Revealing Stats - Mediocre Year

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have FIVE 2 -3 yr lettermen(4 Srs) in DBs and they had next to no ints. Admittedly little rush but no worse than last yr.A poor result overall.Have much worse could new guys be next yr? we'll see. hmmm
Playing the ball in the air was none of their strong suits. It’s weird how that happens to so many guys all at once.

What happened to recruiting the DJ Whites and the Jamal Goldens?

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Putting the original post about INTs into more perspective, this year’s Defense managed the fewest turnovers/game since 1997! (Of course that year the x-factor was a certain Joe Hamilton cancelling-out adversity en route to 7-5). Do y’all realize we had only one measly Defensive TD this season? Also fewest kick-blocks in a long time. You can talk about scheme all you want (not much different than previous years) or “making your own luck” but it takes some extraordinary bad luck to achieve all-time worst stats like these.

Last edited:

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's a painful stat:

GT ranks dead last in the country (#129) in red zone defense, with opposing teams scoring on an efficient .973 (36/37) trips.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
In my opinion, the defense only had a couple bad games this year - Duke and the Dwags. The Dwags I can kind of excuse, because they are after all a Top 5 team. And it was tight in the first half. I think they eventually just got worn down when the offense couldn't do anything.

In regulation, only 3 teams scored more than 25 points against us this year - Virginia, Duke, and the Dwags.

With Virginia, our special teams and offense was so poor, that 6 of Virginia's 8 scores were on drives less than 38 yards. Those 6 drives had an average length of 18 yards! Here is a summary of their scoring drives:
* 16 yards (FG)
* 38 yards (FG)
* 0 yards (TD) (kick return)
* 78 yards (TD)
* 30 yards (TD)
* 28 yards (FG)
* 0 yards (Safety)
* 64 yards (TD)

Virginia was only 4-17 on 3rd down. As you see on this list, they only had 2 sustained drives. They started deep on our side of the field way too many times do to bad kick off coverage, us having to punt from our own end zone, etc. Virginia had 357 yards of offense, which is not great, but also not bad. I mean 6 of the 8 drives were 18 yards on average.

To me, special teams (outside of punting) was just horrid. We had like 5 or 6 games where we didn't get a single takeaway. And after the first couple games, we couldn't seem to complete a pass to save our lives. When teams are confident enough to just pack the line of scrimmage against us and we can't make them pay...not good.

As much as we all want to just throw up and fire everyone in the country, you have to make decisions without emotion. I look especially at Duke or times in other games where we gave up drives, and our alignment was just too far off the line of scrimmage. The epitome of that was this play against Duke. It was 3rd and 18 and now its 4th and 6. Notice that once everybody starts backing up, we only have 4 guys inside the line to beat. How can you stop someone from making it 6 yards if its 11 versus 4?
KZ1g4n.gif
I thought Tennessee scored 28 in regulation? So Tennessee, Duke, UVA, and Dwags.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
who did we stop late in the season? I think it was UVA game where they said over the air that teams were still 100% against us at that point

I'm not saying it isn't true. I just can't believe it! I thought the defense, as poor as it was at times, had not been that bad.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not saying it isn't true. I just can't believe it! I thought the defense, as poor as it was at times, had not been that bad.

Its true that they weren't that bad. You can't win all statistics. The team did a great job on 3rd down this year (one of the best in the nation) and their total yardage given up was pretty good. Scoring defense was pretty good. But red zone defense was not good. One of the biggest problems was takeaways - when you don't get takeaways in the first place (we had 10 takeaways IIRC...by comparison, Miami had something like 29), then your only hope of a stop in the red zone is a missed FG.