Saturday Scrimmage updates

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Concerns: OL, just didn't block that well at times. Very rarely blocked backside of the play.
QB: JT fumbles too much when he gets hit from the side or behind and struggled with the mesh.
AB: didn't block on the perimeter at all. Snoddyand Andrews looked OK at times but #9 just was overmatched when it came to blocking.

Positives: QB: Byrerly. He ran the offense and actually ran the TO a few times and looked good. It might have been a little slow but that should get better with more reps. He ran the hurry up offense pretty well too. He seems to manage the game well.

BB: Laskey is a hoss. I thought he blocked well today. That was something that I watched closely. Wilson looked pretty slow through the mesh. Custis is going to be good and should be able to spell Laskey some. He appeared to be the only BB that fumbled today. Connors didn't seem to play that much. Laskey is easily our biggest BB. If Custis is 6'0 then Laskey is 6'4. They were standing together and it's not that close size wise.

Defense: I thought the #1 D played well. There is a huge and I mean huge drop off after that on the DL. Kallon looked like what I read.....soft. Freeman played well on the end.

Long way to go but I'm most concerned about the lack of consistency that our projected starting QB showed today. He did have a couple nice runs but no way we can afford to turn over the ball like that this year and win any games. He has quite a bit to work on IMO before he is game ready come late August.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A game where we're losing by 20+ in the final minute and Miami is playing their walk-ons is a limited sample size. From what I saw, JT looked better against Syracuse, BYU and Clemson than Byerly did all year. But maybe TB has surpassed him this year. I'd be shocked.

Yeah, the same circumstances JT came it during Miami...which underscores my point about JT holding up to getting hit at his size.

JT had one great run against Syracuse...but Syracuse defended us as well a someone a could without watching video of our offense ever. Inept would be kind in describing how clueless they defended us which their own coach pretty much admitted.

Those are my observations. They seem to be coming to fruition now that both are getting more time under center without Vad. We'll see, just one scrimmage, but it certainly isn't promising when you're handed the keys to the car and you have a problem operating it after 3 years practicing.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I also thought it was interesting to to see us run the no-huddle offense. When we did that we motioned the aback to see how the defense would react then check out of the play. I remember seeing Navy and Army doing that a lot. Don't really remember us doing that..sooo glad we are now

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, the same circumstances JT came it during Miami...which underscores my point about JT holding up to getting hit at his size.

JT had one great run against Syracuse...but Syracuse defended us as well a someone a could without watching video of our offense ever. Inept would be kind in describing how clueless they defended us which their own coach pretty much admitted.

Those are my observations. They seem to be coming to fruition now that both are getting more time under center without Vad. We'll see, just one scrimmage, but it certainly isn't promising when you're handed the keys to the car and you have a problem operating it after 3 years practicing.

The whole nonchalant attitude about losing Vad may bite us.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
In addition to all the posts above, the defensive backs were unimpressive.

Beau Hankins made a couple nice plays. Custis looked good for only practicing two weeks but I wouldn't go so far as to say he was the best bback out there. Laskey and conners played well also. Summers played well.

Tackle is going to be a weak spot again next year. The o line looked out of shape.

At one point JHD was getting on the defense for "quitting". Cheeks played a lot at DE

Injuries - Devine went down as a heat casualty and JT looked to have injured his left shoulder.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The whole nonchalant attitude about losing Vad may bite us.

Vad is a BIG loss no matter how much our fans want to talk themselves into "JT is a better fit for our offense anyhow". Experience in this system against live bullets is a premium...as we're seeing with JT and his lack of time in it. Vad could also make plays with his arm as we saw against Pitt, UGA, and the first half of Miami. He didn't run our offense perfectly, but that comes with time. He had a pretty good season for a first time starter.

For the sake of our sanity, lets hope JT or Byerly (or MJ) grow exponentially with every snap heading into the meat of our schedule.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.............. Injuries - Devine went down as a heat casualty and JT looked to have injured his left shoulder.

Thanks a lot guys. It was worth opening up the scrimmage just so we could get some unfiltered reports. The coaches are always going to talk coach speak till they stop breathing.

JT's injury is what I posted before about HAVING to have 2 QBs in every game. Our QB takes a lot of hits and runs a lot more than most. JN was the warrior but after him, everyone else gets tired and banged up. THen they lose efficiency and are more likely to get hit with more damage. If our O Line doesn't get better, I may start calling for 3 QBs in every game!

Great to hear about Custis and Byerly. Laskey I had no doubts about being in shape for Spring. He has his stuff together. The guy runs like a garbage truck ...... not pretty but he will hit you and keep on going.

Well have to see other teams to see how good the D is, but all these reports are positive and non-negative. Best I hoped for in Spring. Other than the big drop off from 1s to 2s. But we knew that given our recruiting depth. We don't have 4 stars to step in on 2nd string.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for all the updates. Attendance may have suffered due to the last minute change of plans to open it to the public. Its hard to tell much this early, on but it sounds to me like my observations about the BBacks will come true. Glad both Laskey and Custis looked solid. Im pulling hard for MJ to be our QB as early as next season if JT turns out to not be the answer. No disrespect to Byerly, But MJ has the size and speed to Byerlys just having size. I had a feeling our Dline wouldnt look so hot. JHD will grow into a good DE. Need our backups to have a higher floor than they have now. I expect this team to be much better by game 3 of the season. Its alot harder hitting your teammates than the enemy. Go Jackets! Work hard and try to improve everyday.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Vad is a BIG loss no matter how much our fans want to talk themselves into "JT is better fit for our offense anyhow". Experience in this system against live bullets is a premium...as we're seeing with JT and his lack of time in it. Vad could also make plays with his arm as we saw against Pitt, UGA, and the first half of Miami. He didn't run our offense perfectly, but that comes with time. He had a pretty good season for a first time starter

For the sake of our sanity, lets hope JT or Byerly (or MJ) grow exponentially with every snap heading into the meat of our schedule.

HUGE Loss..
I hoping a combo of JT & Tim will lead us this coming season, like Duke had their QB's share snaps during the season.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow

Actually, JT had two long runs against Syracuse, one a TD and another inside the five that set up a TD. I'll take JT with his body of work (BYU, Syracuse and Clemson) over a guy who's had one good drive in his career.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Actually, JT had two long runs against Syracuse, one a TD and another inside the five that set up a TD. I'll take JT with his body of work (BYU, Syracuse and Clemson) over a guy who's had one good drive in his career.

I'll take the guy who will actually hold on to the ball, and can stay in the game after the physical demands of the position.

Explosive speed is great...but it does the team no good if that speed is on the sidelines.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I still have faith in Justin. He ran the ball a lot I high school at the best high school football program in Alabama and possibly the country. He has skills, he just has to get a grasp on the offense and learn to get down anytime that he has the chance. Michael Vick has an issue holding on to the ball too but I'd still take him at quarterback in our offense. We need the explosive ability more than Tevin 2.0 in my opinion. Glad to hear the BBs look good. I hope both guys get a lot of reps this year and year up the middle of defenses. I think we need that second OL coach because it sounds like they're struggling against our average DL. I'm ready for the season to start now, go jackets!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think you guys are being a bit hard on Justin. Give the guy a chance he and Tim will both get some playing time in the first few games. Tevin and Josh both put the ball on the ground early on.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The QB situation will work itself out by the play of the QBs. JT is explosive and has huge upside, TB is the steady, workman QB and MJ will learn and grow. Right now, I'm good with them getting their reps and letting their performance be evaluated by the ones who get paid to make the decision. Between now and the start of the season it'll sort itself out.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
My quick observ. got to head to a Masters/BBQ outing...

1. As people previously stated, Tim Bylerly looks like the starting QB to me. Just based off of watching this scrimmage, JT still has the play making ability to make nothing into something but he fumbles way too much and doesn't look as smooth running the offense.

2. Nealy was a man out there today...he must have had about 10 tackles today with 3-4 behind the LOS, with 2 sacks on blitzes. If he plays like that all season that would be a huge strength for our D.

3. OL was just ok, Braun jumped offsides like 3 times in the scrimmage...no idea what he was doing out there.

4. Custis ran extremely well today from the BB spot with blocking just being ok, he has great field vision and cutting ability. He does look a lot leaner in person than I thought he would look. But he had several runs that were in the 8-12 yard range.

5. Our Dbs were all over the WRs today...don't know if that's an indication of weak play by our WR or our DBs are just really solid, hopefully the 2nd option.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure that hit JT took in the Miami game underscores your point exactly. That's not the usual kind of hit our QB's take in this offense and I think most QB's would have been shaken up after a hit like that.

I still think the concern about his durability is overblown. Yea he's a little on the small side. But I don't think it means he's going to break when someone touches him.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
It does sound like the B Back position is in good hands, I keep waiting for Andrews to step forward at A Back and it sounds like he had a pretty good day.
I just like having true runners of the football at Bback. Sims filled in well the past couple of years, but ive always thought Laskey had more ability. Hearing that Custis looked every bit as good today , has my mouth watering a little. Weve been missing an above average athlete at this spot. Now we have some that will see the field.