Revelations after 3 weeks

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am a bit disappointed with the defense we have seen so far under the Collins regime. He was born and bred on the defensive side of the ball and even earned the moniker of "Master of Mayhem" or some such slogan. So I really thought that would become our calling card sooner than the other side of the ball. We get a lot of positives about our talent in the secondary but yet they have not produced good results. Our linebackers are average at best and our defensive line is still a work in progress. I think we have some good coaches. I know Marco knows how to play the DE position and surely he can teach it. We seem to have some pretty solid talent there but we are still not getting the kind of pressure we need. I do see some improvement on the Interior DL and I am encouraged by the development and emerging talent. I don't really understand the Linebacker situation. We must not have much depth there at all. Curry is solid but not an all star and plays every down. Jackson flashes at times but is inconsistent and Knight just has not stood out at all so far. I know we have some young guys in reserve but maybe we need to look at some of our bigger safeties or smaller DE's and see if they can provide more depth or improve results. I guess Thacker coaches the backers but maybe his overall responsibility as DC dilutes his effectiveness with the position group. The secondary to me has not developed like so many felt they would. The safeties are not the playmakers we hoped they would be and we seem reluctant to try the depth there. I'm sure there is a reason for that. The corners I think are a bit better but still not reliable. I know we are missing Swilling and I am sure he will help. Walton has played well but I really have ot noticed anyone else stepping up. I think the coaching here, (Burton and Popovich)needs to be examined and

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
My issue is the dumb mistakes and penalties. Include the kicking game and take your pick of the WTF moments.
We look better getting off the bus and during warm ups for sure. We are scoring a few more points than last year but not near enough to win games. The D ... IDK what to say about them.

I agree that there are plenty of things that need to be fixed. And I have no problem with people talking about those.

Just comments like, “Well I thought we’d look better this year when in fact we arent any better” get annoying.

Also, very non specific comments get annoying as well.For example, I saw a lot of comping about play calling.

I’m not saying the play calling has been perfect, but what specific play calls did you not like? What wouldyou have rather seen?

The straight up whining some people on this board have is getting old.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do see some improvement on the Interior DL and I am encouraged by the development and emerging talent. I don't really understand the Linebacker situation. We must not have much depth there at all. Curry is solid but not an all star and plays every down. Jackson flashes at times but is inconsistent and Knight just has not stood out at all so far. I know we have some young guys in reserve but maybe we need to look at some of our bigger safeties or smaller DE's and see if they can provide more depth or improve results.

This is just a theory but I would like to see us start recruiting fewer athletes and trying to find a place where they fit and more focus on athletes who have already played a position for a few years in HS. I think there are advantages to specialization although there are exceptions to every rule. Imagine how more effective Knight might be now if he had focused on LB in HS?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sorry about the partial post but my edit timed out. The conclusion was basically we need to coach better and the players need to play better. Defense is Collins calling card and we need to alter our current culture and do what it takes to develop a climate of fear from our opponents over facing the GT defense.

Go Jackets!

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry about the partial post but my edit timed out. The conclusion was basically we need to coach better and the players need to play better. Defense is Collins calling card and we need to alter our current culture and do what it takes to develop a climate of fear from our opponents over facing the GT defense.

Go Jackets!

I agree that the defense has been a little disappointing. I think one big issue is just there doesn’t seem to be any true difference makers. It’s just 11 decent players out there. They don’t suck, but no one is elite. Need a few true playmakers to develop on that side of the ball.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
We get consistently beat deep. I realize part of that is putting pressure on the receivers to reduce the 7 and 8 yard easy completions we experienced in the past. But at some point, we may need to zone more to try to reduce the big plays against our defense.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We get consistently beat deep. I realize part of that is putting pressure on the receivers to reduce the 7 and 8 yard easy completions we experienced in the past. But at some point, we may need to zone more to try to reduce the big plays against our defense.

I have noticed this and have wondered where are our safeties? Have they had a pass breakup at all this year?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sure our PKs are NOT being coached to kick the ground 6" behind the ball, which basically bounces their foot into the ball halfway up, rather than near the bottom, resulting in line drives that are 5' high that hit our own OLmen in the back.

So far, they are just choking in gametime situations. I'm also sure they are probably kicking fine in practice, when it doesn't count.

Once it's a real PAT/FG, they are completely choking though. Watch the SYR kicks. You'll see a cloud of that black astroturf stuff before their foot hits the ball halfway up. Not sure how ST coach fixes what's an obvious mental block the PKs have because I'm certain they aren't this bad in practice.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a bit disappointed with the defense we have seen so far under the Collins regime. He was born and bred on the defensive side of the ball and even earned the moniker of "Master of Mayhem" or some such slogan. So I really thought that would become our calling card sooner than the other side of the ball. We get a lot of positives about our talent in the secondary but yet they have not produced good results. Our linebackers are average at best and our defensive line is still a work in progress. I think we have some good coaches. I know Marco knows how to play the DE position and surely he can teach it. We seem to have some pretty solid talent there but we are still not getting the kind of pressure we need. I do see some improvement on the Interior DL and I am encouraged by the development and emerging talent. I don't really understand the Linebacker situation. We must not have much depth there at all. Curry is solid but not an all star and plays every down. Jackson flashes at times but is inconsistent and Knight just has not stood out at all so far. I know we have some young guys in reserve but maybe we need to look at some of our bigger safeties or smaller DE's and see if they can provide more depth or improve results. I guess Thacker coaches the backers but maybe his overall responsibility as DC dilutes his effectiveness with the position group. The secondary to me has not developed like so many felt they would. The safeties are not the playmakers we hoped they would be and we seem reluctant to try the depth there. I'm sure there is a reason for that. The corners I think are a bit better but still not reliable. I know we are missing Swilling and I am sure he will help. Walton has played well but I really have ot noticed anyone else stepping up. I think the coaching here, (Burton and Popovich)needs to be examined and

The DB play is the most concerning as the other levels were known to be thin. We are just not making plays in the secondary and it is not the result of our pass rush, only.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So you don't think we should try to win national championships? 10 win seasons and a bunch of bowl losses are the goal? Is just being second fiddle in the ACC good enough now?

Also, FSU and Miami won't stay down forever, so we will have to out-recruit at least one of them to maintain the spot VT held for the last decade.

Edit to add: I might be misreading some of what you are saying, but I tend to believe we are going to have to be top 15 in recruiting to be successful here with the current coaching and schemes.

Ag

You can thank COVID contact tracing and early injuries for a good chunk of the defensive woes. Missing depth in on the DL and Tre at CB is big.

The other part is discipline. A lot of the TDs on bombs are bc CBs are not doing what they are taught. I’m not sure what Juanyah was doing as the Centerfielder on the 2 deep ball that pushed the lead back to 10

Jmonty71

Banned
IMHO. We are young and it shows. Have a QB that needs to learn to take a sack. I am now wondering if he is hearing footsteps and is getting itchy with the ball. We make way too many STUPID mistakes. Not mental breakdowns, not emotions getting away. These are STUPID mistakes. Lack of coaching, lack of play time and lack of understanding plays and downs. Collins is starting to prove to me, that he cannot (repeat CANNOT) coach within the game itself. He may talk a good game, but he simply cannot back it up, on the field. He also needs to learn. Good take away is, we have gotten some good recruits in. Not sure if that trend continues with loses to teams like Syracuse and Citadel.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to someone bringing the Air Raid to the flats, a la Mike Leach. Looks like it's working out really good for ms st.
This would be Dope! If CGC can bring someone in to run that, I would be over the moon happy! (assuming CDP doesn't work out)

I know the defense has struggled, but CGC is more of a proven commodity as far as DC goes, CDP has not had too much success (a few good seasons here and there over 20 years).

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Guys you are missing the point! It's all part of the master plan. CGC is doing all this in order to make Pressley Harvin the first punter ever drafted in the first round! ;)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And, the problem is, that at the same time our coaches are doing yeoman's work trying to change the landscape of our recruiting, the kids are still watching the games and the results. It does have an impact on recruiting - so, even though CGC is a top notch recruiter, this is going to be very, very hard if the results on the field look much like yesterday the rest of this year. I am the first to admit that CPJ did not leave him a lot to work with going to this new offense, but this team is CGC's now, and unfortunately for him, short term results, whether fair or not, do matter to 4 star and 5 star guys - like most of us, they like a "sure thing" most of the time - of course, the most important thing to them is getting to the League healthy, as most of them believe their talent will get them there.
I totally disagree with this. What they're seeing on the field will absolutely help. Yes, we've made a ton of mistakes that have derailed us, and we haven't played well. But the "not playing well" has been due to turnovers, kicking, and penalties. These are ALL things the kids we're going after can see themselves helping to fix. What they also are seeing is a group of dynamic young men getting the opportunity to play early and make an impact on the program. Absolutely we cannot continue to play like this, but the kids who are truly football players see what is really happening on the field.