Ricky Jeune's NFL Prospects

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think that's fair on Ricky. Honestly i'd like Atlanta to look at him that late. Let gabriel walk, pick up ricky in the draft. a 6'3 212 slot reciever that can block like a tight end would help us a lot.

Deleted member 2897

As a reminder, we've had 7 receivers under Paul Johnson who were multiple year starters. We have put 7 receivers into the league. 6 of those 7 went, and then 1 guy who wasn't (Kevin Cone). But essentially batting 100% is an incredible track record.

Ricky Jeune is the 8th multi-year starter at WR. Looks like the streak will continue.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
As a reminder, we've had 7 receivers under Paul Johnson who were multiple year starters. We have put 7 receivers into the league. 6 of those 7 went, and then 1 guy who wasn't (Kevin Cone). But essentially batting 100% is an incredible track record.

Ricky Jeune is the 8th multi-year starter at WR. Looks like the streak will continue.

Starters at wr1*

If you are the primary receiver its likely you go. Secondary not as much, melton, summers, dennis, etc

Deleted member 2897

Starters at wr1*

If you are the primary receiver its likely you go. Secondary not as much, melton, summers, dennis, etc

I don't believe any of those other guys were multi-year starters. But Darren Waller (WR2) was, for example.

Deleted member 2897

Summers was, waller was actually the WR1 in 2013 smelter just took over.

I just looked him up on Georgia Tech:
2012: Red-Shirted
2013: 11 starts
2014: 8 starts (as you say, Smelter and Waller became WRs 1 and 2)
2015: 7 starts (Brad Stewart became a starter as a true freshman as the year went on), then left team.
2016: Not on team.

Compare that time frame to:
Ricky Jeune
2013: Redshirted
2014: Did not start
2015: Started all 12 games
2016: Started all 13 games
2017: Started all 11 games

Brad Stewart
2015: Started last 5 games
2016: Started all 13 games
2017: Started all 11 games

I would argue Summers wasn't a multi-year starter. He was a starter in 2013, but then got beat out in 2014 and rode the bench. He had 45 yards receiving total in 2014. In 2015, he started off well again (we had just lost both Smelter and Waller to the NFL), but then got beat out again, this time by Ricky Jeune and Brad Stewart. Then he quit.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
@jgtengineer Arguing over these nit-picky semantics misses the overwhelming point here: Georgia Tech WRs get drafted to the NFL consistently, despite seeing only 20-30 catches a year. That's right, option-haters, the position most negatively-affected by this obsolete offense that supposedly "doesn't prepare kids for the pros" has been drafted going-on 8 times in 10 years under CPJ.

Deleted member 2897

@jgtengineer Arguing over these nit-picky semantics misses the overwhelming point here: Georgia Tech WRs get drafted to the NFL consistently, despite seeing only 20-30 catches a year. That's right, option-haters, the position most negatively-affected by this obsolete offense that supposedly "doesn't prepare kids for the pros" has been drafted going-on 8 times in 10 years under CPJ.

The reason why the data matters, is we have had several guys who started multiple years - think of who has seen the field the last 10 years at the WR position? Nearly everybody who spent time at that position made the NFL. Its not just that its 8 times in 10 years - those 8 people are just about everybody who played meaningful time there. If you're good enough to start at Georgia Tech at WR, you have nearly a 100% chance based on past history of going to the NFL.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck

What are those NFL-drafted names again? I thought it was 5 going on 6.
D.Thomas, S.Hill, K.Cone, D.Smelter, D.Waller, and hopefully R.Jeune.

Deleted member 2897

What are those NFL-drafted names again? I thought it was 5 going on 6.
D.Thomas, S.Hill, K.Cone, D.Smelter, D.Waller, and hopefully R.Jeune.

Hmmm, I've been saying 'the last decade' for awhile. So my guess is that I started saying that a year ago and so went back 10 years from then which included Calvin Johnson.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

So guys DO come to GT to get to the nfl? No wait, they Don’t? Very confusing to say the least.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone else think Shamire will turn out to be a stud in the nfl? I don't believe our O was a great fit for him, and I'm not sure that he really loves the game. But when the chance to make millions happens that attitude may change. I think he's intelligent and athletic enough to make the adjustment to a pass blocking scheme. and be a dominate run blocker based on what he learned at gt.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else think Shamire will turn out to be a stud in the nfl? I don't believe our O was a great fit for him, and I'm not sure that he really loves the game. But when the chance to make millions happens that attitude may change. I think he's intelligent and athletic enough to make the adjustment to a pass blocking scheme. and be a dominate run blocker based on what he learned at gt.

Shamire will make a pretty damn good RT in the nfl, wihtout the Computer Science course load and with nfl nutritionist he will turn into a beast.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Shamire will make a pretty damn good RT in the nfl, wihtout the Computer Science course load and with nfl nutritionist he will turn into a beast.
I couldn't agree more. Shamire will start in the league pretty soon, imho. And he'll be Tech's highest drafted player this year.

Why, I hear some ask? I've said it before: he's enormous and he has quick feet. You just don't find that combo too often.

Milwaukee

Banned
I think that's fair on Ricky. Honestly i'd like Atlanta to look at him that late. Let gabriel walk, pick up ricky in the draft. a 6'3 212 slot reciever that can block like a tight end would help us a lot.

I'm assuming your Gabriel take is $$$ related. You don't let a guy like him go for a Ricky when you have 2 bigs already. Gabriel needs Shanahan back is all.