Rushing yards vs. Alcorn State

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Out of recognition of impending doom, alcorn brings 9 men into box and send 7.
We sputter at first but pass our way out of this set back

We have ok running and late in 4th look to not make the over . Then the back up qb breaks a long td run to get rushing yardage OVER.

slugboy

Staff member
I know the question is "Rushing Yardage", but we need to get all the rough edges smoothed out for the following weeks. As of now, we're projected to be underdogs the following three weeks at USF, Pitt, and Clemson (seriously), but big favorites against Alcorn State.
If we use the game wisely, we'll work on aspects of the game that don't see a lot of work, and should go over on passing yardage and passing attempts and completion percentage.
I think the question is whether we're using our first came as a tune up, or a game to stretch our skills, or if we're going to play very safe and get off the field as easy as possible.
I hope it's the second option. If it is, I'd hope for about 300 rushing and about 150-200 passing. I'm afraid we'll see about 400 rushing yards and 60 passing yards.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I know the question is "Rushing Yardage", but we need to get all the rough edges smoothed out for the following weeks. As of now, we're projected to be underdogs the following three weeks at USF, Pitt, and Clemson (seriously), but big favorites against Alcorn State.
If we use the game wisely, we'll work on aspects of the game that don't see a lot of work, and should go over on passing yardage and passing attempts and completion percentage.
I think the question is whether we're using our first came as a tune up, or a game to stretch our skills, or if we're going to play very safe and get off the field as easy as possible.
I hope it's the second option. If it is, I'd hope for about 300 rushing and about 150-200 passing. I'm afraid we'll see about 400 rushing yards and 60 passing yards.
Something is very wrong if GT doesn't get huge rushing numbers against Alcorn State..........................................just sayin':cool:

slugboy

Staff member
Something is very wrong if GT doesn't get huge rushing numbers against Alcorn State..........................................just sayin':cool:
Two years ago, against Mercer, we got 360 rushing and 60 passing, but that wasn't a good game from us. I can see similar numbers here.
We could get a lot of rushing yards against Alcorn State, but I hope we set a minimum number or frequency of passes in the game to work on that phase of the game. This year's receivers haven't caught a lot of passes yet, so they need that kind of work, and we probably need to get the extra practice pass blocking. I'd love to see 250 rushing + 250 passing, but it's just not going to happen.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We ran up 476 on the ground against them in 2015, won 69-9, and it was one of only three wins that year. I respect Alcorn State for scheduling this game, but it's a scrimmage.

Yeah, that was a misleading game. Our D got stops and our O scored practically at will. It was 48-0 at halftime. We scored a TD on our first 7 possessions and forced a 3 and out in their first 5 possessions.

Tim Byerly came when it was 34-0. Brady Swilling came in when it was 62-0.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
As we all know, johnson's M.O. is toput up as many rushing yds. as he can on weak teams. This is his way of justifing his job to T.S. I'll say 590 yds.