SbNation Podcast on GT Coaching Situation

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really hope this isn't the case. I am disappointed that CPJ is leaving, but I'm also excited about the potential hires. I think the "I told you so" attitude needs to go away. It is not productive in any way. I don't care how they do it (ethically), I just want the team to succeed. If we need to stick with the TO to do that, so be it. If we need to switch to an NFL style offense or go Air Raid, I am all for those too. I just want to be competitive and I think that Stansbury is going to give us that chance with his decision.

EXACTLY!

Unfortunately, if you read some posts in the various threads, too many "fans" are being selfish about this and not hoping for what's best for our beloved program

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I suggest you go to the hospital then.

You must have missed the multiple "Wait till GT loses next year..." posts going on. We haven't even named a coach and our fans expect us to lose because the next guy isn't CPJ or an ex CPJ assistant.

Slow down. You said you worry a “majority” of our fans “want” Tech to lose under the new coach. A small handful of message board fans saying they are worried we will lose more and will regret CPJ leaving certainly does not get within even the same galaxy as supporting that statement.

I am one who thinks there is a very real chance we may not be better under the new coach. And I think a guy like Monken could do well here. But I also think we can be successful under multiple systems, will support whatever new coach we hire (unless it is Lane Kiffen lol), and 100% want the new coach to win every single game. Pretty sure the vast majority of fans, including the “CPJ supporters,” feel the same.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As an FYI, over the last 11 years, we played UGA, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and VT collectively about 50 times. Of those games, the opponent was ranked over half the time. And yet we managed to win almost 40% of those games. Yes, while that could be better, that is more than the definition of “being competitive.”

Right now, Clemson and UGA (along with Alabama) are on a whole nother level from the rest of college football and we are definitely on a bad run against them. So too is all of college football. They are a combined 48-5 over the last two years, with 2 of those 5 losses coming in the national title game against Alabama.

That said, we did beat each of Miami, FSU, and VT the last time we played them, so let’s not pretend our current bad run against a pretty decent Duke somehow means we are no longer competitive with any of those teams.

We can be, we should be, and we are. And I hope we will continue to be under the new coach.

LOL.

Thanks...you're just reiterating my point. GT is VERY capable of competing against those teams. We did it before CPJ, and we'll do it after CPJ.

No one coach or system is the only one for GT. Some people can't see that and make excuses why GT cant do this or can't do that...and all of a sudden it becomes about what they believe and not about the program having success. Some people would rather be right then have GT succeed (we saw something similar with the fire CPJ crowd).

If you don't believe that type of thinking exists among our fans, I need you to pass me whatever you're drinking.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Slow down. You said you worry a “majority” of our fans “want” Tech to lose under the new coach. A small handful of message board fans saying they are worried we will lose more and will regret CPJ leaving certainly does not get within even the same galaxy as supporting that statement.

Oh dear lord, now it's about semantics

Have a good day buddy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. I expect an overhaul of coaches on the offensive side of the ball, but depending on who is hired, they may or may not make changes to the defensive side. However, it is certainly possible and perhaps even probable that whoever becomes the head coach would want a say in their entire staff and may not retain any coaches from the defensive side either

IMO, the coach with the highest probability of being retained is McCollum. His ability to recruit and knowledge of our recruiting landscape is invaluable. He's probably the candidate with the highest probability of being poached as well.

We'll see...

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the coach with the highest probability of being retained is McCollum. His ability to recruit and knowledge of our recruiting landscape is invaluable. He's probably the candidate with the highest probability of being poached as well.

We'll see...
He's got to be close to retirement age too?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

We'll see...
I would agree but if they interview him for the Head Coaches job and pass by him I don't remember too many in that case staying. No win if you don't interview him it looks bad . I hope the next head coach keeps him I think the little I have read he likes it here.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Oh dear lord, now it's about semantics

Have a good day buddy.

It is not about semantics, it is about having a rational, civil discourse. Making blatantly exaggerated and inflammatory statements about those that disagree with you and then saying (oh, that was just semantics) is a core part of what has made this board a miserable place the last year.

Now is a perfect opportunity for everyone to get past that, get on the same page, and get behind a new coach and new opportunity. You and I both agree on that. As do 99+% of Tech fans.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
It's because a lot of our fans have chicken little syndrome and refuse to believe GT can be at least competitive with programs like Clemson/UGA/FSU/etc. Doesn't mean we will always beat them, but we can give those programs a good run for their money. It's a built in excuse some GT fans have melted into their brain over the years because for some reason it makes them feel better about losing to those teams...and now, losing to teams like Duke/Pitt/USF...yuck.

Some of our fans forget GT was the original "smart school". At one time, we had the 2nd longest bowl streak, and that's when bowls were actually hard to qualify for.

My belief is you get what you expect out of life. Crazy thing is, GT fans have the highest expectations coming out of school and expect the most from their careers and ability to make a living, yet expect less than the best from our school's athletic program. GT has limitations, but those limitations are not as bad as some want to make it out to be. Otherwise, our HC opening would not be one of the better openings right now.

One of my biggest fears for this coaching search is a majority of our fans WANT GT to find a bad coach because it give them ammunition to say "I told you so...GT just can't compete...we have too much working against us...yada yada..." It's like GT failing will make them feel better about their low expectations. That's f'ing horrible...

And right here we have the post of the week. Techster I’ve talked about self fulfilling prophecies on this board several times but apparently most of this don’t believe in the concept.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
As an FYI, over the last 11 years, we played UGA, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and VT collectively about 50 times. Of those games, the opponent was ranked over half the time. And yet we managed to win almost 40% of those games. Yes, while that could be better, that is more than the definition of “being competitive.”

Right now, Clemson and UGA (along with Alabama) are on a whole nother level from the rest of college football and we are definitely on a bad run against them. So too is all of college football. They are a combined 48-5 over the last two years, with 2 of those 5 losses coming in the national title game against Alabama.

That said, we did beat each of Miami, FSU, and VT the last time we played them, so let’s not pretend our current bad run against a pretty decent Duke somehow means we are no longer competitive with any of those teams.

We can be, we should be, and we are. And I hope we will continue to be under the new coach.

24-24 over the last 4 years is not where we need to be as a program. Let’s not pretend the status quo was working.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
24-24 over the last 4 years is not where we need to be as a program. Let’s not pretend the status quo was working.
Not fair. Before this season you and a handful of others only counted the last 3 because that was a 'trend' ... Discounting 14. Don't move the goalposts now. 22-15 or 21-16. I'm not saying that is something to write home about, but just be consistent in your criticism and don't change your ''measurements' to fit a narrative.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Another point in podcast that suggests these guys really don't get Tech.

They said something like, "They can go out and get juco transfers to help with the transition, or st like that.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Not fair. Before this season you and a handful of others only counted the last 3 because that was a 'trend' ... Discounting 14. about, but just be consistent in your criticism and don't change your ''measurements' to fit a narrative.

I’ve been nothing but consistent. The downward trend started in 15. I’m not sure how this is difficult to grasp.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is a sleeping giant and Todd Stansbury is the best thing that has come. We will be competing for championships soon. A big fast smart player beats a big fast not so smart player every time.
Thanks for your insight lol. I hope you’re right. I’ve never dealt with a coaching change before since. CPJ has been around since I’ve gotten hooked on CFB. It’s exciting and weird

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve been nothing but consistent. The downward trend started in 15. I’m not sure how this is difficult to grasp.
So let me understand your definition of consistent.

Before this season. 2 of 3 seasons have been poor, thus that shows a downward trend.

After this season. Potentially 2 of the last 3 seasons have seen 8+ wins. BUT that does not make a trend. 4 years now makes a trend.

That is consistency. At least now I understand.

I also want to add. I have no problem with a lot of the CPJ criticism. In fact, I agree with a lot of it. I just want to see consistent arguments. Not narrative driven data. I get enough of that on Fox and CNN.

Last edited:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
So let me understand your definition of consistent.

Before this season. 2 of 3 seasons have been poor, thus that shows a downward trend.

After this season. Potentially 2 of the last 3 seasons have seen 8+ wins. BUT that does not make a trend. 4 years now makes a trend.

That is consistency. At least now I understand.

I also want to add. I have no problem with a lot of the CPJ criticism. In fact, I agree with a lot of it. I just want to see consistent arguments. Not narrative driven data. I get enough of that on Fox and CNN.

Look buddy. See it how you see it. The data behind my thinking is as follows.

CPJ first 7 years 59-35

CPJ last 4 years 24-24

First 7 years 7 bowl games

Last 4 years 2 bowl games

First 7 years we were ranked at one point in the season in 5 of them

We haven’t been ranked since the second week of 2015. That’s almost 4 full seasons. This is clearly a program on the decline and it was a time for a change.

You may not agree it was time for a change but to deny this was a program on the decline is your own bit of fake news.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Look buddy. See it how you see it. The data behind my thinking is as follows.

CPJ first 7 years 59-35

CPJ last 4 years 24-24

First 7 years 7 bowl games

Last 4 years 2 bowl games

First 7 years we were ranked at one point in the season in 5 of them

We haven’t been ranked since the second week of 2015. That’s almost 4 full seasons. This is clearly a program on the decline and it was a time for a change.

You may not agree it was time for a change but to deny this was a program on the decline is your own bit of fake news.

You can cherry pick and make the numbers match your agenda.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
The funny thing is, we both want the same thing. I'm just glad I understand what consistency means to you.

And maintaining status quo does not equate to decline. It may not be the level you want, but it's not declining.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You can cherry pick and make the numbers match your agenda.

My goodness how is that cherry picking?

Is it cherry picking to say we haven’t been ranked since the second weekend in 2015?

I get so confused by some of you. Johnson has not been as successful recently as he was earlier in his career. I would love to know how you look at the numbers to come to a different conclusion. This pretty straightforward.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing is, we both want the same thing. I'm just glad I understand what consistency means to you.

And maintaining status quo does not equate to decline. It may not be the level you want, but it's not declining.

I really would love to have some data for your conclusion that GT was not on the decline so I can try to understand.