Saturday Scrimmage updates

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand what the stats suggest. Believe me. Im giving a personal opinion on the 2. The eye test so to say. I just wish CPJ would have given Laskey the majority of carries for 1 whole game and see what happens. Are we going to have to wait on everybody to graduate before anybody else gets a shot to show what they can do as the MAN? Its all speculation until the season begins, but our BBack Play has been ultra vanilla lately and I think that will change having true RBs playing BBACK. Vision, cutting abilities, ability to stay on feet after contact. That stuff goes a long ways in making that position more explosive. Not 3 yard gains and a trip when there is a play to be made.

I agree. Laskey was a running back coming out of high school. Sims was a QB. It showed IMO.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
OK, but that track speed was run down by PC.
What I was saying is that he is fast in a straight line and not quick. He seemed to be slow in and out of cuts or stopping and starting. I think he is tight in the hips and not fluid. Track speed doesn't mean that somebody has 4.3 speed, but that somebody that is fast is only fast in a straight line.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
For those 10 pass attempts a game they could put in an OT for all I care. The rush was coming on 3rd down regardless if u tip em off or not. For the other 3 or 4 passes not on 3rd down, ill live with Laskey back there if hes getting more YAC than Sims and catching more passes also. Bback is almost the last position I worry about blocking skills at. If Custis turns out to be JD 2.0 but has some troubles blocking occasionally... and Laskey turns out to be like Sims... R u gonna suggest we go with Laskey over Custis? JW

You missed the second part of my post which is bb blocking on run plays.

Our running problem is our ol. Many of dwyers long runs he was untouched for 15 yards. Maybe more.

The point here is if laskey becomes sims (they had similar numbers but david blocked better) and custis doesnt block well and our ol still struggles then yes i go with zach because with a struggling ol blocking is now that much more important.

Fact is over 100s of rushing attempts zach and david had very similar numbers where blocking can outweigh the starter. Now if custis rips off 10 yards per carry and zach is still 5. Then yes. That is too big and i pull zach. But with sims and zach they were so close.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
say what you want but Vad wasn't fast on the field in 2013. Really no arguing that.

Also he was a 4.5 guy in the 40...which is plenty fast enough. But that speed never showed up on the field in 2013.
JT ran a 4.28 at Alabama, which was the fastest time they recorded all year in workouts of all their prospects. He may be a step slower than the kid from Carrolton but he also has exceptional change of direction. The important thing to remember is just how slow 4.5 looks if your not comfortable in the offense. Here is hoping that his talent reflects on the field and is not slowed by lack of execution like his predecessor.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
He could run the offense. Vad couldn't. It's pretty simple.

Probably hand timed by high school coaches which means they're most likely nowhere near accurate. If you think Vad could actually run a 4.45 you're disconnected from reality.
agree with your HS coaching satement. When I was coaching in Dekalb, most of the FB coaches started the clock on the players movement. I had 1st and 3rd place winners in 4A state 100 in 1984 that ran 4.54 and 4.57 out of the blocks on the gun just to prove a point after seeing the reported 4.3s that were off our football team. The same 4.3s were on our track team but could not make our 4x 100 relay. Some 10 years later, I was given a recruiting guide that the staff at Brookwood put together for college coaches. I had never seen so many 4.5 times in my life. Surprise, I knew half the staff and previously worked with two coaches when they were in Dekalb. I have no idea how The university of Alabama times the kids at camp, but I do know they have some of the most outstanding talent to grace the field of any D1 school. I also know JT was the only sub 4.3 they timed that year. The funny thing about football is that you actually have to play it well before you can get up to your footspeed. J. Nesbitt and TW were slower than Vad on the clock but played faster. The plus side to JT is when he plays slow it will be faster than most and if he ever plays fast (comfortable in the offense) it will be faster than anyone has ever run PJs offense. I am certainly in my seat to see what happens. I love the upside.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing about football is that you actually have to play it well before you can get up to your footspeed. J. Nesbitt and TW were slower than Vad on the clock but played faster. The plus side to JT is when he plays slow it will be faster than most and if he ever plays fast (comfortable in the offense) it will be faster than anyone has ever run PJs offense. I am certainly in my seat to see what happens. I love the upside.
So true. JT is still figuring out "where to go" in this offense. Once he does, Katy bar the door!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
If you trust your coaches we should all be happy and good with who they choose as the starters. Many fans dont think guys like sewak know what they are doing and challenge the decisions. With offensive personnel not the OL many for what ever reason think pj is off too. To be honest paul has been right everytime at qb. So no need to doubt his choice. The execution of said qb can fluctuate game to game like any qb whether great or good, but the reality is pauls choices at qb over a season have been correct.

So if tb wins it great. He gives us the best chance to win. If not great then jt gives us the best chance.
I know the correct decision will be made concerning the QB . I have not been one to second guess PJ. I have not changed my thoughts on our staff and this year is not at all a make or break for me.. That being said, my excitement concerning JT is based on his physical talent not on his current play.

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
JT ran a 4.28 at Alabama, which was the fastest time they recorded all year in workouts of all their prospects. He may be a step slower than the kid from Carrolton but he also has exceptional change of direction. The important thing to remember is just how slow 4.5 looks if your not comfortable in the offense. Here is hoping that his talent reflects on the field and is not slowed by lack of execution like his predecessor.

When it comes to unofficial times, I always add 0.15 seconds to it and that'll be closer to official times that are posted for the NFL combine. That would put JT at 4.43, which is Sammy Watkins type speed. Still pretty damn fast.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
You missed the second part of my post which is bb blocking on run plays.

Our running problem is our ol. Many of dwyers long runs he was untouched for 15 yards. Maybe more.

The point here is if laskey becomes sims (they had similar numbers but david blocked better) and custis doesnt block well and our ol still struggles then yes i go with zach because with a struggling ol blocking is now that much more important.

Fact is over 100s of rushing attempts zach and david had very similar numbers where blocking can outweigh the starter. Now if custis rips off 10 yards per carry and zach is still 5. Then yes. That is too big and i pull zach. But with sims and zach they were so close.
I understand your logic. But from what I saw on the field it made me more confident in Zach. Id be in the stands after Laskey made a nice run... then he went to the sidelines for Sims. Sims gets several carries of 2 or 3 yards. Laskey comes back in and gets stopped at the LOS. But this time he stays on the field and his next carry is a 15-20 yd gain. I think Laskeys numbers are a lil skewed due to sporadic carries spread out between each other. Not back to back so he can get in a groove. Which is nice to have at the RB position. But we can agree to disagree. But look out for the Bbacks this season. All im saying.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for the response. Not trying to bust your chops but here is the information we as fans do not get sometimes. The DB's are being taught a new technique. I myself am not a fan of it because it cause them to get beat and they have to depend on their athletic ability to recover. Which is not always easy when you are defending someone with the speed of Sammy Watkins. One thing that we noticed was the corners being asked to watch for the receiver to make a break and then drive to cut off the route. Bad move. It is difficult to recover. Another concern I have is the corners giving to much of a cushion. They will get beat all day on short routs. It also eliminates the opportunity to knock a receiver off his route. Our DB's are also being taught to punch a receiver in the chest. This was a old technique used when I was in the league but it changed because receivers got smart and began knocking the DB's off balance while the DB's arms are extended. The technique widely used now is the quick jam of the shoulder. This works because it knocks the receiver off balance just long enough so that the DB can read the receivers hips. I think the world of coach Speed but I think in order for our corners to get better, I think they need a coach that can coach the guys up. Speed would be great as an assistant LB coach under Roof. I just noticed the DB play has declined the last couple of years. As far as the Safeties. I think Roof will get these guys game ready. Thanks for sharing brother and I look forward to this season. Go Jackets!!!!

No worries, looking forward to the game tonight.

I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying and now that you have posted it everything I saw makes more sense. That style of defending will be extremely difficult against teams like Clemson, UM and UNC that always have speed.