Rewarding

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of the most rewarding seasons I can ever remember as a coach was one where we started out losing something like 8 out of the first 9. Kids were down on themselves at that time, understandably. I kept preaching hard work, and above all, I kept reminding them of the truth as I saw it, specifically, that we were talented enough to beat any team in the league and not just once in a while. I never slacked off, but instead, worked the kids harder and harder to almost ridiculous proportions. We finished every practice with the craziest conditioning sessions that I derived from my time in the Corps. I made them miserable for three reasons: first I wanted anybody who wasn't committed to leave, second, I wanted them to understand that in no way shape or form had I given up on the season, and third, I needed to develop some mental toughness. It can be hard to focus on your practice reps when you KNOW that grueling 30 minutes of hell was coming at the end. There was one condition that had to be met in order to avoid the gauntlet at the end. EVERY kid had to give 100% effort on every rep of every drill, or every game situation play along the way. We might have had a single practice where that happened. The net result though, was that the quality of practice went up and kids did a way better job of holding each other accountable.

We finished that season one game under .500 after winning 7 of the last 8. I was so proud of those kids, when it was over. At the end of the season, we talked about the lessons learned. The kids talked openly. Most all of stories involved something mental. The most common thing I heard was, when you fear practice, suddenly game pressure doesn't tighten you up as much. One of the leaders of that team returned to school after college to be an assistant coach for me in the program.

(Obviously, my sport isn't football because you can't always practice that way during a season for fear of injuries and you can't compete on Saturday with dead legs, but I digress.)

Many of us, including myself, had high expectations for GT heading into the 2015 FB season. I had no idea where our record would be, but I didn't envision what we have witnessed to date, just as I didn't those years ago coaching my team. I guess my point is, this can still end up being a very rewarding season, even if there will be no Orange Bowl at the end.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the most rewarding seasons I can ever remember as a coach was one where we started out losing something like 8 out of the first 9. Kids were down on themselves at that time, understandably. I kept preaching hard work, and above all, I kept reminding them of the truth as I saw it, specifically, that we were talented enough to beat any team in the league and not just once in a while. I never slacked off, but instead, worked the kids harder and harder to almost ridiculous proportions. We finished every practice with the craziest conditioning sessions that I derived from my time in the Corps. I made them miserable for three reasons: first I wanted anybody who wasn't committed to leave, second, I wanted them to understand that in no way shape or form had I given up on the season, and third, I needed to develop some mental toughness. It can be hard to focus on your practice reps when you KNOW that grueling 30 minutes of hell was coming at the end. There was one condition that had to be met in order to avoid the gauntlet at the end. EVERY kid had to give 100% effort on every rep of every drill, or every game situation play along the way. We might have had a single practice where that happened. The net result though, was that the quality of practice went up and kids did a way better job of holding each other accountable.

We finished that season one game under .500 after winning 7 of the last 8. I was so proud of those kids, when it was over. At the end of the season, we talked about the lessons learned. The kids talked openly. Most all of stories involved something mental. The most common thing I heard was, when you fear practice, suddenly game pressure doesn't tighten you up as much. One of the leaders of that team returned to school after college to be an assistant coach for me in the program.

(Obviously, my sport isn't football because you can't always practice that way during a season for fear of injuries and you can't compete on Saturday with dead legs, but I digress.)

Many of us, including myself, had high expectations for GT heading into the 2015 FB season. I had no idea where our record would be, but I didn't envision what we have witnessed to date, just as I didn't those years ago coaching my team. I guess my point is, this can still end up being a very rewarding season, even if there will be no Orange Bowl at the end.

We can help by not quitting on them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One of the things mentioned on the Fox Sports special about our 1990 championship team is how some of the games from the 1989 season really helped propel the team the following year. CPJ has proven his system will win, and can win big. We've got REALLY talented guys on the team, but they are young. I know it sucks for the seniors because this is their last year and they want to go out on a high note...but sometimes circumstances (massive injuries, loss of key personnel from 2014) are beyond their control.

I'm a competitive person, and I want to win all the games. I really thought GT could win at least 9 games this year, and had a good chance of making it to the ACCCG. That's not how it unfolded unfortunately. One of the things you have to look at is all the inexperience guys forced to play this year will pay dividends in 2016 and beyond. At some point, if we can't salvage the season in terms of qualifying for a bowl at least, some of the seniors will have to give way to blood the younger guys for the future. Losing like the way we have been is not a positive, but hopefully the guys can make positive progress each game and learn from it because you hope each rep is another step towards something bigger.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Spot on, Boomer! The most successful people in life often have failed miserably before achieving success! My most rewarding experiences have mirrored this line of thought as well!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
We can help by not quitting on them.

Your right Lex, they need us more than ever.

I got into a verbal fight with foggy on another board you and Boomer used to post on. They're like a bunch of Nazis at a book burning rally dancing with glee. I can't understand the life of me the hate they have for our coach and the doom and gloom they express for this team.

Sure I'm disappointed and have questioned some things our coach has done (now and past) but have always said that I'm still behind our coach and this team 100%. They call me a kool-ade drinker. I maybe but that's better than drinking lemonade like they do. How a board can be so sour I'll never know with little to no insight beside HATE. No wonder they only have a few poster's there.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I got into a verbal fight with foggy on another board you and Boomer used to post on. They're like a bunch of Nazis at a book burning rally dancing with glee. I can't understand the life of me the hate they have for our coach and the doom and gloom they express for this team.

Sure I'm disappointed and have questioned some things our coach has done (now and past) but have always said that I'm still behind our coach and this team 100%. They call me a kool-ade drinker. I maybe but that's better than drinking lemonade like they do. How a board can be so sour I'll never know with little to no insight beside HATE. No wonder they only have a few poster's there.

Ugh. That board and that poster. Horrid. Makes everyone miserable. Some posters that showed up here over the weekend belong over there. However, thanks to the technology miracle that is the ignore button, I'm no longer wise in regards to their existence here.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
See where you are coming from.

When my son was a young coach, he had a short stint at a storied high school - john Tyler in east Texas ( Earl C, etc) during a down period. Refs were giving them pay back and few kids out for program. With the smaller turn out he only had 15 kids on the sophomore team that played against 5a teams with 70 kids. When they got to the away field they were always asked where is the other bus. Only won a couple of games , but was very proud that they lead into the forth quarter on most games - just ran out of gas. He has made a difference in lots kids lives, but that year was special. No one out works his teams.

Here goes another 700 mile round trip to be at BDS to cheer the brave and bold.
Got great seats by the team. Can't wait

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Your right Lex, they need us more than ever.

You're saying he usual few suspects over there are still talking to themselves? I came to believe not even the most virulent U of GA fan could hate Tech as much as they do. Venom seems to seep down line from them.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am mentally ill and will always support GT football. But I also must put it in perspective and say that when they are bad I must distance myself in terms of the time, attention and enthusiasm I bring to it all. This is for my own sanity and has nothing to do with anyone else.....otherwise I get too caught up in it all.

But I will still attend games and watch away games.

Besides, Boomer is right, how this group reacts to this level of adversity, which CPJ has said himself he has never faced in his coaching career, will say a lot for the future.....