Roddy Jones Says It All

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
What changed since Roddy’s full endorsement four years ago? Well we’ve gone 10-27 since then, for one. I don’t think he was necessarily biting his tongue or lying about his true feelings back then. I think Collins simply proved he wasn’t the man for the job through his job’s performance and Roddy cares more about the program than proving himself right from when he was hired.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
It would have been a bad look for Roddy when we hired a new coach and were trying to do a complete rebrand the program kind of needed to come out and say "not sure I really believe any of this BS." I'm mid 30's and thought I smelled Sh*t when Collins was talking but he was pulling in recruits and TBH I get the same nonsense-eyeroll feeling when I hear Smart/Dabo talk about their programs. I figured the message to get me on board is winning so if this is how they do it what do i care. Now I realize what i was smelling was in fact sh*t and we all stepped in it. Who could have predicted the program would have been this bad?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
What changed since Roddy’s full endorsement four years ago? Well we’ve gone 10-27 since then, for one. I don’t think he was necessarily biting his tongue or lying about his true feelings back then. I think Collins simply proved he wasn’t the man for the job through his job’s performance and Roddy cares more about the program than proving himself right from when he was hired.
Yeah, I wasn't calling Roddy out as much as curious why he thinks that the CGC he knew from previous experience didn't turn into the one we all wanted. He knew him better than almost anyone who has spoken out, so it's pretty fascinating to me.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd also love to hear Roddy talk about his absolute glowing and 100% full endorsement for CGC in that article and what he said in the podcast. I mean, did something change? Or did he get bamboozled by the sales pitch and forget to look at the car's Autofax?

If he were just a fan I wouldn't expect any explanation...I for one was skeptical but willing to go all-in once the decision was made to move on (see, I even made CGC my avatar...not a good look now!) But as a sports media professional I think he needs to reconcile the changes in his strongly held position a bit.
What should he have said? Roddy what do you think of the new coach? Well...I think he is a worse version of Butch Jones, made Temple worse not better, concerned more with playing summer camp games practicing football, made defenses either worse or the same as a DC. I also believe the Temple fans were glad to see him go along with Patenaude as the players won in spite of them not because them. Lastly, the coach that turned around Temple is now coaching at Baylor and Money Down will turn more people off than get them fired up. Of course he wasn't going to say that. That info WAS readily available and took 10 minutes of research to do in 2018. I knew all of these things. Maye you did too. Of course gave him a chance too, but pointed all of these things out at the tome of the hire. YES, RJ was bamboozled just like 80% of the people here. RJ doesn't need to reconcile anything. I thought it was a bad hire. I and was called a "boomer" (I was 40 at the time), told that juice crews/social media/branding was what successful coaches do to build a program and told that running the same offense as 80% of other teams (an NFL style offense) would be successful as we would be getting top recruits now. It sounds like you may have been like me, but HE bought what the Music Man/Monorail Guy/Carnival Barker was selling. 80% of the fans did. Boosters did. AD did. Roddy likely figured out after season 2, that this was never turning around and now he is free to comment. And to answer your question, of course something changed.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why does people keep comparing him to Butch Jones? Butch always seemed very fiery, spit flying in your face as he yells at you. Probably what our team needs a little more than a car salesman.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
What should he have said? Roddy what do you think of the new coach? Well...I think he is a worse version of Butch Jones, made Temple worse not better, concerned more with playing summer camp games practicing football, made defenses either worse or the same as a DC. I also believe the Temple fans were glad to see him go along with Patenaude as the players won in spite of them not because them. Lastly, the coach that turned around Temple is now coaching at Baylor and Money Down will turn more people off than get them fired up. Of course he wasn't going to say that. That info WAS readily available and took 10 minutes of research to do in 2018. I knew all of these things. Maye you did too. Of course gave him a chance too, but pointed all of these things out at the tome of the hire. YES, RJ was bamboozled just like 80% of the people here. RJ doesn't need to reconcile anything. I thought it was a bad hire. I and was called a "boomer" (I was 40 at the time), told that juice crews/social media/branding was what successful coaches do to build a program and told that running the same offense as 80% of other teams (an NFL style offense) would be successful as we would be getting top recruits now. It sounds like you may have been like me, but HE bought what the Music Man/Monorail Guy/Carnival Barker was selling. 80% of the fans did. Boosters did. AD did. Roddy likely figured out after season 2, that this was never turning around and now he is free to comment. And to answer your question, of course something changed.
Roddy? ;)

Okay, if you want to read that article and not see it as a glowing endorsement then let's just drop it. As I said I agreed with everything he said in the podcast. It was just idle speculation that I'll just share with my friends as we enjoy the view over the water and ponder life's great mysteries.

JacketFan137

Banned
Why does people keep comparing him to Butch Jones? Butch always seemed very fiery, spit flying in your face as he yells at you. Probably what our team needs a little more than a car salesman.
butch jones had a lot of media gaffs and some culture setting things that really fell flat. tennessee fans would probably call him a car salesman just like people here call collins that.

he would be an upgrade but there would be a lot of similar complaints. either way it would be a really bad hire for stansbury and probably really toxic for the program. we’d be better off getting an up and coming guy

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Butch said cringy things so people dunk on him a lot for it and for going winless in the SEC his last year. Still got UT to back-to-back 9 win seasons and the only coach to do it since Fulmer in 07 so it goes to show you how much perception matters and highlights a good reason to move on from our guy because the perception out there is he is a failure and a terrible coach even if personally you don't agree. That's just how our program is viewed from the outside.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
We all wanted this guy to succeed despite his juvenile bashing of the previous regime. We needed his plan to work because that was the plan he had. Problem was when it was evident it wasn't working- poor recruiting, bad game management, lack of team disciplines, plummeting ticket sales to name a few- many things didn't happen. We see it in life today. We stand idly by while everything goes down the crapper. Accountable leadership makes excuses because they lack either the awareness or moral courage to make the hard call & often both, parties involved make wildly inaccurate proclamations that nobody (fans, media, etc) that nobody questions, right & wrong and true and false get reversed, more fake or impossible promises are made & the cycle repeats itself to the point where we end up where we're at. It was all a house of cards. We all just realized it at different points in the cycle. Now it has to be broken, we need to man up to our mistakes and accountability needs its rightful place & we need to band together to right the wrong.
Like it or not…a BIG part of this problem we are in now is the “At least it’s not the option crowd” making excuses for the worst coach in GT history.

JacketFan137

Banned
Like it or not…a BIG part of this problem we are in now is the “At least it’s not the option crowd” making excuses for the worst coach in GT history.
nah. blaming any fans for that is ****ty and divisive. unless one of said fans was directly contributing to the gtaa under the premise of “at least it’s not the option” no fan here is responsible for this situation. that’s on stansbury, the gtaa and any of the boosters.

comments like yours do nothing split the aisle of the fanbase even further

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
nah. blaming any fans for that is ****ty and divisive. unless one of said fans was directly contributing to the gtaa under the premise of “at least it’s not the option” no fan here is responsible for this situation. that’s on stansbury, the gtaa and any of the boosters.

comments like yours do nothing split the aisle of the fanbase even further
Got it…but it wasn’t, as you say, ****Ty to dump on Johnson and gloat after he left. The biggest rebuild in history. Did you come out strong on that division?

JacketFan137

Banned
Got it…but it wasn’t, as you say, ****Ty to dump on Johnson and gloat after he left. The biggest rebuild in history. Did you come out strong on that division?
nope and you didn’t either because we are fans of the same team. as much as you want to not be, we are all here together and just as responsible as each other!

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
Roddy? ;)

Okay, if you want to read that article and not see it as a glowing endorsement then let's just drop it. As I said I agreed with everything he said in the podcast. It was just idle speculation that I'll just share with my friends as we enjoy the view over the water and ponder life's great mysteries.
Yes it was a glowing endorsement. I was attempting to give a negative response, in a fictitious world where Roddy in 2018 hated the hire and said as much. Then said of course it was an endorsement and he should not have to "explain himself" after the 180 on the podcast. My only point was that he does not need to "reconcile" with comments made 4 years ago because unlike you and I (the 20% of people that did not like the hire), he was saying what he thought and now he thinks different. By the way, youtube Roddy Jones Waffle House Wednesday and it's more of the same. Pretty cringy stuff. haha
Roddy? ;)

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
anyone read Jeff Schultz's article on the athletic about Collins? think it came out yesterday. obviously behind a pay wall but supposedly had a few quotes from former players in it. I havent read it. just saw his tweets about the article.
He got quotes from Will Jackson, Laskey, Freddie Burden, and Trey Braun. Unsurprisingly, none of them were very positive about Collins

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan
Here is one of the first videos of Roddy Jones with Geoff Collins. I just thought it was interesting to look back on what seemed to be so much promise.