Ricky Jeune's NFL Prospects

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I just looked him up on Georgia Tech:
2012: Red-Shirted
2013: 11 starts
2014: 8 starts (as you say, Smelter and Waller became WRs 1 and 2)
2015: 7 starts (Brad Stewart became a starter as a true freshman as the year went on), then left team.
2016: Not on team.

Compare that time frame to:
Ricky Jeune
2013: Redshirted
2014: Did not start
2015: Started all 12 games
2016: Started all 13 games
2017: Started all 11 games

Brad Stewart
2015: Started last 5 games

I would argue Summers wasn't a multi-year starter. He was a starter in 2013, but then got beat out in 2014 and rode the bench. He had 45 yards receiving total in 2014. In 2015, he started off well again (we had just lost both Smelter and Waller to the NFL), but then got beat out again, this time by Ricky Jeune and Brad Stewart. Then he quit.
IIRC, Summers would have started less in 2014 had Waller not started the year under suspension.

At risk of stating the obvious, Ricky's pro day will be huge; his 40 and vertical need to be very good as an outside WR in the NFL. I don't know that he's shifty enough to be a slot receiver. Wishing him success.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I'm assuming your Gabriel take is $$$ related. You don't let a guy like him go for a Ricky when you have 2 bigs already. Gabriel needs Shanahan back is all.

Yeah it is. It is also because our slot sets are different than the shanahan uses. A large slot would give us better blocking for run support to best utilize Coleman and Freeman's pass catching

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
WR U!

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for Ricky, but apart from Bebe our guys haven't had much success in the NFL. Hope he reverses that trend started by Stephen Hill.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
WR U!

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for Ricky, but apart from Bebe our guys haven't had much success in the NFL. Hope he reverses that trend started by Stephen Hill.
I'd say Kevin Cone was very successful just by getting to the league and lasting 3-4 years. Hell I never even heard of him before he started getting actual playing time with the falcons.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I'd say Kevin Cone was very successful just by getting to the league and lasting 3-4 years. Hell I never even heard of him before he started getting actual playing time with the falcons.
I could be wrong, but I thought it was 4 years in the NFL. 3 with the falcons and then 1 year with Miami. He also got a Mechanical Engineering degree from Tech. Very impressive man.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
From Ken's story, I think the most likely draft picks, other than Shamire (imagine him not having to cut and scoop so much in the pros. He could really do some damage as a guard) and Jeune are Corey Griffin and Step Durham.
I think Jeune's size and strength and his strong hands will help him a lot in evaluation.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I just looked him up on Georgia Tech:
2012: Red-Shirted
2013: 11 starts
2014: 8 starts (as you say, Smelter and Waller became WRs 1 and 2)
2015: 7 starts (Brad Stewart became a starter as a true freshman as the year went on), then left team.
2016: Not on team.

Compare that time frame to:
Ricky Jeune
2013: Redshirted
2014: Did not start
2015: Started all 12 games

Brad Stewart
2015: Started last 5 games

I would argue Summers wasn't a multi-year starter. He was a starter in 2013, but then got beat out in 2014 and rode the bench. He had 45 yards receiving total in 2014. In 2015, he started off well again (we had just lost both Smelter and Waller to the NFL), but then got beat out again, this time by Ricky Jeune and Brad Stewart. Then he quit.

Michael Summers - Started 26 times in a 3 year period..(Father played football at South Carolina State (1984-88) and in the NFL for the Colts (1988-89).:

Georgia Southern 2016-17:
Did not dress for any games … Suffered a knee injury in preseason that required surgery … Was set back again by a calf injury early in the season... Named to 2016-17 Sun Belt Conference Academic Honor Roll.

Georgia Tech 2015-16: Played in seven games at Georgia Tech, making seven starts … Caught 12 passes for 178 yards and two touchdowns … Caught a 19-yard touchdown pass, the first score of college career … Had a team-high three catches for 45 yards and 30-yard touchdown vs. Tulane … Recorded a 10-yard reception at Notre Dame … Caught a career-high four passes for 58 yards at Virginia … Left the Georgia Tech team in November 2015 … Graduated in May 2016 and transferred to Georgia Southern, where he was immediately eligible to play.

Georgia Tech 2014-15: Played in all 14 games at Georgia Tech, making eight starts … Had seven receptions for 45 yards … Caught two passes for 11 yards in Tech’s win over Mississippi State in the Orange Bowl … Had two receptions for 15 yards against Wofford in the season opener.

Georgia Tech 2013-14: Played in all 13 games at Georgia Tech and started 11 times … Had 10 receptions for 211 yards, helping Georgia Tech lead the nation in yards per pass completion … Had three receptions for 79 yards in season opener vs. Elon … Hauled in a 49-yard reception at BYU … Had three receptions for 24 yards and an 11-yard rushing attempt at Clemson.

Georgia Tech 2012-13: Redshirted at Georgia Tech.

MAJOR: Business Administration (graduated; GT); Higher Education (Master's; GS)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, Summers would have started less in 2014 had Waller not started the year under suspension.

At risk of stating the obvious, Ricky's pro day will be huge; his 40 and vertical need to be very good as an outside WR in the NFL. I don't know that he's shifty enough to be a slot receiver. Wishing him success.

Yeah i don’t see Ricky as a slot receiver, i DO think he has what it takes to be a nfl receiver, he’s tough and big plus he run blocks like a beast.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I think RJ will be a late draft pick, too. I could see him with the Packers. They need a bigger, blocking WR , IMO.
Shamire kind of reminds me of TJ Barnes - huge guy, lots of potential. Someone may take a chance on him because of intelligence, size , drive blocking.
One of my favorite SAs, believe he can do it if given the right situation.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Yeah i don’t see Ricky as a slot receiver, i DO think he has what it takes to be a nfl receiver, he’s tough and big plus he run blocks like a beast.

There are two types of slot receivers. Ther eis the small shifty guy, and there is the big guy who can take the shots over the middle. The later role has been filled by flexing out tight ends or flippign your wr1 and 2 in a set into the slot. Ricky could play both provide a blocking reciever in the slot or catch passes over the middle. especially for a team with limited te options.