need a Dabo of our own.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The best part of this podcast was the talking about how poorly we embrace Atlanta culture. I really and truly think we need to rethink how we go about this. Yes we are an elite STEM school but we are located in Atlanta and need to use that better. We need to take some notes from Atlanta United. They had Bobby Dodd lit like I've never seen it.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure these clowns know what they are talking about. Wiz is our Jeff Fischer? Mmmmk. Eligibility/admissions aren't as difficult as Stanford/NW but harder than Miss schools? GTFOH

Yeah I’m a fan of the podcast but saying Stanford has a harder time keeping guys eligible was a swing and a miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
The best part of this podcast was the talking about how poorly we embrace Atlanta culture. I really and truly think we need to rethink how we go about this. Yes we are an elite STEM school but we are located in Atlanta and need to use that better. We need to take some notes from Atlanta United. They had Bobby Dodd lit like I've never seen it.
100% agree. Tech needs a culture change. It seems like they have embraced the nerd culture, and that doesn't really sell for elite athletes. I very seriously doubt that GT academics will suffer if they try and make it a "cool " place to play, but a lot of the older fans need to embrace it too. You can't complain about how we don't get solid players, but then ***** when they play Mo Bamba. Just my 2 cents.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure these clowns know what they are talking about. Wiz is our Jeff Fischer? Mmmmk. Eligibility/admissions aren't as difficult as Stanford/NW but harder than Miss schools? GTFOH
So these guys say we are a great job and you call them clowns. Very smart

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
yeah not the best way to keep people on our side. I agree that it is easier to get into GT on the athletics side than it is Stanford or Northwestern, but the issue has always been staying eligible. At those two schools you have places to hide people, at GT there is no hiding...Calculus is always going to find you.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

It's just amazing. Somebody compliments your program and you tell them they know nothing. "We are a terrible job and we are lucky to finish 500 despite a solid tradition." It's like some of our fans just want us to be terrible. It's just mind-boggling to me.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It's just amazing. Somebody compliments your program and you tell them they know nothing. "We are a terrible job and we are lucky to finish 500 despite a solid tradition." It's like some of our fans just want us to be terrible. It's just mind-boggling to me.

The arrogance and elitism of some of GT fan base is a HUGE turnoff. When one of the board members dismissed Tony Elliot’s industrial engineering degree & college GPA because he went to Clemson, that’s a problem of mentality.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The arrogance and elitism of some of GT fan base is a HUGE turnoff. When one of the board members dismissed Tony Elliot’s industrial engineering degree & college GPA because he went to Clemson, that’s a problem of mentality.

What does that have to do with being a football coach? If anything, an IE degree could help him understand “moneyball” type stats for recruiting, play calling, etc.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
What does that have to do with being a football coach? If anything, an IE degree could help him understand “moneyball” type stats for recruiting, play calling, etc.

I think the advantage is that he understands the value of a good education and how to balance academics and football. His personal story could sell very well with recruits and parents. If we go with someone with no HC experience, he may be the one worth taking that risk on, IMO.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="BigDaddyBuzz, post: 500362, member: 955"]It’s crazy how some of our fans think. Drives me nuts. Most of the national media folks say this is a great job and the best job on the market. Why argue with the very positive press.[/QUOTE]
I agree, drives me nuts and for me it's a short drive.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
For what it's worth - regarding Ken Whisenhunt - I spoke with a source close to the beginning stages of the search, and was told to not worry about anything materializing from the Ken Whisenhunt rumors. I can say with utmost confidence and near certainty that Ken Whisenhunt will not be the next head coach

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth - regarding Ken Whisenhunt - I spoke with a source close to the beginning stages of the search, and was told to not worry about anything materializing from the Ken Whisenhunt rumors. I can say with utmost confidence and near certainty that Ken Whisenhunt will not be the next head coach

Thank you. Please come back ASAP with a similar post about Brent Key.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Hear anything about Tony Elliot?

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Since people are already asking, I might as well say this now - that is all I have heard. I have currently not heard anything else regarding any other candidates (or if I have, I don't trust the source as much as I trust the above)

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone here think GT REALLY has the potential to be a sleeping giant? I never went to Tech and don’t know how truly difficult classes are, and how they affect recruiting. But can anyone give me their opinion on if it is possible or not?

The Atlantic has Clemson as their sleeping giant. Could Tech be the Coastals?