Revealing Stats - Mediocre Year

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wait, I thought 3rd down defense was the big go to stat that people loved? Wasn't that stat all the rage the past couple of years. Funny how it fell out of favor this year.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I also wonder how much of an impact playing some terrible teams had. Pitt and UNC went 3/25 on third down, but my god did those teams suck this year. By and large the offensive production of the teams we played dropped across the board with the exception of UGA which was better this year than last.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I also wonder how much of an impact playing some terrible teams had. Pitt and UNC went 3/25 on third down, but my god did those teams suck this year. By and large the offensive production of the teams we played dropped across the board with the exception of UGA which was better this year than last.
Pitt beat Miami

Deleted member 2897

In my opinion, the defense only had a couple bad games this year - Duke and the Dwags. The Dwags I can kind of excuse, because they are after all a Top 5 team. And it was tight in the first half. I think they eventually just got worn down when the offense couldn't do anything.

In regulation, only 3 teams scored more than 25 points against us this year - Virginia, Duke, and the Dwags.

With Virginia, our special teams and offense was so poor, that 6 of Virginia's 8 scores were on drives less than 38 yards. Those 6 drives had an average length of 18 yards! Here is a summary of their scoring drives:
* 16 yards (FG)
* 38 yards (FG)
* 0 yards (TD) (kick return)
* 78 yards (TD)
* 30 yards (TD)
* 28 yards (FG)
* 0 yards (Safety)
* 64 yards (TD)

Virginia was only 4-17 on 3rd down. As you see on this list, they only had 2 sustained drives. They started deep on our side of the field way too many times do to bad kick off coverage, us having to punt from our own end zone, etc. Virginia had 357 yards of offense, which is not great, but also not bad. I mean 6 of the 8 drives were 18 yards on average.

To me, special teams (outside of punting) was just horrid. We had like 5 or 6 games where we didn't get a single takeaway. And after the first couple games, we couldn't seem to complete a pass to save our lives. When teams are confident enough to just pack the line of scrimmage against us and we can't make them pay...not good.

As much as we all want to just throw up and fire everyone in the country, you have to make decisions without emotion. I look especially at Duke or times in other games where we gave up drives, and our alignment was just too far off the line of scrimmage. The epitome of that was this play against Duke. It was 3rd and 18 and now its 4th and 6. Notice that once everybody starts backing up, we only have 4 guys inside the line to beat. How can you stop someone from making it 6 yards if its 11 versus 4?
KZ1g4n.gif

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Pitt just beat MIAMI when coach benched the starting qb and played a freshman who went 18 for 29 with 1 t d and 0 interceptions.

Pitt is better now than when we played them and we are clearly worse. Next year we play them there. Ouch

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Pitt beat da U.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Fumbles aren’t fluky. You see good defenses punch the ball out all the time. Sure some are flukes but not all. Also, if there’s only one guy around the ball when a fumble occurs, your chances of recovering aren’t as great. You see great defenses with multiple guys swarming to the ball carrier and that’s why they can pounce on the balls on the ground. 70% of the time our DB’s are the ones making 1 on 1 tackles because our front 7 got put on their asses.

Our interceptions this year should’ve been much higher. Our DB’s apparently have frying pan hands.
If you can find a trend year over year, I’d love to see it.
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-fumbles-per-game

If you give the defense the benefit of the doubt on those sort of things don't forget us being 3 o lineman down and our best offensive player kicked off the team. Can't pick and choose
Not the same because they weren't from essentially the same class or they all weren't from the same position group. The players you are mentioning were known by the coaches to be leaving at time the coaches could make an adjustment. They weren't surprises like the DL losses were. You are comparing apples and oranges. The DL losses also caused the coaching staff to have to change recruiting needs for the next year. Losing RS Soph is big especially when the lost players were going to be big contributors. The OL lost weren't going to be starters. Klock had lost his spot. Why he left. Forn was a back up at best. Mills was at best on thin ice his whole time on the flats. Not a big surprise he could handle business. If we'd lost 4 OL that were going to be in the two deep at the beginning of a season the OL would be putrid instead of the mess we have now.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I agree that it wasn't a good season, but your statements are not right. We average 307 rushing yards per game. That is pretty on par for most years. In comparison, last year we averaged 258. The year before, 255. 2014 was our best year under CPJ with 342.

Where we couldn't get it done was in passing. All time lows in just able every category. Here's a table I just put together:

View attachment 3151

Tis the season!

Fa la la la la la la la la:whistle:

Nice charting. Thanks for putting it together.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think the 10 yard cushion had a lot to do with it. When you leave the underneath passes wide open there isn't much room for an int.

We ran a lot more press cover this year actually. Pretty similar imo to most teams I watched. Maybe that's why we didn't get more picks....(n)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In my opinion, the defense only had a couple bad games this year - Duke and the Dwags. The Dwags I can kind of excuse, because they are after all a Top 5 team. And it was tight in the first half. I think they eventually just got worn down when the offense couldn't do anything.

In regulation, only 3 teams scored more than 25 points against us this year - Virginia, Duke, and the Dwags.

With Virginia, our special teams and offense was so poor, that 6 of Virginia's 8 scores were on drives less than 38 yards. Those 6 drives had an average length of 18 yards! Here is a summary of their scoring drives:
* 16 yards (FG)
* 38 yards (FG)
* 0 yards (TD) (kick return)
* 78 yards (TD)
* 30 yards (TD)
* 28 yards (FG)
* 0 yards (Safety)
* 64 yards (TD)

Virginia was only 4-17 on 3rd down. As you see on this list, they only had 2 sustained drives. They started deep on our side of the field way too many times do to bad kick off coverage, us having to punt from our own end zone, etc. Virginia had 357 yards of offense, which is not great, but also not bad. I mean 6 of the 8 drives were 18 yards on average.

To me, special teams (outside of punting) was just horrid. We had like 5 or 6 games where we didn't get a single takeaway. And after the first couple games, we couldn't seem to complete a pass to save our lives. When teams are confident enough to just pack the line of scrimmage against us and we can't make them pay...not good.

As much as we all want to just throw up and fire everyone in the country, you have to make decisions without emotion. I look especially at Duke or times in other games where we gave up drives, and our alignment was just too far off the line of scrimmage. The epitome of that was this play against Duke. It was 3rd and 18 and now its 4th and 6. Notice that once everybody starts backing up, we only have 4 guys inside the line to beat. How can you stop someone from making it 6 yards if its 11 versus 4?
KZ1g4n.gif

I dunno...this play was fairly well played imo. Would I have rather given up a 2-3 yards less? Sure! But the main goal was to prevent the 1st down which was accomplished.

The "cushion" imo wasn't the downfall here. BM was responsible for the receiver that made the catch. The DBs were covering other receivers and came up to assist on the hit.

Would I have liked to have seen BM play this tighter? Yeah. And maybe undercut to break it up if he had. If he got burned deep I'd be even more upset though. The boundary safety looked like he was primarily deep help for the 2 outside receivers in the boundary. So BM getting beat deep to the middle of the field could have possibly gone the distance instead. Just my opinion.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
For CPJ to be successful year in and out he needs to either consistently establish a pass threat or a really good defense. If he could do both we could be onto something special.

Deleted member 2897

I dunno...this play was fairly well played imo. Would I have rather given up a 2-3 yards less? Sure! But the main goal was to prevent the 1st down which was accomplished.

The "cushion" imo wasn't the downfall here. BM was responsible for the receiver that made the catch. The DBs were covering other receivers and came up to assist on the hit.

Would I have liked to have seen BM play this tighter? Yeah. And maybe undercut to break it up if he had. If he got burned deep I'd be even more upset though. The boundary safety looked like he was primarily deep help for the 2 outside receivers in the boundary. So BM getting beat deep to the middle of the field could have possibly gone the distance instead. Just my opinion.

Um, they got the first down. And they went on to score a TD on that drive. That red line is the first down line. We put 7 guys at minimum 2 yards BEYOND the line after the ball was snapped, meaning they were playing 11 against our 4 inside of about 8 yards and they only needed 6.