Rhett Lashlee

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Let's hear them.
From another message board
>>1)Recruiting is definitely one issue, and it has been to little to late with the idea of recruiting out of the south.....should have happened from day one.
2)Personnel decisions......The Al Groh decision lasted way to long.....a HC should have been aware of the issue much sooner.
3)Game planning.......prep (or lack there of) against LSU, Iowa, VT among others shows to me a serious lack in that department.
4)Game day -
a)The lack of emotion by the team, the flat play and then blaming it on the players......whether it is a big again or not.
b)Lack of adjustments While the first couple of years CPJ seemed to be able to adapt as the game went on, that has obviously disappeared....even yesterday, it was defensive turn overs that kept us in the game.
c)Predictability - whether the snap count, the fourth down "try to make them jump offsides and waste a time out", throw the bomb after a turn over or when it is 3rd and long, etc, etc, etc.
d)"Conservative" play -taking a knee with 30 seconds on the clock in the 1st half.....in a tie game on the road against a ranked team that will get the ball in the 2nd half in a "must win game" after "average seasons the last 2-3 years......
5)Perceived stubbornness - kind of rolls many of the above issues together, when game plan / personnel are not working - keep trying the same thing over and over,<<

then.
http://thebiglead.com/2014/01/10/co...t-10-coaches-who-could-be-in-trouble-in-2014/

and.
http://www.macon.com/2013/12/03/2811492/johnsons-georgia-tech-program.html

and.
http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/201...t-afters-georgia-techs-bowl-loss-2546598.html

and.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jan/02/georgia-techs-johnson-needs-big-2014/

and.
http://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/is_paul_johnson_on_the_hot_seat/14336663

My biggest issues.
Stagnation:
6-7, 8-5, 7-7 and 7-6 this year. They’re 1-6 in bowl games since 2008, with the only win coming in 2012 against USC in the Sun Bowl. (That losing season was a first in over 10 seasons)
One 10 win season
Recruiting:
Lack of game changers and NFL talent only 4 players drafted recruited under his watch

I'll add
A complete lack of excitement for the program right now. We are an afterthought in our own city.

thwgjacket

I'll address in reverse order because the post is so long I have to read from bottom to top. Not saying it's a bad thing that it's long.
Complete lack of excitement- completely subjective argument here. Depends on who you ask and from the # articles you listed it seems that GT is still worth reporting on.
NFL Talent- 3 players drafted this year. You forgot Anthony Allen, CPJ brought him in. I'm assuming we're talking 2011 forward so 5 in 4 years. That's not enough but with 3 this year I would argue the trend is moving upwards. Also, is it talent or coaching ability that you have an issue with? Because if the talent is so bad then CPJ must be doing a hell of a job just to get 7 wins.

One ten win season- how many has Tech had in the last 20 years? We actually won 11, when is the last time Tech has done that?

Stagnation- 8 wins is above the average for GT this century. You're talking 3 years, split by an above average year, on an otherwise very impressive head coaching resume. Also in those years the only time we have not been in the hunt for a division title is 2010.

All the articles you posted seem to say the same thing. Either he is on the hot seat or he might be after this year but everyone seems to imply let's wait and see this year.

Stubbornness: Would a truly stubborn coach incorporate the pistol to try and get the best out of his new QB? Would a stubborn coach fire a DC after winning the ACC Championship? Would a stubborn coach fire a DC mid-season? I think the answer to all of those is no.

Conservative play- Don't we go for it on 4th more than any team in the country? Hard to tell what game you're talking about and what yard line we were on since you don't give specifics. But being tied against a ranked team on the road certainly suggests we are competitive.

Predictability- I think it's more predictable to you and I because we have seen every game over the last 6 years. I have many Clemson buddies who find Morris too predictable, especially in big games.

Lack of adjustments- Again, I just don't see that especially when the offense continues to put up good numbers.

Lack of emotion- Again subjective, it's what you think but neither you nor I are in the locker room on gameday.

Game planning- you use two games during a time when everyone was thrilled with CPJ. Then you use VT, a team that has not come close to blowing us out. I honestly have felt we are always prepared against VT and have consistently played them to the wire with the exception of maybe 1 year.

Personnel Decisions- One bad hire, Al Groh. I don't count CDW because we won 20 games and honestly I'm not going to be unhappy with any coach when we win 20 in 2 years. CPJ recognized the problem and addressed it mid-season instead of waiting until the end of the year.

Recruiting- With the exception of 2013 we have been right where Tech normally is or better, this also looks to be trending up with the new money and people being supplied to it.
----------------------------------------
Look I know that you're continuously negative but the fact is that as a head coach CPJ has a better resume than any of the guys you listed as a head coach. Does he need to win more than 7 or 8 this year? Yes and I think he would be the first to tell you that and I think we will. Another fact is that in 2014 CPJ will be our head coach. If you don't like that then I suggest you don't support the team. Perhaps find a hobby to take up your time. I have no quarrel with someone offering a different opinion than my own but I do take issue with people posting threads on new coaches when we still have a coach and a season to play.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I could list a lot of negatives about CPJ too...

@thwgjacket brings up some valid criticism of the guys you mentioned. So instead of responding to the criticisms you resort to "Yea well your guy stinks too." What is this kindergarten? Why not mention why you would want them?

I'll address in reverse order because the post is so long I have to read from bottom to top. Not saying it's a bad thing that it's long.
Complete lack of excitement- completely subjective argument here. Depends on who you ask and from the # articles you listed it seems that GT is still worth reporting on.
NFL Talent- 3 players drafted this year. You forgot Anthony Allen, CPJ brought him in. I'm assuming we're talking 2011 forward so 5 in 4 years. That's not enough but with 3 this year I would argue the trend is moving upwards. Also, is it talent or coaching ability that you have an issue with? Because if the talent is so bad then CPJ must be doing a hell of a job just to get 7 wins.

One ten win season- how many has Tech had in the last 20 years? We actually won 11, when is the last time Tech has done that?

Stagnation- 8 wins is above the average for GT this century. You're talking 3 years, split by an above average year, on an otherwise very impressive head coaching resume. Also in those years the only time we have not been in the hunt for a division title is 2010.

All the articles you posted seem to say the same thing. Either he is on the hot seat or he might be after this year but everyone seems to imply let's wait and see this year.

Stubbornness: Would a truly stubborn coach incorporate the pistol to try and get the best out of his new QB? Would a stubborn coach fire a DC after winning the ACC Championship? Would a stubborn coach fire a DC mid-season? I think the answer to all of those is no.

Conservative play- Don't we go for it on 4th more than any team in the country? Hard to tell what game you're talking about and what yard line we were on since you don't give specifics. But being tied against a ranked team on the road certainly suggests we are competitive.

Predictability- I think it's more predictable to you and I because we have seen every game over the last 6 years. I have many Clemson buddies who find Morris too predictable, especially in big games.

Lack of adjustments- Again, I just don't see that especially when the offense continues to put up good numbers.

Lack of emotion- Again subjective, it's what you think but neither you nor I are in the locker room on gameday.

Game planning- you use two games during a time when everyone was thrilled with CPJ. Then you use VT, a team that has not come close to blowing us out. I honestly have felt we are always prepared against VT and have consistently played them to the wire with the exception of maybe 1 year.

Personnel Decisions- One bad hire, Al Groh. I don't count CDW because we won 20 games and honestly I'm not going to be unhappy with any coach when we win 20 in 2 years. CPJ recognized the problem and addressed it mid-season instead of waiting until the end of the year.

Recruiting- With the exception of 2013 we have been right where Tech normally is or better, this also looks to be trending up with the new money and people being supplied to it.
----------------------------------------
Look I know that you're continuously negative but the fact is that as a head coach CPJ has a better resume than any of the guys you listed as a head coach. Does he need to win more than 7 or 8 this year? Yes and I think he would be the first to tell you that and I think we will. Another fact is that in 2014 CPJ will be our head coach. If you don't like that then I suggest you don't support the team. Perhaps find a hobby to take up your time. I have no quarrel with someone offering a different opinion than my own but I do take issue with people posting threads on new coaches when we still have a coach and a season to play.

Great post.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Not sure if you noticed but I didn't make the OP. I replied. You didn't have to reply to my post. If you don't like what I post don't read it. There's a button called ignore please feel free.

You are right CPJ will be the head coach for 2014 and probably the year after that, I'm very much understand that, and my expectation have been adjusted with that knowledge in mind. I will always support the players but I have NO idea why I have to support the coach, he is PAID to do a job.

thwgjacket

Not sure if you noticed but I didn't make the OP. I replied. You didn't have to reply to my post. If you don't like what I post don't read it. There's a button called ignore please feel free.

You are right CPJ will be the head coach for 2014 and probably the year after that, I'm very much understand that, and my expectation have been adjusted with that knowledge in mind. I will always support the players but I have NO idea why I have to support the coach, he is PAID to do a job.
I responded to yours because you have consistently been negative about CPJ and the program. I don't hit the ignore button because I don't believe in censorship and most assuredly will not censor myself.

I always find it humorous that people who dislike CPJ always use recruiting as a branch of their argument, much like you just did, then profess to support the players. I find it hard to believe a person supports the players when they consistently berate them for not having talent that matches up to a posters supposed standards.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I responded to yours because you have consistently been negative about CPJ and the program. I don't hit the ignore button because I don't believe in censorship and most assuredly will not censor myself.

I always find it humorous that people who dislike CPJ always use recruiting as a branch of their argument, much like you just did, then profess to support the players. I find it hard to believe a person supports the players when they consistently berate them for not having talent that matches up to a posters supposed standards.
dang!

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Chad Morris- Texas Tech said no thanks. Will know a lot more after this year without Watkins and Boyd. Read some articles that indicate their offense might take a big step back this year. Question about whether he can control his players since he had to call the cops on one of his QB's at the spring game.

And he will do just as well with a true freshman starting at QB this year. Why because his system is QB friendly and not this calculus on grass crap that takes our qbs 3 seasons to learn. Clemson's offense will still put up great numbers without Boyd, Watkins, and crew. Guaranteed. It's called a modern offense.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
And he will do just as well with a true freshman starting at QB this year. Why because his system is QB friendly and not this calculus on grass crap that takes our qbs 3 seasons to learn. Clemson's offense will still put up great numbers without Boyd, Watkins, and crew. Guaranteed. It's called a modern offense.
I think the second part of his post is more the problem. There's a reason Dabo is there and I can tell you it ain't for coaching in the X's and O's sense. Clemson knows they need both coaches to succeed which is why they pay them so much. I don't think those two could succeed without each other.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Clemson's starter is going to be a senior so I'm not sure what you're going on about.

And what does calling it a "modern offense" have to do with anything at all? That's called a potshot.

Scubapro

Banned
OK...Lets get a new coach...but keep in mind...this new coach will need to prove that he can graduate players before he will be allowed to have more that a few exceptions in recruiting a year.
Gailey had one good year at recruiting...it came after several years and some of us suspected his hands were tied in regards to recruiting until that final year.
Now after years of being hamstrung and "subpar" recruiting ...CPJ is allowed to recruit who he wants.
No matter who we hire the Hill will screw them over for 4 to 5 years by limiting recruiting... this will be just long enough for people to form the opinion that the new coach cant recruit, cant X and O, isn't media savvy or isn't fill in the blank when in fact the Hill set them up for failure.

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Calculus on grass lol. Guess Nesbitt was a calculus in grass savant. He became proficient in this scheme in a single spring and fall preseason

This is a fact that has been buried from most discussions. JN was a genius along with the other 10 that learned the offense in a spring and fall camp!

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson's starter is going to be a senior so I'm not sure what you're going on about.

And what does calling it a "modern offense" have to do with anything at all? That's called a potshot.

Desuan Watson will most likely end up starting. Modern spread offenses are a lot easier to learn for players. In turn they can play faster and be more athletic. Also you see a lot fewer mistakes.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Desuan Watson will most likely end up starting. Modern spread offenses are a lot easier to learn for players. In turn they can play faster and be more athletic. Also you see a lot fewer mistakes.

As in what kind of mistakes?

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
As in what kind of mistakes?

Blocking rules are simpler, qb zone reads are very simple, qb passing reads are very simple. The more simple your reads are, the less chance of making a mistake. That same offense turned Auburn around from last place in the conference to conference champs and national runner up. And they did it with a qb who had no spring practice to learn the offense. And he's clearly not the brightest person around either.