Ryan Johnson needs to...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like your confidence, Ryan. The average age of our core returning OL is what 23? Our guys are grown men, smart and battle tested. With an experienced kicker and improved play from our Defensive front seven- we can play with anybody including the Dawgs. In 1990, they laughed at a similar prediction from Ken Swilling. I think the coaches and the players see it coming, but are smartly playing things a little under the radar for right now.
This was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that. But, not many questioned the returning 1st team All-American safety who ended a rb's season when their collision ended with the RB having bruised lungs. And all of that was in his true freshman year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
How about let’s all set the same expectations and see how we feel at the end.
The premise of your posts are inaccurate though, to put it mildly. He never said those were his expectations He said he "wanted to".
“I want to win a championship, and I want to be holding a ring, and I want to be holding a trophy at the end of the season,” he said.

Followed by:
While he acknowledged that a lot of work needs to be done first, Johnson has based his aspirations on more than talk.

And that was essentially followed by examples of how be believes the team has improved; not how we are title contenders.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
...take a deep breath and set some realistic expectations.

"I want to win a championship, and I want to be holding a ring, and I want to be holding a trophy at the end of the season.”

Ryan Johnson believes 'something special' is ahead for Georgia Tech

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-for-georgia-tech/M46SZ2AXTVAJTMHV7JE637P63Y/

(Via AJC)
WTF? Our players aren’t even allowed to “WANT” to win a championship, ring or trophy anymore? Take a lap bke.

You want those things too u dumbass.

Or maybe you don’t 🤔

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'll admit I was a little pissed of at something entirely unrelated last night when I read and posted this, which likely influenced my reaction. I probably should have just chuckled and went on being pissed off. Specifically calling out Ryan Johnson wasn't necessary.

That said, if a returning Sr. O Lineman for Duke, FSU, or Wake said something similar many of you guys would be laughing to yourselves (but admittedly not posting on a message board about it).

But look of course I want the team to want to win. I spend a ridiculous amount of my life watching, cheering, being depressed when we lose, arguing with opposing fans about how good/bad we are/were, etc. to support that statement. What struck a nerve is that I believe that there is such a wide gap in the "want to" and the "ability to" win the coastal right now that the whole idea just seems foolish and that I'd rather our team focus on fixing little things that can ultimately lead to big things. I want them to show me being good instead of talking about being good...and yeah, they have to be confident to do that.

Anyway, I hope he's right and I'll eat crow all day long if he is.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I'll admit I was a little pissed of at something entirely unrelated last night when I read and posted this, which likely influenced my reaction. I probably should have just chuckled and went on being pissed off. Specifically calling out Ryan Johnson wasn't necessary.

That said, if a returning Sr. O Lineman for Duke, FSU, or Wake said something similar many of you guys would be laughing to yourselves (but admittedly not posting on a message board about it).

But look of course I want the team to want to win. I spend a ridiculous amount of my life watching, cheering, being depressed when we lose, arguing with opposing fans about how good/bad we are/were, etc. to support that statement. What struck a nerve is that I believe that there is such a wide gap in the "want to" and the "ability to" win the coastal right now that the whole idea just seems foolish and that I'd rather our team focus on fixing little things that can ultimately lead to big things. I want them to show me being good instead of talking about being good...and yeah, they have to be confident to do that.

Anyway, I hope he's right and I'll eat crow all day long if he is.
I agree, we would snicker at a duke or wake player saying what RJ said. BUT, their fans wouldn't.

Do you honestly think our guys are not improving and working on the little things during the off season?

Whenever your emotions are raw, bad decisions are made. Let emotions past before you post again and the blowback/attacks won't be an issue.

GO TECH!!! See yall at the spring game!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t expect that we’re going to win the division, conference, or national title, but I see nothing wrong with the players aiming high. In fact I hope they put in a championship level of effort! Right now, those goals aren’t impossible, so I want the players to practice like they’re playing for the CFP trophy. My only caveat is that I would like them to continue giving that level of effort even if/when those goals become mathematically unattainable. Thank you, Go Jackets!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
If you go into anything hoping to just be average you DO NOT DESERVE to even be there. Just saying.

Keep that same energy Ryan. He will go further than most of us have in life.