Saturday Scrimmage updates

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wish I could have been there. Thank you for the updates.

Can you give us a general write up : )

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Marco Coleman in the house

Michael Johnson was there yesterday. Good to see coach using the star players of the past with the guys!

Bk9oUgRIgAIL-D0.jpg:large

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Other reports saying Tim had the better day and Andrews looked good.

I cannot find much on defensive individual performance.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Other reports saying Tim had the better day and Andrews looked good.

I cannot find much on defensive individual performance.

That's what I'm hearing on Twitter as well. The question is was he running the offense some with the 1's or 2's...or mixed? Don't want to call Byerly a "game manager", but he certainly operates our offense very crisply from what I've seen in Spring practices and the few times he's been in.

JT looked great last Spring with the 2's, but he didn't look as great with the 1's.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well is you assume Laskey was with the ones... He made the touchdown after Laskey's big run.

That is true, sir.

Hmm...if this holds up, it'll be an interesting scenario come Game 1. You guy with the steady hand, or the guy who isn't quite as steady, but has the potential to rip off a 40+ yard run after looking mediocre the last few plays?

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Tim has a much better command of offense and it's not even close. Justin puts the ball on the ground way too much, has the weaker arm, and can't run all the plays (ie midline). Tim looked great and moved the 1s. JT was getting hammered today. Customs is the real deal that's all I got to say about that. BBack is in GREAT hands! A backs looked good running but missing a lot of blocks still. Nealy is the best player on defense hands down. The guy just gets to the ball. No one else really stood out consistently from what I could tell.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I never bought into the hype of JT, still don't, but it's just the first scrimmage sooo it's early so he has time. I wouldn't be surprised if the best overall QB talent wise ends up being MJ. Very intrigued by the kid.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
That is true, sir.

Hmm...if this holds up, it'll be an interesting scenario come Game 1. You guy with the steady hand, or the guy who isn't quite as steady, but has the potential to rip off a 40+ yard run after looking mediocre the last few plays?

I vote steady hand. A few plays equals 3 which means the Punt team is on the field.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
My brief take was that Byerly and Lasky looked good. Andrews and Custis okay. JT and Devine mediocre. Defense got into the backfield a lot. JT and Custis both put the ball on the ground. Byerly took a deep sack. Big runs from Lasky, JT, Jordan.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
No too in depth, but this is what I saw.

QB: Tim had a MUCH better day than JT did today and it wasn't even close. JT really only had two good plays, a long run where he got tackled at the one and was injured on the play, and a nice back shoulder throw to Summers for about 15-20 yards. He really needs to work on holding on to the ball. Not saying that Tim should start over JT because this is only 1 of however many practices, but strictly based off today, the offense ran much smoother with Tim at QB.

BB: After seeing him at the scrimmage today, there is ZERO doubt in my mind that Custis is the real deal. He hit the whole faster than any B back we've had since Dwyer was here, he was shiftier than you would think for someone his size, and he also seemed to have pretty good top end speed. I didn't really notice if he was blocking well or not, so that may be one thing that keeps Laskey ahead of him. As far as with the ball in his hands though, he is by far the best B-back on the team.

AB: Dennis Andrews looked like the best A-back today. Snoddy also had a couple good runs, but it was basically just him beating our second string defense to the corner on the rocket toss. Not sure how well that would have worked against VT/Miami. Zenon/Days/Bostic were the rpimary A-backs runing with the ones. Didn't see Perkins out there.

Couple of other notes:
- Didn't see Waller at the scrimmage at all.
- Demond Smith was with the ones on defense.
- It looks like they're trying to incorporate some no huddle.
- Myles Autry was in attendance.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tim has a much better command of offense and it's not even close. Justin puts the ball on the ground way too much, has the weaker arm, and can't run all the plays (ie midline). Tim looked great and moved the 1s. JT was getting hammered today. Customs is the real deal that's all I got to say about that. BBack is in GREAT hands! A backs looked good running but missing a lot of blocks still. Nealy is the best player on defense hands down. The guy just gets to the ball. No one else really stood out consistently from what I could tell.

That's what worries me most about JT. He's a small dude...Joe Ham was short, but he was pretty built for his size.

The AJC write-up on JT had some interesting quotes from him. He was talking about how much more banged up he feels now that he's taking more reps. That was maybe 10 days into Spring practice. Remember, our QBs don't wear a no contact jersey...they're all live. Imagine going 14-15 weeks of that, plus games. I'm not sure he's going to hold up...that's why I've been pretty adamant that Byerly will probably play a lot of snaps this season. Not only did Byerly look like he ran the offense smoother last season (something a lot of people disagreed with me on), but JT probably will get dinged up and Byerly will have to spell him (another thing people disagreed with me on).

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
That's what worries me most about JT. He's a small dude...Joe Ham was short, but he was pretty built for his size.

The AJC write-up on JT had some interesting quotes from him. He was talking about how much more banged up he feels now that he's taking more reps. That was maybe 10 days into Spring practice. Remember, our QBs don't wear a no contact jersey...they're all live. Imagine going 14-15 weeks of that, plus games. I'm not sure he's going to hold up...that's why I've been pretty adamant that Byerly will probably play a lot of snaps this season. Not only did Byerly look like he ran the offense smoother last season (something a lot of people disagreed with me on), but JT probably will get dinged up and Byerly will have to spell him (another thing people disagreed with me on).

In what games did Byerly look better in last season?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought he ran the offense well against Miami after Vad got the boot and JT was knocked out.

Was pretty efficient moving the offense against Syracuse...but all QBs did...same for the AL A&M game.

He looked pretty good all last Spring in the scrimmage I attended.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought he ran the offense well against Miami after Vad got the boot and JT was knocked out.

Was pretty efficient moving the offense against Syracuse...but all QBs did...same for the AL A&M game.

A game where we're losing by 20+ in the final minute and Miami is playing their walk-ons is a limited sample size. From what I saw, JT looked better against Syracuse, BYU and Clemson than Byerly did all year. But maybe TB has surpassed him this year. I'd be shocked.