Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just isn't true. Lots of potent offenses skew heavily to one side of run/pass. Oregon used to beat the daylights out of people spreading it out and running. West Virginia. Mike Leach offenses have never run the ball much, and he's scorched his fair share of earth. Tech's execution simply wasn't up to standard this year. The disturbing thing to me is that we appeared to regress as the year went on...
Most spread offenses use short quick passers for a running game. We don't, we can't. So yes what you are saying is true. We don't fall into that category. It isn't a matter of why we aren't more balanced on offense it is matter of why we aren't. The answer is Paul can't change or is so arrogant that be thinks smartest man in the room when he's not.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
They were ranked third by the playoff selection committee. They were second in the AP and coaches’ poll.
Congrats to them for being ranked second in two polls that mean absolutely nothing. They would have gone to the Orange Bowl in 2013 under the same scenario.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Back on topic, I have no clue who we should get, but I hope they come with an extremely aggressive style.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...if it’s even true that he’s gone.

I’d love to see him be made recruiting coordinator with an expanded staff under him.

Jmonty71

Banned
Do you think any D coordinator wants this job? I don’t think our D is gonna improve significantly regardless who the D coordinator is going to be. You can’t recruit bc of academic restrictions and the offense that we run. I think the offensive personnel can’t improve your D in defending pro/spread type offense bc we don’t have the players to replicate these types of offense (just like these types of O has problems defending option O).

With that said, I think the offense has to carry this team. I think CPJ has to look at the offense.. Any thoughts about adding an O coordinator? How about a new O line coach? Our o line should not be this bad year to year..
You trying to say that ALL good defensive players, are just bumbling idiots? None are smart enough to get into GT? Maybe it came down to putting the wrong pieces on the field. Sorry.... I feel that Swilling is better than Mitchell. Could be personnel issues on the field. Either way, I imagine that no position is safe, going into next year. Maybe they will field a team that can play like a team.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Most spread offenses use short quick passers for a running game. We don't, we can't. So yes what you are saying is true. We don't fall into that category. It isn't a matter of why we aren't more balanced on offense it is matter of why we aren't. The answer is Paul can't change or is so arrogant that be thinks smartest man in the room when he's not.

That's not true. Every spread is different. They're are many run oriented spread teams.
Some spread teams are not to far off the one GT runs. It's just done from either the pistol or gun.

That's not true. Every spread is different. They're are many run oriented spread teams.
Some spread teams are not to far off the one GT runs. It's just done from either the pistol or gun.
Running from the shotgun would be awesome, but ain't happening on the flats. No one accept the academys runs more per game than we do. We are the antithesis of a balanced attack. We can't run, we can't win. That is inexcuseable in 2017 football.

I didn't say every spread. I said most. It is possible I haven't watched all spread offenses. The ones I have watched use short passers to compensate for a poor rushing attack or when the defense gears up for the run in running situations. Is that better Atl?

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing we've missed this year is the quick out to the receiver when then corners line up 7 yards back. When ran it once, but TQM didn't have the arm strength to get the ball out in a reasonable amount of time and by the time the receiver caught the ball the defender was on him. We have a lot of quick passes in the offense I just don't think TQM had the arm strength to get the ball in the small windows that 8 in the box causes.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Roof has got to go. Good man and tried his best but he has to go. What would you do if you were CPJ? Changes have to be made and other changes may be done but this one is a no brainer. The defense has had the advantage of GT limiting possessions for the other team but for the most part is still very ineffective. Yesterday we controlled the clock for almost 20 minutes in the first half.

Not convinced Roof has been playing the best players. That defensive backfield was small and slow - a bad combination. His nickel concept with a small nickel and yet weak defensive line made no sense. His blitz packages were very predictable. His players often are not lined up right and don't get in the right gap. Did he have a problem of lack of talent? You bet but you have to play with what you've got and the concept he had on the field did not consistently stop the run. Make the other team pass at all costs - always. Get beat deep - so be it.

If Roof wants to stay on in another role - maybe but that is probably a tough sell to CPJ, Roof and the players. Does Roof deserve all the blame for this year. Of course not - the lack of QB being able to pass, the weak outside blocking and inability to make yards on the dive were also weak late in the year. But I for one long time fan believe that CPJ because of his contract and coaching ability deserves more time and should try his triple option game with another defensive coordinator. Who you can get given CPJ age is the rub but it doesn't matter. Try a young energetic coach who will aggressively try to stop the run and also will play the young players even if they need to develop. Swilling did not look good early but by the end of the year was one of our better defensive players. He should have gotten more minutes this year particularly in front of #9 or as a third linebacker away from the nickel. I also think we should have done some things in the defensive backfield.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Dis like this 100x . What a crap passing attack we have. 100% blame in on cpj.
U are new to gt swarm
The everything coach does is the best we can do crowd has run off every one that is not them. Atl and a few of us have said we should do more passing early in the game. But we Got RUN OVER by the we run the ball folks. They said it was only the super elite athletic teams (lsu, iowa, clemson). Now when we say pass more even the virginias and dukes stop our run, they change from septic point to underfunding of gtaa. Kind of like when u are discussing a problem with household expenses and she changes subject to "you forgot to take the garbage out last week".

Hope u can bring some specific questions and don't fall into the camp of coach sucks which is equally boring.

I am concerned that in 18 we could repeat 15 and loose every acc game in coastal. That would be bad but it could tell us if the run only t o will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.