SbNation Podcast on GT Coaching Situation

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Does anyone here think GT REALLY has the potential to be a sleeping giant? I never went to Tech and don’t know how truly difficult classes are, and how they affect recruiting. But can anyone give me their opinion on if it is possible or not?

The Atlantic has Clemson as their sleeping giant. Could Tech be the Coastals?

Depends on the context. Sleeping giant as perennial Top10? No. Sleeping giant as we should have a strangle hold on the Coastal for the next 3-4 yrs? Yes

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
All the talk about embracing Atlanta culture and trying to emulate Atlanta United is really dumb and doesn't understand Atlanta Dynamics.

We just need to get better at being a Southern College football program. There are already templates and examples for ways we should be improving at all the schools within 4 hours of our campus that we refuse to use.

Atlanta United is a completely unique phenomenon that combines all kinds of factors that are not remotely transferable to Georgia Tech football or college and professional sports in general.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
We need a Tech/ATL ambassador a la Luther Campbell is to Miami (c'mon Ludacris!) to take the recruits around town and show them a good time. Take 'em to an AUC party. Geesh, Spelman's just right down the street. All this said in the spirit of the podcast, why we're not selling ATL more. You're not gonna get it done just b/c we're home to Coca Cola and Chik-Fil-A which would be closed the day after the games anyway when you most want it.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
All the talk about embracing Atlanta culture and trying to emulate Atlanta United is really dumb and doesn't understand Atlanta Dynamics.

We just need to get better at being a Southern College football program. There are already templates and examples for ways we should be improving at all the schools within 4 hours of our campus that we refuse to use.

Atlanta United is a completely unique phenomenon that combines all kinds of factors that are not remotely transferable to Georgia Tech football or college and professional sports in general.
Not as hard as you think. It's harder to get the school and Tech people to chill out and let it happen, than it is to get everyday, non-Tech Atlantans on board. A city that has such gosh awful pro sports is looking for a team to back.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Depends on the context. Sleeping giant as perennial Top10? No. Sleeping giant as we should have a strangle hold on the Coastal for the next 3-4 yrs? Yes

To be fair, one wouldn't need to be a sleeping giant to have a strange hold over the Coastal, maybe like a napping kitten. But even then, that's perennial top 25.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone here think GT REALLY has the potential to be a sleeping giant? I never went to Tech and don’t know how truly difficult classes are, and how they affect recruiting. But can anyone give me their opinion on if it is possible or not?

Clemson is just a giant, not a sleeping giant. They've been awake for quite a few years now.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not as hard as you think. It's harder to get the school and Tech people to chill out and let it happen, than it is to get everyday, non-Tech Atlantans on board. A city that has such gosh awful pro sports is looking for a team to back.
Exactly....United saw the opportunity and turned this into a soccer town quick. I'd love to see Tech do the same...we are located in one of America's GREAT cities and should be able to leverage that.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Smh. This is so far from the truth. Atlanta United created an atmosphere in BDS better than the team that plays there regularly. How is that not transferable?

Atlanta is the music and movie capital of the world right now. Why wouldn’t we want to take an advantage of that? Why wouldn’t we want to incorporate that in our atmosphere? Did you think it hurt or helped that Carmelo Anthony, someone with no affiliation with UGA, SEC, or the South, does an interview and says he wanted to experience that atmosphere live?

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Something I haven't seen mentioned, but regardless of who the next HC is, there is virtually zero chance that several offensive assistants are retained. I fully expect Mike Sewak to be gone, and I expect that with Ron West and Craig Candeto as well. Buzz Preston might potentially stay on as WR coach and Lamar Owens may also stay on in a special teams/recruiting coordinator capacity, but both of those are doubtful as well

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer

Yes, given the right combo of coach and AD. I believe we have the right AD.