Roster Heights/Weights Updated on RR.com

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
One other thing.

Normally, I would look carefully into the sanity of anybody who believed the weights and heights reported for college football players. They are famous for exaggeration. However, I think the gains reported above are accurate. Part of this is just natural growth (Tobias, I think). For the OLs, though, it is the change in offense. Paul wanted his OLs to be lean mean fighting machines. The spread option required that to do all the second level blocking and pulling needed. We had some big OLs - Shamire - but most of them were told to keep their weights in control. You could see this on the field; opposing OLs usually had severe cases of Dunlops disease compared to Tech's players. Now we have an offense that requires bigger OLs for pass blocking and less mobility for the blocking schemes. And that's what we got after a season in the weight room. Give them another off season and they'll be even bigger. Good effort by the players.

They are also investing more into "quality food" now. The old strength coaches had their hands tied ( nutrition and coaches instructions) . Will left GT @ 283 lbs. 2 mths later working w the 'old staff" he was 299 and pressed 225lbs, 31 times. Will went from 260lbs to 296lbs ( 14 % body fat) from his freshman to sophomore year, and then was put on the fat man squad to lose weight... The ole OL coach did not know the difference between good weight and bad weight. You will see more gains now. Because that's the directive from above.

Last edited:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
They are also investing more into "quality food" now. The old strength coaches had their hands tied ( nutrition and coaches instructions) . Will left GT @ 283 lbs. 2 mths later working w the 'old staff" he was 299 and pressed 225lbs, 31 times. Will went from 260lbs to 296lbs ( 14 % body fat) from his freshman to sophomore year, and then was put on the fat man squad to lose weight... The ole OL coach did not know the difference between good weight and bad weight. You will see more gains now. Because that's the directive from above.
Mac

How was a lineman's balance of carbs vs proteins viewed by the previous staff? How did the previous staff view their nutrition vs what you understand the difference to be now?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Mac

How was a lineman's balance of carbs vs proteins viewed by the previous staff? How did the previous staff view their nutrition vs what you understand the difference to be now?
Not sure. I know that the only protein the school can give players has to be balanced. I think the main problem was the quality of food. They have the same nutrition folks . A lot of players live off campus so for most of their food intake your betting on college kids making good decisions. I believe they feed them on campus more now than they used to. So they are getting good calories. Working out is working out. You have to have the fuel. It looks like GT has invested in nutrition and has a coaching staff that wants heaver OL

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

Nutrition is such a huge piece. I wish we’d gotten that squared away sooner, but I’m glad we’re investing and being smart there now. Best of luck to Will!

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Nutrition is such a huge piece. I wish we’d gotten that squared away sooner, but I’m glad we’re investing and being smart there now. Best of luck to Will!
Thank you. He had a great day yesterday at the CSCCa convention. The GT Strength coach is speaking at it. Will did very good on his physical cert test. At the convention they used him as a example... He squated 545 and dead lifted 615, w the correct form. When he gets back to Atlanta he has a workout with the CFL RedBlacks... So he hs been busy :)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Sigh. What’s done is done.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Glad to see that flea is still on the board. Good luck to Will in his next phase of life.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not so sure it was much different, again people are gonna believe what they want to believe. I remember a piece in the ajc or maybe it was ramblinwreck.com about GTAA personal shoppers taking players to the grocery store to pick out food and education them on proper food choices.

Agree about Nutrition is a huge piece, it surely is!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not so sure it was much different, again people are gonna believe what they want to believe. I remember a piece in the ajc or maybe it was ramblinwreck.com about GTAA personal shoppers taking players to the grocery store to pick out food and education them on proper food choices.

I don't know that it was neglected in the past. I think they just want different body types at certain positions now. On 680, CGC talked about how he caught Quinney at Waffle House eating an egg white omlette. He proceeded to ban egg white omlettes for the OL.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck

You can "lead a horse to water". My point was in the past the players ate most meals either at the crap GT cafeteria or on their own. They are eating more meals at the stadium now than they used to. GT is coming out of the dark ages.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You can "lead a horse to water". My point was in the past the players ate most meals either at the crap GT cafeteria or on their own. They are eating more meals at the stadium now than they used to. GT is coming out of the dark ages.
Thanks for the info. Good to hear! I hope we are still trying to educate them in good nutrition/food buying.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I had a client that played OL for the Chicago Bears. He told me when he played he could put on 50 lbs during off season and could get down to playing weight before season started, and was very proud of his discipline that allowed him to do it. But when his playing days were over, he found out it wasn't his own discipline but his coach's discipline, and he was now going to Weight Watchers. :)
This same guy told me that his Weight Watchers fat lady friends talked mainly about 3 things: What they had eaten yesterday, what they had eaten today, and most importantly, what they were going to eat tomorrow.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I hope they get a discount at some of the eateries like season ticket holders

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Were some of the weights not updated? I didn’t see a change in Owens’ weight but he definitely looks bigger imo

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. Good to hear! I hope we are still trying to educate them in good nutrition/food buying.

Leah Thomas is assistant athletic director of student-athlete development within the Georgia Tech Athletic Association, responsible for overseeing the wellness and development of more than 400 Georgia Tech student-athletes. She was a founding member of the Collegiate & Professional Sports Dietitians Association (CPSDA), an organization that supports registered dietitians working in performance settings.

Thomas is a finalist for the Allied Health Professional award in the 2019 Health Care Heroes Awards sponsored by Atlanta Business Chronicle.
She is a 2004 Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier.
She plans to continue developing and tweaking Tech’s in-game fueling plans and to increase her presence on the road with various teams in the coming year. Thomas said she also hopes hopefully hire on full-time the nutrition intern that she has had for two years, and “eventually mold the sports nutrition department to look more like a sports medicine staff – where each team has a dietitian that works with them (or an intern/student).” Tech’s athletic director is leading a fundraising campaign to build a more modern building, as well, she said.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I have to shake my head in amazement. We’re one of the world’s leading technological institutes but we have been applying nothing in the way of advanced ANYTHING to help us compete at a high level. We have a new coach, a new AD and soon a new President. I hope they keep looking out from under the rock & work to get us nearly on the same footing as the teams we’re competing against. Maybe then we’ll have half a chance.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Would love if she would also push on the school to add technology based fitness/nutrition/etc majors. GT could be a leader in progress in those industries but currently are almost completely absent.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if SA's can legally be paid by the school to participate in academic research studies? Typically that income is treated as employment I think. I believe that SA's can be employed in positions around the school (like cafeteria work, etc.) If so, we could have our best SA's participate in a long-term rolling five-year research project to see how nutrition affects athletic performance. It would be a great way to give them a legit job with low time commitments that directly relates to their role as SA's.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Would love if she would also push on the school to add technology based fitness/nutrition/etc majors. GT could be a leader in progress in those industries but currently are almost completely absent.

I’ve said before that the most desperately needed field in business right now is digital communications coupled with advanced analytics. Basically, how do you communicate on Twitter to customers and how do you analyze consumer sentiment in real time to evaluate success/failure of messaging or products.

Imagine the value to Chipotle a few years ago from monitoring Facebook to find an abnormal number of illness reports in a specific region, using that to pin point restaurants with problems.

GT is already a world leader in Advanced Analytics. Coupling that with digital communications would close the gap.

How does that impact football? Imagine going into a recruit’s house and tell him that 1) he can major in Twitter and 2) if he doesn’t make the NFL, he can make $250+ per year running social media for Fortune 500 companies (and all of that is true).