rewatching FSU game

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As good as our offense looked on our first drive is how bad our defense looked on FSU's second. Unbelievable. We do a good job of forcing 3rd and 10 which becomes 3rd and 15 after a false start only to give up back to back long passes to the TE, O'Leary.

The td pass defense really sucked balls. We dropped 8 guys into zone and could cover 3 deep receivers. As much as we complain about our DL, something really has to be done with our zone d. I'd rather get beat man to man than get beat 3 on 8.

On two of FSU's 4 first half td's, one came on a busted coverage and one when a defender fell down.

Man I'm so looking forward to a good defense next year. We'll be unstoppable if it happens.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
As good as our offense looked on our first drive is how bad our defense looked on FSU's second. Unbelievable. We do a good job of forcing 3rd and 10 which becomes 3rd and 15 after a false start only to give up back to back long passes to the TE, O'Leary.

The td pass defense really sucked balls. We dropped 8 guys into zone and could cover 3 deep receivers. As much as we complain about our DL, something really has to be done with our zone d. I'd rather get beat man to man than get beat 3 on 8.

On two of FSU's 4 first half td's, one came on a busted coverage and one when a defender fell down.

Man I'm so looking forward to a good defense next year. We'll be unstoppable if it happens.

Safeties did not have a good first half. Failed to react to the slips and blown coverages.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The game probably came down to one play. The missed pass to Waller on 4th Down. We hit that and there's a good chance we would've won.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Honestly believe if we had stopped them there, the whole complexion would have been different. Think we would have run it down their throats again and been up 14-0... hard to come back and "catch" our offense the way it has been rolling, with a 14 point lead!
We had a chance to go up 7 at the end of the half but ended up punting, giving up a td and going down 7 heading into halftime.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Still not sure who screwed up on that one.
Thomas. Waller made the right move and was wide open downfield. It just comes down to lack of chemistry though. Waller may have ran the right route but I think Smelter would've known JT wanted to throw the comeback and curled in even though he knew the correct route to run was downfield.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Thomas. Waller made the right move and was wide open downfield. It just comes down to lack of chemistry though. Waller may have ran the right route but I think Smelter would've known JT wanted to throw the comeback and curled in even though he knew the correct route to run was downfield.

IMO you're 100 percent right. Appeared that the DB "sat" on the come back and DW did what he's been coached to do.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think that the condition of the field had a lot to do with our pass coverage and pass rush failures. We have been depending a lot on blitzes recently for pass rush and that's harder on a wet field. And, of course, the O always has an advantage on a wet field when they know how to throw.

I was hoping that wouldn't make as big a difference as it did. Having a DB (Milton?) fall down on a post route is exactly what I was afraid of. Still, we could have won the game with another minute or two with the ball at the end. Great effort under increasingly sloppy circumstances.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We had opportunities on both offense and defense to win the game. The reality is that our O still had a very efficient game in scoring in keeping with its best games from all season. FSU had far and above its most efficient game from all season.

That being said, FSU hadn't needed to play a complete game to win before they played us. So, it's hard to say if our D is really that much worse than seemingly every other D they've faced this year or if they just saved their best or most complete game for us.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
i feel like we had FSU's full and undivided attention and best effort, due in part to all the media folks taking us up. I'm also sure Jimbo and Charles Kelly told them they better wake up because they were about to be in for the fight of their lives, plus they probably have seen GT play at some point this season on tv and knew we weren't no pos duke type team coming into the acc champ game to be a tackling dummy for them.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
... hard to react to slips and falls... have to assume that the teammate isn't going to do that.

True, but there was time to react. Jameis wasn't throwing bullets- on both tds the receiver had to stop to catch the ball. Safeties failed to cover the open man.

You can make excuses but that play could have been made twice.

You would love to play zone every play if possible but until we develop a disruptive d line then will continue to look bad in zone coverage. One thing I've noticed is how bad our linebackers tend to let guys get behind them.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think that the condition of the field had a lot to do with our pass coverage and pass rush failures. We have been depending a lot on blitzes recently for pass rush and that's harder on a wet field. And, of course, the O always has an advantage on a wet field when they know how to throw.

I was hoping that wouldn't make as big a difference as it did. Having a DB (Milton?) fall down on a post route is exactly what I was afraid of. Still, we could have won the game with another minute or two with the ball at the end. Great effort under increasingly sloppy circumstances.
I was waiting for us to drop 11 with three DL shadowing Winston just off the line. This would allow the LBs a deeper drop.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree. On that route, if it was a read, Waller made the right one. That guy was jumping the comeback.