Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Dis like this 100x . What a crap passing attack we have. 100% blame in on cpj.
If CPJ won't give up his ole buddy Sewak, he needs to go. We can't continue to go on finishing seasons with 5 serviceable scholarship linemen on the field. Offensively, we were moving folks early on. We just fizzled at the end. Guys that get banged up from a season of the style of blocking we do need depth behind him. The mickey mouse recruiting tactics we use of offering local kids late, letting Duke and Virginia Tech sweep Atlanta area prospects away from us, demonstrate our OL recruiting is a flat FAILURE, and it has become obvious Sewak and CPJ are too stubborn to address the issue. We've got some good OL, just not enough of them. And injuries and attrition will happen!

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't say every spread. I said most. It is possible I haven't watched all spread offenses. The ones I have watched use short passers to compensate for a poor rushing attack or when the defense gears up for the run in running situations. Is that better Atl?
If you haven't watched enough spread to see the ones that run, you aren't qualified to have this discussion. It's as prevalent as the pass heavy spread. I think you're seeing what you want because it helps your point. You're still wrong, though.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
If CPJ won't give up his ole buddy Sewak, he needs to go. We can't continue to go on finishing seasons with 5 serviceable scholarship linemen on the field. Offensively, we were moving folks early on. We just fizzled at the end. Guys that get banged up from a season of the style of blocking we do need depth behind him. The mickey mouse recruiting tactics we use of offering local kids late, letting Duke and Virginia Tech sweep Atlanta area prospects away from us, demonstrate our OL recruiting is a flat FAILURE, and it has become obvious Sewak and CPJ are too stubborn to address the issue. We've got some good OL, just not enough of them. And injuries and attrition will happen!
I'd like this a dozen times if that were possible. Our talent evaluation on prospective offensive linemen is so bad I'd almost think Thomas Demitroff was doing it. I've long been against the tactics some suggest here of taking 8-10 OL per year, but the practice of getting kids to our OL camp before recruiting them is self-defeating and has to change. Most of these kids have at least one full year of high school game film before you formally offer them. If a coach can't watch that and figure out whether or not that kid has the traits he needs to run this offense, then that coach needs to go...

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

We lost 5 last off-season and still thought we could be picky and ignorant of numbers.

If you haven't watched enough spread to see the ones that run, you aren't qualified to have this discussion. It's as prevalent as the pass heavy spread. I think you're seeing what you want because it helps your point. You're still wrong, though.
Dude i was being fasicious. I didn't realize I was talking to Nick Saban the coach of all coaches. Thank you for correcting me?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The everything coach does is the best we can do crowd has run off every one that is not them. Atl and a few of us have said we should do more passing early in the game. But we Got RUN OVER by the we run the ball folks. They said it was only the super elite athletic teams (lsu, iowa, clemson). Now when we say pass more even the virginias and dukes stop our run, they change from septic point to underfunding of gtaa. Kind of like when u are discussing a problem with household expenses and she changes subject to "you forgot to take the garbage out last week".

So it is an "us" vs "them" argument? There is no nuance? We opened the VT game with a pass play that should have been a touchdown, but since it was overthrown, it was a bad play call? We ran all over Tenn and passed well against them, but because of a fumble, bad late game D, a missed field goal, and a good 3O play that should have been pitched to win, it was all bad play calling?

I have been calling out GT fans for their pathetic monetary support of the GTAA for more than this week. I have been doing it for more than just this year, but since it is "us" vs "them", lets just pay attention to my posts from the last couple of days. I guess I don't really think that GT fans are pathetic, I am only trying to make excuses for CPJ. BTW, GT fans ARE pathetic and complain about the price of tickets, the price of concessions, the price of parking, the requests for donations, and then complain that the athletic department doesn't do more.

Spread options pass more. Most have issues inside the red zone because they can't spread the defense out as far. GT's offense runs more. In obvious passing situations they struggle passing. Most of the complaints about the GT offense that I have heard in person have been that the offense cannot produce big plays. Even if I point out in whatever year that GT is in the top 10 or top 5 offenses for big plays, the other person will ignore that and say they ran the same exact offense in high school and it cannot produce big plays. There is no point-counter point to the discussions. Teams can pass 100% and win. Teams can run 100% and win. You shouldn't strive for 50-50, you should take whatever the D will give you.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'd like this a dozen times if that were possible. Our talent evaluation on prospective offensive linemen is so bad I'd almost think Thomas Demitroff was doing it. I've long been against the tactics some suggest here of taking 8-10 OL per year, but the practice of getting kids to our OL camp before recruiting them is self-defeating and has to change. Most of these kids have at least one full year of high school game film before you formally offer them. If a coach can't watch that and figure out whether or not that kid has the traits he needs to run this offense, then that coach needs to go...

One big difference between GT and many programs is that with a GT offer, if the kid commits, then he is taken. At a place like Bama, they can offer as many kids as they want to because they then recant offers as soon as commitments start coming in. I also wouldn't want GT to offer kids early that won't fit because they looked good on a little film and then be locked into giving them a scholarship if the accept immediately.

I tell you what I see. I see a team of players playing for a guy that refuses to adapt to modern era football. I see a team lead by a man that thinks his way is the only way and is to stubborn to take advice from peers. I see a fan base divided between people who think they know football but really don't. I see a poster named Travis that is so eager to prove someine wrong because he dominates at tecmo bowl and thinks he God's gift to this board for football insight. Your opinion is like everyone's a hole, they have one, but it doesn't make you right. In fact sir you are the one that is wrong.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I tell you what I see. I see a team of players playing for a guy that refuses to adapt to modern era football. I see a team lead by a man that thinks his way is the only way and is to stubborn to take advice from peers. I see a fan base divided between people who think they know football but really don't. I see a poster named Travis that is so eager to prove someine wrong because he dominates at tecmo bowl and thinks he God's gift to this board for football insight. Your opinion is like everyone's a hole, they have one, but it doesn't make you right. In fact sir you are the one that is wrong.
I think every coach probably thinks their way is the best way. Being a head football coach is a little like being a politician, in that I'm not sure you can be a functioning human being and be good at it. That doesn't make CPJ any different than any other coach. What will determine if he IS different than any other coach is his ability to put this behind him and make the changes necessary on his staff to be competitive. I'm sorry I hurt your feewings. But the idea that you HAVE to be balanced on offense to succeed at the college level is so asinine that I question your football knowledge. And I only played and coached for over a decade, so maybe I don't have as much knowledge as a guy who hasn't seen any spread run teams.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
...if it’s even true that he’s gone.

I’d love to see him be made recruiting coordinator with an expanded staff under him.

If it’s Roof we’re still talking about, I’d be interested in hearing the rationale for calling him a great recruiter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think every coach probably thinks their way is the best way. Being a head football coach is a little like being a politician, in that I'm not sure you can be a functioning human being and be good at it. That doesn't make CPJ any different than any other coach. What will determine if he IS different than any other coach is his ability to put this behind him and make the changes necessary on his staff to be competitive. I'm sorry I hurt your feewings. But the idea that you HAVE to be balanced on offense to succeed at the college level is so asinine that I question your football knowledge. And I only played and coached for over a decade, so maybe I don't have as much knowledge as a guy who hasn't seen any spread run teams.
No one likes politicians.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Groh was Johnson's scapegoat after 2012.

I guess Roof will be his scapegoat now.

Johnson's FBS record with Groh:18-18.
Johnson's FBS record with Roof:29-28

So, who is the problem?

And if Roof is fired, what coach would take the job as Johnson's next scapegoat, I mean, DC?

75southjacket

Banned

So, who is the problem?

And if Roof is fired, what coach would take the job as Johnson's next scapegoat, I mean, DC?
I don't think it matters at this point. Johnson knows his time is limited here at Tech. Ten seasons is enough of playing option football. Scrap this mess and let go after after someone with energy. We need someone that can excite the program and fanbase. Johnson has peaked at tech. The guy is 60 years of age, it's time for him to be a grandparent with all the money he has earned cough cough at tech.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I put all the blame on him. I'm ready for GT to veer away from the option and get back to real football. Ten years of this gimmick crap is enough.

I’d put a whole lot more stock in your opinion if you didn’t talk BS about “real football” and “gimmick crap”. Option football is real football, it’s just a different way of attacking a defense. The HUNH spread that’s currently en vogue was thought of as “gimmick crap” just a few years ago. Would you feel more comfortable with us running the same gimmick as everyone else?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

So, who is the problem?

The issue is the D who is consistently not even in the top 50. The offense is consistently in the top 25. Once again, as it's been said many times, it's hard to complain about CPJ when he has been one of the top 4 coaches at GT. It's also hard to complain when he's been given hardly any resources, like not being able to hire the DC he wanted.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it matters at this point. Johnson knows his time is limited here at Tech. Ten seasons is enough of playing option football. Scrap this mess and let go after after someone with energy. We need someone that can excite the program and fanbase. Johnson has peaked at tech. The guy is 60 years of age, it's time for him to be a grandparent with all the money he has earned cough cough at tech.
I would agree he has peaked, however he has never had much of resources and still has put up some really good seasons. Idk about you but if he was able to do what he's done with the resources he had, wouldn't logic say he could do more with way more resources (like he's about to get, from what we are hearing) and an AD backing him?

I’d put a whole lot more stock in your opinion if you didn’t talk BS about “real football” and “gimmick crap”. Option football is real football, it’s just a different way of attacking a defense. The HUNH spread that’s currently en vogue was thought of as “gimmick crap” just a few years ago. Would you feel more comfortable with us running the same gimmick as everyone else?
The issue is the D who is consistently not even in the top 50. The offense is consistently in the top 25. Once again, as it's been said many times, it's hard to complain about CPJ when he has been one of the top 4 coaches at GT. It's also hard to complain when he's been given hardly any resources, like not being able to hire the DC he wanted.
He didn't want to hire Groghb or Womack? If that is true then the admin should fire Paul today. They obviously don't trust him to make good hires. Either way not good for Paul Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.