rewatching FSU game

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree. On that route, if it was a read, Waller made the right one. That guy was jumping the comeback.
Where's LD when we need him? I wanna see a vine of that play so I can see when JT released the ball relative to when Daren did his hitch. It was a funny route, Waller did a little hesitation move which may have thrown JT off if it wasn't a called hitch and go.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Where's LD when we need him? I wanna see a vine of that play so I can see when JT released the ball relative to when Daren did his hitch. It was a funny route, Waller did a little hesitation move which may have thrown JT off if it wasn't a called hitch and go.
CPJ pretty much said in an interview I heard on Sirius that he ran the wrong route. Also, thinking back over the years, when its a 4th down, the receiver almost always runs a hook that's thrown down low - about thigh-high to make it harder to pick off. And if you recall, the ball bounced off the turf just past the first down marker. And its a timing pattern, you don't (as far as I know) have the latitude to do a read since its not presumed that JT isn't getting blitzed and has time to wait for the receiver to establish which of two possible routes he's running. But Waller made up for it on our last drive.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We really messed up on our last drive before the half. Just rewatched it. We drove effortlessly to midfield then stalled with the next three snaps that went

1: dive for no gain,
2: (2nd and 10) pitch for no gain - missed lead block on the edge,
3: time out then a false start after the time out ( I swear we do this more than any other team) now it's 3rd and 15 - dive of left tackle for 2 yards,
4: punt.

Would have been nice to have Smelter on that drive.

Last edited:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We really messed up on our last drive before the half. Just rewatched it. We drove effortlessly to midfield then stalled with the next three snaps that went

1: dive for no gain,
2: (2nd and 10) pitch for no gain - missed lead block on the edge,
3: time out then a false start after the time out ( I swear we do this more than any other team) now it's 3rd and 15 - dive of left tackle for 2 yards,
4: punt.
I hated that 3rd and 15 dive call. Absolutely terrible.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
FSU takes a 3 point lead middle third qtr. Bend don't break defense works as designed, sort of.

Again, we drive just over midfield with little effort then bog down. JT misses a read on 1st down. The end crashes down, the perimeter is wide open and he gives on the dive, we get 2. Then on 2nd down, we go rocket toss and get strung out because none of our OL's get to the second level. On third and 9 we try pass but JT can't find anyone, pocket collapses quickly and he chucks it out of bounds. Punt.

Another series we needed Smelter. I wonder if FSU was banking on us not throwing and was just sending the kitchen sink? We look like Tevin's offense w/o Smelter because once we get off schedule, our chances of making a first down go way down.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
FSU had one of the better Ds we faced IMO. Really did a good job of running to the ball and limiting big plays. That being said our O did a number on them and that kind of effort should almost always win you the game.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cheese is right about Bostic doing a good job... Those FSU CB were good at firing and gave Zenon, Perkins, and Bostic a hard time. All the AB stepped up this year. Their running style and field vision improved so much. It looked like they watched Robbie's 2013 tape and copied it!

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Waller slowed down so unless it was a stop and go of some sort I'm not surprised JT was confused. On an option route you can't change your mind in the middle of the play. Have to be more decisive. This is just my opinion.

Waller is not the smooth route runner that Smelter is, but he is a freakish athlete who seems to be gaining confidence. Smelter looked NFL ready, hope he recovers 100% from this knee thing. He could be the next great GT NFL wideout. Waller will get extra work with JT before the bowl, so that could help with their recognition and chemistry. He has the body to play in the NFL as well.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
As good as our offense looked on our first drive is how bad our defense looked on FSU's second. Unbelievable. We do a good job of forcing 3rd and 10 which becomes 3rd and 15 after a false start only to give up back to back long passes to the TE, O'Leary.

The td pass defense really sucked balls. We dropped 8 guys into zone and could cover 3 deep receivers. As much as we complain about our DL, something really has to be done with our zone d. I'd rather get beat man to man than get beat 3 on 8.

On two of FSU's 4 first half td's, one came on a busted coverage and one when a defender fell down.

Man I'm so looking forward to a good defense next year. We'll be unstoppable if it happens.
I agree like man for man but what was so bad ...was we got beat one on one and it appeared the guys blew a coverage.Maybe next year we get a pass rush since we cant keep using smoking mirrors for a pass or run defense.

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
Waller is not the smooth route runner that Smelter is, but he is a freakish athlete who seems to be gaining confidence. Smelter looked NFL ready, hope he recovers 100% from this knee thing. He could be the next great GT NFL wideout. Waller will get extra work with JT before the bowl, so that could help with their recognition and chemistry. He has the body to play in the NFL as well.
Agreed. He looked great on that last drive. A lot of people think he can be a pretty good TE one day.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. On that route, if it was a read, Waller made the right one. That guy was jumping the comeback.

Yes. I don't have the playbook or access to anyone who could confirm it for me but I believe that route, which is one of the staples of our passing game this year, is similar to the Choice route that Bebe was very proficient at. We run it to a single receiver side either out of Trips or with the backside play-action pass with the pulling Guard for protection. I think it works like this:

75dcjYm.jpg

The difference is that we have changed the Post variation into a Dig since we rarely see a true Middle of the Field Closed look that would let us run that route. If the DB is looking for that comeback route we've hit dozens of times and looking to jump it, we should be able to burn him if everyone is on the same page.