Rewatch

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Techster has brought up two points I was going to make. 1) Where is Terrell Lewis? 2) If we cant' find fast true linebackers, let's groom some safeties to play the position.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn't re-watch, but it seemed GSU's OL (like others) was getting a pretty good "push" on our DL.
I think that's where Brandon Adams could really help.

Interesting note: Andy Kwon, the two time All Conference center for GSU wanted to come to GT. I believe it was the same year we signed Burden among other OLs. He was really good against us.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea of having Gamble and Adams on the inside with Freeman and Simmons on the outside. That would be a handful. I would roll Gray down in the box in a LB role if we have our heart set on playing a 2 safety look. Speed over size in the LB role IF there is enough beef on the DL to get some consistent push.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Brant is doing about what I thought he would. He isn't a Keith Brooking type of LB; he's Ron Rodgers incarnate instead, i.e. he's a big strong run stuffer with a good instinct for the ball. He can be a true force if we can find a fast physically talented LB to pair him with and the DTs continue to develop. Like a lot of things in football, how well someone plays is often a product of who they are playing with. Right now, that combo isn't present. I like PJD a lot, but he's not the rangy speed guy we need to pair with Brant.

I might add that I remember when Brooking was recruited. A lot of people couldn't understand why we "wasted" a scholarship on a 205 lb LB who didn't look all that fast and who hadn't exactly torn it up in high school; he was - wait for it - Coweta County Player of the Year. Shows how sometimes you grab the brass ring.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I watched the game for the first time today. I didn't do a full study with 10 rewinds of every play, like normal. To be truthful, I have been busy, but also a little burned out with that too. There may have been a dozen plays or so where I watched several times if I was looking for something specific. So, I don't have a ton to share. Here are a few observations:

Jazz Lee is pretty fast. He gets out to the second level very quickly.

JT needs to force the commit a little more and stop slow playing the second phase of the option.

Adams is the only DL we have who consistently pushes his blocker backwards. The LOS moves into the backfield in his vicinity. He made a stop on the goal line where he just BLEW UP his guy and slapped the runner to the ground like he was a 6 year old running into his daddies thigh. He is the only guy we have at the moment who can do that kind of stuff up front. He is quick. His pad level is good. He is thick and he is explosive. Maybe he doesn't know all of his assignments. Maybe he can't go several series in a row without a breather. Whatever. There has to be a place for a guy who can stuff the center like that, assignments be dammed. What good is it to know where you are supposed to be, but you are getting pushed around? It is time we made a commitment to dictate a little on defense and he can do that.

Kallon did some good work in pass rush. Not so much against the run.

A great game for both safeties. Just great. It would have been a close game without them.

I know Mills has not put up eye popping yardage numbers yet, but he gets the most out of seemingly every run. There is so much to like. Great balance, vision, leverage, and instincts. He finishes runs. His block on JTs bootleg was great.

Our LBs are slow. Gone are the days of Watts, Nealy, Attaochu, and Hunt.

Lynch knows how to find grass. He always seems to find a way. His big play was a bust in coverage, but his other catch was a really good crisp route.

Thank you Boomer for a typically informative and insightful review. I do hope you realize that some of us, like me, anticipate your reviews for both offense and defense with great anticipation. You have the gift for seeing and explaining things in a way that less knowledgeable fans can understand.

The most important point in your review is that the linebackers are too slow. DBs are as well but that another topic. Again, this can only be addressed through recruiting and reinforces my belief that Roof is doing about as well as he can with the hand he has been dealt. However, like some, I would prefer a lot more variety in our defensive schemes. We do not move people around and try to disguise our blitzes nearly enough. I understand his reluctance to gamble and then give up the big play but it has become imperative to get our defense off the field quicker. The only way is to take more chances with blitzes and do a better job of disguising our coverage. Just my two cents.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see if Freeman could help out at LB.

Watch what you wish for.I luv Keshun but he is not agile.I'll never forget the BC game 1st qtr in which the 245lb BC QB juked KF when he had him dead to kill in the backfield. Not to mention his crazy overun on the Pitt throwback screen.A LB can't do those type things and be successful..

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Is what you want a linebacker who is keshun's size?

I have asked this on another board, but is Vic Alexander noticeably missing assignments when he plays? Wondering why he doesn't get snaps, feeling a bit like the folks who think Cottrell should be as good for us as he was on HS tape.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Is what you want a linebacker who is keshun's size?

I have asked this on another board, but is Vic Alexander noticeably missing assignments when he plays? Wondering why he doesn't get snaps, feeling a bit like the folks who think Cottrell should be as good for us as he was on HS tape.
I just think he might could be more productive at LB. As you've stated his size jumps out for the position and he has pretty good speed. Also he has a lot of experience at going after the QB and LB would give him more leverage when blitzing as opposed to trying to beat a 6'5 300 Tackle straight up. His ceiling just seems to low at the DE spot IMO.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
They should move aj Grey to linebacker. Honestly he has the size now for it in college and he could project at either in the NFL. We also have lots of depth st safety right now and in the pipeline.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
They should move aj Grey to linebacker. Honestly he has the size now for it in college and he could project at either in the NFL. We also have lots of depth st safety right now and in the pipeline.

I actually think CG would work out as a situational LB/in the box S. He brings the wood and seems to play the run better than the pass.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The other one is Cottrell, who has been in on 2 plays all season, if I remember correctly. Why not get him totally rehabbed for next season if you are not going to use him in a meaningful way this season?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The other one is Cottrell, who has been in on 2 plays all season, if I remember correctly. Why not get him totally rehabbed for next season if you are not going to use him in a meaningful way this season?
Boy, I'd like to see Cottrell get some more snaps this season too. I think he could make a great difference. I think the problem for him is that he has 5 right good ABs with game experience in front of him. Given the way Coach thinks, this is a difficulty. He'd much rather have a guy with game experience on the field then a guy with talent, even if that talent is a killer. Kirvonte Benson is in the same place; he's a yyuuge talent (sorry, was just listening to Trump) but he probably won't see the field this year since we have two prime BBs ahead of him.

Well, they pay Coach the big bucks to make these decisions. Hope he's making the right ones with Cottrell. If ever I saw a difference maker, it's him