Richt's gone

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I see the other points of view, but I don't see how you can say with a straight face what he's done is "mediocre." Really? Averaging 10 wins a year is mediocre? Mediocre means moderate; not very good. Winning 10 games a year in the SEC is not that. Doing the things he did is not that. In fact, Richt has the highest uga win percentage of all time. How is that in any way shape or form mediocre? He's put together the best 15 year stretch in the history of their program.

I certainly understand the thought that with the NFL talent he has, he should win championships. I get that. But you are talking about a program that hasn't won one in 35 years. Seems foolish to me to fire someone for not doing something you've only done twice in the 130 year history of your program.

Wasn't a big part of the dwag dissatisfaction due to Richt's W-L record specifically against ranked opponents? From what I can see on cfbstats.com, uGA has gone 11-23 versus ranked teams, since 2008. That's a pretty mediocre record agains the "big boys".

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
How you figure? Georgia Southern did pretty well against Alabama in 2011.

You're talking about one year and one game (this happens to Tech)...should I mention MTSU a few years ago?? And we actually LOST that game.

Kirby Smart is one hell of a coach, look at his history...its proven.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't a big part of the dwag dissatisfaction due to Richt's W-L record specifically against ranked opponents? From what I can see on cfbstats.com, uGA has gone 11-23 versus ranked teams, since 2008. That's a pretty mediocre record agains the "big boys".

You are putting a big damper on the fun folks are having with them turning loose a "successful" coach ;):rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

That's definitely a big part of it too.

But there aren't a lot of teams that do great against other ranked opponents. That's especially true when a significant percentage of the games they've played have been against very solid south carolina, florida, alabama, auburn and lsu teams. I may be a couple off, but in sum (see below for more detail):

3 losses to ranked Bama (2008, 2012, 2015) - each of those teams has been pretty strong.
3 losses to ranked Florida (2008, 2009, 2015)
2 losses to ranked Auburn (2010, 2013)
2 losses to ranked GEORGIA TECH (2008, 2014)
2 losses to ranked LSU (2009, 2011)
4 losses to ranked USCe (2010-2012, 2014)
1 loss to ranked Arkansas (2010)
5 losses to random ranked teams (Ok St, UCF, Boise, Mich State, Clemson)

I'm not sure it fully captures the final ranking or the ranking at the time they played, but in terms of ranked at the time, 2008 uga lost to bama (top 10) and florida (top 10), as well as us. 2009 they lost @ oklahoma state to start the year (top 10), LSU (top 10), Florida (#1 at the time). 2010 they lost to USCe, Arkansas, Auburn, and (haha) UCF. 2011 lost to boise (top 10), USCe, LSU (#1 at the time) and Michigan State. 2012 they lost to USCe (top 10), Bama (top 10). 2013 they lost to Clemson (top 10) and Auburn (top 10). 2014 they lost to USCe and us. 2015 they lost to bama and florida.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly think Kirby Smart is one of the bigger mysteries in college football of how good of a coach he actually is and how much of it is Saban. He's been under Saban for almost his entire coaching career.. Saban who is a defensive minded coach. I don't think he'll be a bad coach because other guys in Sabans tree have turned out well, but I don't think anyone knows if he's a hell of a coach or not.

For all we know, Kirby Smart to UGA turns out like Weis to Notre Dame. Weis was supposed to be such a great coach and all that after being the OC for the patriots for 3 super bowls...

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You're talking about one year and one game (this happens to Tech)...should I mention MTSU a few years ago?? And we actually LOST that game.

Kirby Smart is one hell of a coach, look at his history...its proven.

Proven where? Under Saban? He can't even talk to the media. I think Kirby to UGA would be the best hire for us.

I'm much more worried about the guy with actual head coach experience.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
upload_2015-12-1_20-21-16.png