Revelations after 3 weeks

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
A silent majority of Tech fans believe we can win by being unique and run gimmick scheme

Navy is 70 out of 72 in total offense for FBS teams who have played this year. Yet a lot of folks would go back to that offense if they could.

It amazes me that people can't see how the gimmick offense damaged our recruiting on both sides of the ball. They don't understand that poor recruiting and player retention from 2016-2018 is impacting the product Collins is able to put on the field.

Not a great deal of football acumen on this board among a lot--not all, but a lot--of folks who post frequently. Their answer: "call different plays." Yeah right, that will fix the talent deficiency.

Jmonty71

Banned
The two main areas of improvement should be turnovers and penalties. This is on the coaching staff. If you play a clean game and get beat you can take those lessons and improve.
If we could clean the turnovers up, we would automatically become a much better team. Issue is, Sims has great skills, but his mechanics are definitely in need of improvement. It will come, with time. We have to take the great plays, along with the face palm mistakes. Another area to improve on, for me? Defense's ability to recognize a play. We don't seem to be able to pick up what the offense is doing. This is on the DC, to teach how to react to different things on the field. We blow coverages, by not reading what it being done.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Navy is 70 out of 72 in total offense for FBS teams who have played this year. Yet a lot of folks would go back to that offense if they could.

It amazes me that people can't see how the gimmick offense damaged our recruiting on both sides of the ball. They don't understand that poor recruiting and player retention from 2016-2018 is impacting the product Collins is able to put on the field.

Not a great deal of football acumen on this board among a lot--not all, but a lot--of folks who post frequently. Their answer: "call different plays." Yeah right, that will fix the talent deficiency.

This is the most football intelligent post that has been made in 2020.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

If many of the people on this board had the opportunity to call plays, the offense would consist of:
Zone runs to the wide side of the field
50 yard pass attempts
And of course, the “score a touchdown play”
That’s about it

Deleted member 2897

Another undersold point is practice. Imagine being on defense playing against Jeff Sims, Jahmyr Gibbs, and the rest of the offense every day. Now imagine in the old era when you played against the scout team to get ready for a game, which are a lot of walk-ons and bench players.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
If many of the people on this board had the opportunity to call plays, the offense would consist of:
Zone runs to the wide side of the field
50 yard pass attempts
And of course, the “score a touchdown play”
That’s about it

Dang it how did you get a copy of my playbook :LOL:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

And yet, both army and navy are scoring more points per play than us. Navy never found their replacement for Reynolds and have suffered mightily since (similar time our struggle after no replacement for JT).

I’m not even calling for a return to the 30. I’ve always been a big fan of Leach and would prefer Air RAID over either what we had or have now. But to throw shade at service academies when we can’t get over 2 points per drive is laughable.

Well since you started it, stats can be killers. We are 56 out of 72 in PPG. Army is 40 out of 72. Yards do not win games.

And we just lost to the team that was formerly in last place for total offense. Also, Army, which runs an offense closer to what CPJ ran than Navy does is nowhere near the bottom. Not in any way suggesting we go back to CPJ's offense, but it certainly does produce positive results with the right personnel.

Milwaukee

Banned
Not a great deal of football acumen on this board among a lot--not all, but a lot--of folks who post frequently.

This. But they only post a lot after losses, and don’t have much to say after wins. This is a 4-5 year rebuild and the people inside the program understand that. It’s gonna be a long season and next season as well unless we catch a lot of breaks. I think next year and year 4 we will see a nice uptick based on the jimmies and joes alone.
Dabo says it best when he talks about recruiting; you can win national titles with great players and bad coaching, but you can’t win em with bad players and great coaching. Now obviously he doesn’t mean that he wants or thinks it’s okay to have worse coaching, but he’s emphasizing the importance in recruiting and recognizes that at the college level it’s more important than coaching. We need both to be elite, otherwise we’d just be Mia or FSU. That being said we have to get the roster turned over and it takes several years. You can’t help but laugh at the few people here acting hysterical and calling the staff bums because we’re not there yet after 1 season 😂. But Milwaukee “It’s the manner in which we’re losing is why I’m crying constantly, but only after losses otherwise I’m in hiding”. The manner in which we’re losing has a lot more to do with the players than the staff. Our staff has made mistakes imo but they’re fighting a battle with their hands tied behind their back in regards to our special teams cluster. The kickers are obviously choking like hell and can’t perform in the moment. If we were kicking like this in practice our staff wouldn’t even trot them out there this season to attempt an xp.
I’d be playing a lot more aggressively on defense. Selling out blitzes frequently and sending at least 5 on 100% of snaps. We don’t have the horses anywhere on D to line up and play. We have nothing to lose so may as well try to be disruptive and cause mayhem. Pun intended.
Offensively I like what we’re doing overall we’re just so green at QB he’s killing us with turnovers, and I’m okay with that. He’ll get better with more games and as the OL improves.
This off-season ST is gonna be a major emphasis after this dumpster fire so far. This year is also a write off as far as a free year of experience for all the players. No that doesn’t mean we’re not trying to win now, bet your *** the coaches and players are trying to win now.
The future is bright and most everyone in the fan base and within the program is stoked about it. Don’t listen too much to the ones moaning. LFG

alagold

Helluva Engineer
That particular problem predates Coach Collins by many years. The entire time Phil Fulmer was at Tennessee, he made a living stealing a half a dozen of the best players in metro Atlanta every year. IIWII

Heck, there are LOTS of teams from all over the US that dip into Ga to recruit.Michigan got 4 2 yrs ago (last report), Louisville got 2, even California teams, --Awbern had FIVE (more than even from Ala), N.Dame, etc

This. But they only post a lot after losses, and don’t have much to say after wins. This is a 4-5 year rebuild and the people inside the program understand that. It’s gonna be a long season and next season as well unless we catch a lot of breaks. I think next year and year 4 we will see a nice uptick based on the jimmies and joes alone.
Dabo says it best when he talks about recruiting; you can win national titles with great players and bad coaching, but you can’t win em with bad players and great coaching. Now obviously he doesn’t mean that he wants or thinks it’s okay to have worse coaching, but he’s emphasizing the importance in recruiting and recognizes that at the college level it’s more important than coaching. We need both to be elite, otherwise we’d just be Mia or FSU. That being said we have to get the roster turned over and it takes several years. You can’t help but laugh at the few people here acting hysterical and calling the staff bums because we’re not there yet after 1 season 😂. But Milwaukee “It’s the manner in which we’re losing is why I’m crying constantly, but only after losses otherwise I’m in hiding”. The manner in which we’re losing has a lot more to do with the players than the staff. Our staff has made mistakes imo but they’re fighting a battle with their hands tied behind their back in regards to our special teams cluster. The kickers are obviously choking like hell and can’t perform in the moment. If we were kicking like this in practice our staff wouldn’t even trot them out there this season to attempt an xp.
I’d be playing a lot more aggressively on defense. Selling out blitzes frequently and sending at least 5 on 100% of snaps. We don’t have the horses anywhere on D to line up and play. We have nothing to lose so may as well try to be disruptive and cause mayhem. Pun intended.
Offensively I like what we’re doing overall we’re just so green at QB he’s killing us with turnovers, and I’m okay with that. He’ll get better with more games and as the OL improves.
This off-season ST is gonna be a major emphasis after this dumpster fire so far. This year is also a write off as far as a free year of experience for all the players. No that doesn’t mean we’re not trying to win now, bet your *** the coaches and players are trying to win now.
The future is bright and most everyone in the fan base and within the program is stoked about it. Don’t listen too much to the ones moaning. LFG

Agree here except I don't think he has 4 years. Next year they need to get at least 6 wins. If we have what I think may be a 1 or 2 win year this year, they can't afford to do the same next. Three bad losing years will start to have an effect on recruiting.

slugboy

Staff member
Heck, there are LOTS of teams from all over the US that dip into Ga to recruit.Michigan got 4 2 yrs ago (last report), Louisville got 2, even California teams, --Awbern had FIVE (more than even from Ala), N.Dame, etc
I'm stunned Auburn only had 5, even though that's 1/4th or 1/5th of their class. Auburn, Alabama, UT, and FSU have been recruiting the metro Atlanta area (and Georgia overall) heavily for a while.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I have noticed this and have wondered where are our safeties? Have they had a pass breakup at all this year?

Good question.I guess having 220 lb and 240 lb safeties is not real helpful in pass def.J.Thomas missing the tackle on the 205 lb running back on that first TD makes one wonder if that weight helps at all. hmmm

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims seems to be getting a lot of passes tipped by the DL. I wonder if some of this is technique with tall lines in front of him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good question.I guess having 220 lb and 240 lb safeties is not real helpful in pass def.J.Thomas missing the tackle on the 205 lb running back on that first TD makes one wonder if that weight helps at all. hmmm
The non-tackle on the first TD was a fluke. 99 of 100 times the kid is taken down and doesn't land on top of Juanyeh, keeping his feet under him. 1 inch and his knee hits. 1 inch and his elbow hits. Juanyeh didn't "miss" the tackle.