Ryan Johnson needs to...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
...take a deep breath and set some realistic expectations.

"I want to win a championship, and I want to be holding a ring, and I want to be holding a trophy at the end of the season.”

Ryan Johnson believes 'something special' is ahead for Georgia Tech

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-for-georgia-tech/M46SZ2AXTVAJTMHV7JE637P63Y/

(Via AJC)
"Happy talk, keep talking happy talk,
Talk about things you'd like to do,
You gotta have a dream, if you don't have a dream,
How you gonna have a dream come true?"

bikeseat

GT Athlete
With fans like these, who needs enemies? Good lord.

Posts like these make me question why I am a part of this community. I genuinely wonder what the original poster is like in real life. Are you that incredibly miserable?

this fan base is torn between expecting the team to compete for the Coastal in the 2nd year of a new head coach & then also not being too confident in their abilities.

Maybe it's a GT thing, where having confidence and optimism is beaten out of you? It's sad, I had to say it but we need less fans that are "betas".

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a grown man who has played a lot of college football saying this. He’s obviously intelligent based on his studies and reasons he chose GT.

On top of that, he sees what we’ve got in the locker room, knows our competition, and knows who may still be coming in.

Why some random, most likely non athlete, feels the need to come here and trash him is astounding.

If we do land this new OL, our OL next year will look completely different with a ton of game experience. And if this new guy is a tackle, it may push out (or to a new spot) one of if not the best OL we had last year.

On top of that, our DL will be completely different (more size and talent) with our best pieces from last year back, most of our secondary returns, and we picked up what looks to be a solid LB with experience to fill in Curry’s spot.

Lastly, we return a high ceiling QB (with hopefully a full spring and fall), potentially the best RB room in the ACC, and some talented WRs (along with a productive and experienced WR) as well.

I don’t know what we will do next year, but to act like we can’t at least win the coastal seems a bit far fetched to me.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This is a grown man who has played a lot of college football saying this. He’s obviously intelligent based on his studies and reasons he chose GT.

On top of that, he sees what we’ve got in the locker room, knows our competition, and knows who may still be coming in.

Why some random, most likely non athlete, feels the need to come here and trash him is astounding.

If we do land this new OL, our OL next year will look completely different with a ton of game experience. And if this new guy is a tackle, it may push out (or to a new spot) one of if not the best OL we had last year.

On top of that, our DL will be completely different (more size and talent) with our best pieces from last year back, most of our secondary returns, and we picked up what looks to be a solid LB with experience to fill in Curry’s spot.

Lastly, we return a high ceiling QB (with hopefully a full spring and fall), potentially the best RB room in the ACC, and some talented WRs (along with a productive and experienced WR) as well.

I don’t know what we will do next year, but to act like we can’t at least win the coastal seems a bit far fetched to me.

I imagine unc and miami will be the favorites, but it isn't like we have a Clemson in our division. Every coastal team save Duke should expect to compete for it.

I won't pile on the OP. He has taken his medicine

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Someone on the Bucs said that the best thing Tom Brady brought to them was the confidence that they were playing to win a SB that year

It's a good point.

On the other hand, Tom Brady has more Super Bowl rings than any NFL franchise...

Milwaukee

Banned
I'll admit I was a little pissed of at something entirely unrelated last night when I read and posted this, which likely influenced my reaction. I probably should have just chuckled and went on being pissed off. Specifically calling out Ryan Johnson wasn't necessary.

That said, if a returning Sr. O Lineman for Duke, FSU, or Wake said something similar many of you guys would be laughing to yourselves (but admittedly not posting on a message board about it).

But look of course I want the team to want to win. I spend a ridiculous amount of my life watching, cheering, being depressed when we lose, arguing with opposing fans about how good/bad we are/were, etc. to support that statement. What struck a nerve is that I believe that there is such a wide gap in the "want to" and the "ability to" win the coastal right now that the whole idea just seems foolish and that I'd rather our team focus on fixing little things that can ultimately lead to big things. I want them to show me being good instead of talking about being good...and yeah, they have to be confident to do that.

Anyway, I hope he's right and I'll eat crow all day long if he is.
You’re all good man. I didn’t take it as a slight towards RJ at all.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You’re all good man. I didn’t take it as a slight towards RJ at all.
Way to be Milwaukee. Way to show us how to have..
200.gif

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I imagine unc and miami will be the favorites, but it isn't like we have a Clemson in our division. Every coastal team save Duke should expect to compete for it.

I won't pile on the OP. He has taken his medicine
Yea I didn’t need to add that in my post either.

Mods, it’s too late for me to edit my post, but if there’s a way to take that one sentence out of my post, please do.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'll admit I was a little pissed of at something entirely unrelated last night when I read and posted this, which likely influenced my reaction. I probably should have just chuckled and went on being pissed off. Specifically calling out Ryan Johnson wasn't necessary.

That said, if a returning Sr. O Lineman for Duke, FSU, or Wake said something similar many of you guys would be laughing to yourselves (but admittedly not posting on a message board about it).

But look of course I want the team to want to win. I spend a ridiculous amount of my life watching, cheering, being depressed when we lose, arguing with opposing fans about how good/bad we are/were, etc. to support that statement. What struck a nerve is that I believe that there is such a wide gap in the "want to" and the "ability to" win the coastal right now that the whole idea just seems foolish and that I'd rather our team focus on fixing little things that can ultimately lead to big things. I want them to show me being good instead of talking about being good...and yeah, they have to be confident to do that.

We all have those moments where we allow other things to bleed into each other and impact how we act/react. I can't even count the number of times I've had to issue apologies to others in my life for letting unrelated things cause me to react to them negatively so I'm the last person who will throw stones (living in my glass house and all) :buzz:

As for Ryan's goals, I honestly am not sure whether there's a genuine possibility that next year we could be that team that makes a big jump in performance. I can't tell how wide the gap is nor where the biggest part of it is in terms of Jimmies/Joes vs Xs/Os. I can see paths to success but a lot of things have to go right for us, the first of which is health of our players followed closely by our OL and DL being solid, if not spectacular. The fact that one of our senior leaders who is also an OL sees paths to success is a good thing to me.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Mind...now rite.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We all have those moments where we allow other things to bleed into each other and impact how we act/react. I can't even count the number of times I've had to issue apologies to others in my life for letting unrelated things cause me to react to them negatively so I'm the last person who will throw stones (living in my glass house and all) :buzz:

As for Ryan's goals, I honestly am not sure whether there's a genuine possibility that next year we could be that team that makes a big jump in performance. I can't tell how wide the gap is nor where the biggest part of it is in terms of Jimmies/Joes vs Xs/Os. I can see paths to success but a lot of things have to go right for us, the first of which is health of our players followed closely by our OL and DL being solid, if not spectacular. The fact that one of our senior leaders who is also an OL sees paths to success is a good thing to me.
For one thing we don't know how much the transfers will affect the team's performance, maybe a lot or maybe just a little. For another, in this day and age of portals, opt outs, COVID, and Christ in His Heaven knows what else it is nearly impossible to judge preseason what teams like Pitt, Virginia, Virginia Tech are going to do. It is pretty easy to say Clemson, Notre Dame, UGA, UNC, and Miami are top 25 material and its a pretty safe bet that Duke, BC, and Syracuse will be bottom feeders or nearly so. The ones in the middle can catch fire at any time just as we did in 2016 after a debacle in 2015. IIWII

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
"Happy talk, keep talking happy talk,
Talk about things you'd like to do,
You gotta have a dream, if you don't have a dream,
How you gonna have a dream come true?"
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true. Or is it something worse. That sends me down to the river. Though I know the river is dry