Ryan Johnson needs to...

THWG

Helluva Engineer

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
...take a deep breath and set some realistic expectations.

"I want to win a championship, and I want to be holding a ring, and I want to be holding a trophy at the end of the season.”

Ryan Johnson believes 'something special' is ahead for Georgia Tech

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-for-georgia-tech/M46SZ2AXTVAJTMHV7JE637P63Y/

(Via AJC)

I mean, I get your drift and angle, but why play the game if you tell yourself preseason let's just hope to be 6-6?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Lol. You guys are funny. I’d love to win 12 games. But if (any of) our players feel this is realistic then there is a complete disconnect from reality right now.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Yeah, I want my senior leaders saying...I’m really wanting to go 5-7 this year. I know we can squeak out that 6th win for a Meineke Car Care Bowl birth. I want to wear a Meineke Car Care Bowl ring at the end of the season.

Real competitors, alpha male types, think they can play and beat anybody on any given day. That’s who I want on my team.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, because I want players with no goal of winning anything. I want them to expect to go 0-12 every year.
0-12 and win a championship are two different things. Perhaps our players should focus on doing their jobs for three plays in a row...maybe not jumping offside once on every drive...etc.

Let me put it another way...

“Playoffs?!? Are you kidding me?!? Playoffs? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game”

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Lol. You guys are funny. I’d love to win 12 games. But if (any of) our players feel this is realistic then there is a complete disconnect from reality right now.
I don’t think any of the players think going 12-0 and winning the Natty is a realistic goal. But winning the Coastal, playing in the ACCCG, and winning a bowl game are all very realistic. If you don’t think they should be setting goals like that, what should the be aspiring to do? What creates the disconnect from reality? I don’t think your expectations for what the team should/will be should be the measuring stick for realistic goals. These guys are elite athletes. They play to win. Expecting anything else out of them is accepting mediocrity. Isn’t that what we’re trying to get out of? Any player that doesn’t have genuine goals to play for/win championships is a player I don’t want on my team.

Northwestern went 3-9 in 2019. In 2020 they won their division, played for the B1G Championship, and dominated Auburn to win the Citrus Bowl. Should they not have set goals for themselves and had high expectations based on their results in 2019? GTFO

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
But winning the Coastal, playing in the ACCCG
this is unrealistic ..

and winning a bowl game
this is very realistic

If you don’t think they should be setting goals like that, what should the be aspiring to do?
Start by actually getting better in a measurable way. Don’t be among the worst teams in the county in simple things like penalties, extra points, chip shot field goals. Once you master that you will have a winning record.

Then worry about finding a way to beat really good teams (of which we have absolutely zero change right now).

Then talk about winning championships.

When you (the team) start talking about stuff like this well before you’re ready you look lazy.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
this is unrealistic ..

this is very realistic

Start by actually getting better in a measurable way. Don’t be among the worst teams in the county in simple things like penalties, extra points, chip shot field goals. Once you master that you will have a winning record.

Then worry about finding a way to beat really good teams (of which we have absolutely zero change right now).

When you (the team) start talking about stuff like this well before you’re ready you look lazy.
You’re a real ray of sunshine aren’t you? How about we let players see their goals and pull for them to reach them?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
this is unrealistic ..

this is very realistic

This is such a dumba$$ post that it’s not even worth responding to anymore. However it does make it obvious that you never played sports past the age of 12, which explains a lot.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I find it rich as f*** when people call out players, especially when they’ve never set foot on Grant Field competitively in their life. Making comments like “Perhaps our players should focus on doing their jobs for three plays in a row...maybe not jumping offside once on every drive...etc.” and patronizing kids for wanting to win every game in which they suit up in the white and gold is beyond pathetic.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I find it rich as f*** when people call out players, especially when they’ve never set foot on Grant Field competitively in their life. Making comments like “Perhaps our players should focus on doing their jobs for three plays in a row...maybe not jumping offside once on every drive...etc.” and patronizing kids for wanting to win every game in which they suit up in the white and gold is beyond pathetic.
Exactly this. If you don't think you're going to win, why even play the game? I want to see Johnson's mentality from every single player and coach.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I like your confidence, Ryan. The average age of our core returning OL is what 23? Our guys are grown men, smart and battle tested. With an experienced kicker and improved play from our Defensive front seven- we can play with anybody including the Dawgs. In 1990, they laughed at a similar prediction from Ken Swilling. I think the coaches and the players see it coming, but are smartly playing things a little under the radar for right now.