Rewarding

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here they are......

You nailed it. I never posted there because about every time I pondered such I realized how it was going to turn out, and life is too short. Looked at it only once since I discovered this site, though I am sorely tempted these days. But... life is too short. But this should be their anthem.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You nailed it. I never posted there because about every time I pondered such I realized how it was going to turn out, and life is too short. Looked at it only once since I discovered this site, though I am sorely tempted these days. But... life is too short. But this should be their anthem.

I posted and enjoyed the forum for years and then everything turned ugly. I've never cared much for folks who predict defeat before a game is played or a challenge is met. I believe we will beat Pittsburgh and when we do our confidence will begin to return and the players foggy heads will clear. I've seen football teams turn a season around on one play, but whatever I'll be there cheering them on and if it goes to hell in a hand basket, I'm going with them.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
MWBTWL, I also have your mental illness. Reading some of your posts I find a kindred spirit.

We as Tech fans, though, have I think taken this amazingly awful turnaround better than a lot of fan bases would. These posts by Boomer, Longestday and others do help greatly.

If you havent' read Boomer's post under Radio show, take a look. Last night Paul was at times brutally honest about what it means to be a Tech fan and a Tech coach. He pointed out that we are not ever going to have a recruiting class that looks like Bama's. In answer to another question, he noted that only four times have Tech teams had back to back two figure win totals. He stated that he likes and prefers coaching the smart and classy kids who chose us, and has no interest in coaching those kinds that "you have to chase after to get them to go to class." Even when I am mad at him, on another level I wouldn't trade him for any coach in the country. He is a great fit for Georgia Tech.

Some of the satisfaction must come from knowing you are competing with student athletes in the spirit of an earlier, purer time. From a competitive standpoint, you know you are handicapped. But you get satisfaction out of trying to win doing things the right way.

I have not given up on this year's team, but with big time glory probably not to be, what is left are two related things. 1) Improvement. If we can get better as the season goes on and win some at the end, it will help greatly. You remember more of the last part of the season, for one thing. To go into the offseason after looking really sharp for even a few games would help greatly. 2) The progress of the returning players. It is a shame that they are learning their positions in games instead of practices, but if they have talent and have learned a lot by the end, again, we'll go into the offseason with something to look forward to.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
One of the most rewarding seasons I can ever remember as a coach was one where we started out losing something like 8 out of the first 9. Kids were down on themselves at that time, understandably. I kept preaching hard work, and above all, I kept reminding them of the truth as I saw it, specifically, that we were talented enough to beat any team in the league and not just once in a while. I never slacked off, but instead, worked the kids harder and harder to almost ridiculous proportions. We finished every practice with the craziest conditioning sessions that I derived from my time in the Corps. I made them miserable for three reasons: first I wanted anybody who wasn't committed to leave, second, I wanted them to understand that in no way shape or form had I given up on the season, and third, I needed to develop some mental toughness. It can be hard to focus on your practice reps when you KNOW that grueling 30 minutes of hell was coming at the end. There was one condition that had to be met in order to avoid the gauntlet at the end. EVERY kid had to give 100% effort on every rep of every drill, or every game situation play along the way. We might have had a single practice where that happened. The net result though, was that the quality of practice went up and kids did a way better job of holding each other accountable.

We finished that season one game under .500 after winning 7 of the last 8. I was so proud of those kids, when it was over. At the end of the season, we talked about the lessons learned. The kids talked openly. Most all of stories involved something mental. The most common thing I heard was, when you fear practice, suddenly game pressure doesn't tighten you up as much. One of the leaders of that team returned to school after college to be an assistant coach for me in the program.

(Obviously, my sport isn't football because you can't always practice that way during a season for fear of injuries and you can't compete on Saturday with dead legs, but I digress.)

Many of us, including myself, had high expectations for GT heading into the 2015 FB season. I had no idea where our record would be, but I didn't envision what we have witnessed to date, just as I didn't those years ago coaching my team. I guess my point is, this can still end up being a very rewarding season, even if there will be no Orange Bowl at the end.

Boomer! I didn't know you were a "Junction Boy". Sounds like Bear Bryant's methods. We probably need some of this as we got some boys that need to reach down and see what they got. I can remember, Embry Peeples against Miami coming out and blocking an out side linebacker and just took him out. Hell, Embry wasn't any bigger than a minute but he was a man that night. These guys need to decide if they want to play football or just give up. The choice is theirs to make. Coaches coach, players play, and fans... mostly *****.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer! I didn't know you were a "Junction Boy". Sounds like Bear Bryant's methods. We probably need some of this as we got some boys that need to reach down and see what they got. I can remember, Embry Peeples against Miami coming out and blocking an out side linebacker and just took him out. Hell, Embry wasn't any bigger than a minute but he was a man that night. These guys need to decide if they want to play football or just give up. The choice is theirs to make. Coaches coach, players play, and fans... mostly *****.
I tell you, little Marcus Wright could block you, and he was tiny in that AB spot. It can be done by smaller ABs.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I realize I am personally invested. Beginning with Notre Dame, and then even by the end of the Duke game, the season turned painful for many of us. Everyone's frustration is understandable. I'm sure no one is more frustrated than the coaching staff themselves. This thread is helpful. Like many since then that have acted as roll calls for who is bitter, this one has become a collection of those who remain loyal and reasonable.

Thanks for showing up here. We needed you.