Roddy Jones Says It All

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Roddy probably bit his tongue A LOT during the beginning of CGC's tenure. Remember, Roddy played for CPJ, and his media career began at GT while CPJ was still here. All the bravado and the way CGC talked down on the program (biggest rebuild!) probably hasn't sat well with Roddy for a long time...and for Geoff to completely fumble his opportunity here while trying to burn down what the previous coach did. Roddy seems like a very smart and astute guy with a promising career in the media. He probably knows what's going to happen with Geoff, and he has ZERO problems speaking his mind now.
A lot of us bit our tongues. But Roddy is right on the money. This is the low point of GT football in the last 50 years.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Sad Am Fine GIF by MOODMAN

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Roddy probably bit his tongue A LOT during the beginning of CGC's tenure. Remember, Roddy played for CPJ, and his media career began at GT while CPJ was still here. All the bravado and the way CGC talked down on the program (biggest rebuild!) probably hasn't sat well with Roddy for a long time...and for Geoff to completely fumble his opportunity here while trying to burn down what the previous coach did. Roddy seems like a very smart and astute guy with a promising career in the media. He probably knows what's going to happen with Geoff, and he has ZERO problems speaking his mind now.
We all wanted this guy to succeed despite his juvenile bashing of the previous regime. We needed his plan to work because that was the plan he had. Problem was when it was evident it wasn't working- poor recruiting, bad game management, lack of team disciplines, plummeting ticket sales to name a few- many things didn't happen. We see it in life today. We stand idly by while everything goes down the crapper. Accountable leadership makes excuses because they lack either the awareness or moral courage to make the hard call & often both, parties involved make wildly inaccurate proclamations that nobody (fans, media, etc) that nobody questions, right & wrong and true and false get reversed, more fake or impossible promises are made & the cycle repeats itself to the point where we end up where we're at. It was all a house of cards. We all just realized it at different points in the cycle. Now it has to be broken, we need to man up to our mistakes and accountability needs its rightful place & we need to band together to right the wrong.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Interested if Roddy talked about what changed from when he was hired. In this article he talks about his experiences with Collins https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/temple-geoff-collins-ahead-the-curve/9nuOEAVWnWdCocSY0qUkVN/

I'd also love to hear Roddy talk about his absolute glowing and 100% full endorsement for CGC in that article and what he said in the podcast. I mean, did something change? Or did he get bamboozled by the sales pitch and forget to look at the car's Autofax?

If he were just a fan I wouldn't expect any explanation...I for one was skeptical but willing to go all-in once the decision was made to move on (see, I even made CGC my avatar...not a good look now!) But as a sports media professional I think he needs to reconcile the changes in his strongly held position a bit.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'd also love to hear Roddy talk about his absolute glowing and 100% full endorsement for CGC in that article and what he said in the podcast. I mean, did something change? Or did he get bamboozled by the sales pitch and forget to look at the car's Autofax?

If he were just a fan I wouldn't expect any explanation...I for one was skeptical but willing to go all-in once the decision was made to move on (see, I even made CGC my avatar...not a good look now!) But as a sports media professional I think he needs to reconcile the changes in his strongly held position a bit.
Oh...and for the record (and to reply to my own thread). I totally agree with what he said on the podcast! Just the truth.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I love Roddy and agree with everything he said on the pod. Though I might argue that the team has already quit, based on what I saw on Saturday. Hard to know.

One thing that I wonder about:

To what extent did they support those ADs (i.e., decision-makers) who got us to this point? I've never heard even an anecdote on their roles, responsibilities nor participation beyond the press releases (nor any of the other search committee members for that matter).

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I love Roddy and agree with everything he said on the pod. Though I might argue that the team has already quit, based on what I saw on Saturday. Hard to know.

One thing that I wonder about:

To what extent did they support those ADs (i.e., decision-makers) who got us to this point? I've never heard even an anecdote on their roles, responsibilities nor participation beyond the press releases (nor any of the other search committee members for that matter).

In all honesty, I wonder how much influence one person on the committee would have or if a search firm is just bringing them a final 3 or 5 or something. I don't know the answer, but would interesting to see how the process actually works.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
In all honesty, I wonder how much influence one person on the committee would have or if a search firm is just bringing them a final 3 or 5 or something. I don't know the answer, but would interesting to see how the process actually works.
I agree. I believe these 'committees' are a rubber stamp for the leadership. TStan got 'his guy'. But because there was a search committee, he has an out when 'his guy' turned out to be a bad hire.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I believe these 'committees' are a rubber stamp for the leadership. TStan got 'his guy'. But because there was a search committee, he has an out when 'his guy' turned out to be a bad hire.

Yep. Can't imagine Roddy and Tex were going through resumes and calling references....

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. Also could have been a dissenter but was outvoted. Who knows.

Rubber stamp was in my mind as well, but then I came back to, what is the point of joining a committee simply to be a figurehead and not to make your voice heard? I have to believe it was his/their right to say 'yay' or 'nay'. Would be fascinating to have heard those conversations and votes.

Either way, it's a reminder of who has influence on the decision, should we be in the position of looking for a new AD soon.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Also could have been a dissenter but was outvoted. Who knows.

Rubber stamp was in my mind as well, but then I came back to, what is the point of joining a committee simply to be a figurehead and not to make your voice heard? I have to believe it was his/their right to say 'yay' or 'nay'. Would be fascinating to have heard those conversations and votes.

Either way, it's a reminder of who has influence on the decision, should we be in the position of looking for a new AD soon.

Well Bobinski was hired supposedly for basketball needs. At the time he didn't seem like a bad hire. Turned out he was a snake oil salesman.