Rhett Lashlee

Rhett Lashlee would have 3 years experience by then...not too much different than this guy:

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kliff_kingsbury_832229.html

Granted Kingsbury had a few years in THE League, and served as OC for 3 years.

Malzahn is on record saying that only person that knows his offense as well as himself is Rhett Lashlee. Lashlee did a stint at Samford as their OC as well...so 3 years total at OC. The job he did coaching Nick Marshall is one of the better "coaching up" jobs I've seen in a while. Took a guy from JC who played DB one year and only QB 1 year in college, and coached him up over the fall to help lead the team to an NCAA championship game.

Aren't we realistically needing a coach in 2016? Won't it play out that CPJ gets no extension at the end of this season, but coaches one more year in 2015? By then more would be known about young Lashlee.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Aren't we realistically needing a coach in 2016? Won't it play out that CPJ gets no extension at the end of this season, but coaches one more year in 2015? By then more would be known about young Lashlee.

Some might argue that it would make sense to let the games play out before making that decision, but I don't disagree that is a very realistic scenario. I will myself wait until the games are actually played.

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Just like CPJ was screwed when he took over a roster recruited for a pro-style attack, right? If Hatcher was a genius stifled by his roster he would've shown up somewhere by now, no?

Yeah- and the "can't wait for him to get his recruits " crowd!

Roster of pro-style left over players > roster of hand picked option players? Who really got screwed?

thwgjacket

Yeah- and the "can't wait for him to get his recruits " crowd!

Roster of pro-style left over players > roster of hand picked option players? Who really got screwed?
Like I said, Hatcher inherited the best player in FCS football. So it wasn't Hatcher.

I really hope we win 10 games this year. Mainly because 60% of people on this site will have to eat crow.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hatcher was trying to run a wide open passing attack with a roster full of Triple Option style players. It takes about 4 years to cycle that out. Hatcher wasn't there long enough. So when CPJ finally hits the road, the next coach is screwed.
Totally disagree with this. For one, defense is not affected by the change at all...nor ST. If your hypothesis were true wouldnt it also be true that it would take 4 yrs to cycle players out when changing from a pro set to a option scheme? I guess 08, and 09 were just miracle aberration seasons on O. :/

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Totally disagree with this. For one, defense is not affected by the change at all...nor ST. If your hypothesis were true wouldnt it also be true that it would take 4 yrs to cycle players out when changing from a pro set to a option scheme? I guess 08, and 09 were just miracle aberration seasons on O. :/

What is Hatcher going to do with 8 a backs and 4 B backs, when he runs a 1 back system? Much easier to go from pro style to TO, than from TO to a 4/5 wide spread. Pro style will have 3-4 FB's and 4-5 RBs. Sign 3 A backs and you are set. Spread coach has to wait for all of the a backs to graduate, and get WRs who can catch. Big difference.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What is Hatcher going to do with 8 a backs and 4 B backs, when he runs a 1 back system? Much easier to go from pro style to TO, than from TO to a 4/5 wide spread. Pro style will have 3-4 FB's and 4-5 RBs. Sign 3 A backs and you are set. Spread coach has to wait for all of the a backs to graduate, and get WRs who can catch. Big difference.
Our abacks are our most versatile athletes. Most of them played or can play multiple positions.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Just like CPJ was screwed when he took over a roster recruited for a pro-style attack, right? If Hatcher was a genius stifled by his roster he would've shown up somewhere by now, no?

No CPJ made his living off of a well recruited pro style roster. Not a big difference between a pro style and TO roster from a personel standpoint. Hatcher is not pro style BTW.