Revealing Stats - Mediocre Year

JacketDynasty

Georgia Tech Fan
We all know that there is a thin margin between winning and losing for Georgia Tech Football, our talent is not that superior over our competition and we evidently cannot out scheme or out coach the other guys consistently. So lets look at several compelling ncaa stats for this year.

Special Teams: (probably loss for two games Tenn and Virginia)
Field Goals: NCAA ranking: 121

Playmaking: Turnovers
Interceptions: ncaa ranking: 118
fumbles recovered: ncaa ranking: 123
Sacks: ncaa ranking 116

How many games did GA TEch win in 2014 because of turnovers? 3 against GA? interception versus VA Tech, 5 fumbles versus Pitt,

This defense, though statistically, was better on certain things, failed to make big plays, or any plays to win a ball game. Finally made a play against Va Tech.

Had a very experienced secondary and its very disappointed that they couldn't come down with a big play when needed. Stats are all telling.

Jacketdynasty

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Good first post, welcome. You highlighted what I was struggling with to think of why this year seems so weird. From 10,000 feet you could argue that the defense is better. However, I can't recall the last time we got a turnover. And we've had so many flukey plays where we had a sure interception go for a brutal, daggerish reception for the other team. In other words, a play that ultimately could have been a 14 point difference (that team ultimately scored, where we could have had a pick-6 or at least a pick + drive for TD).

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not able to dig into how these stats were calculated (ie were they corrected for opposing teams usually having fewer possessions when they play us). However, I feel like fumbles are just flukey, but you definitely 'make your own luck' with picks.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
We all know that there is a thin margin between winning and losing for Georgia Tech Football, our talent is not that superior over our competition and we evidently cannot out scheme or out coach the other guys consistently. So lets look at several compelling ncaa stats for this year.

How many games did GA TEch win in 2014 because of turnovers? 3 against GA? interception versus VA Tech, 5 fumbles versus Pitt,

This defense, though statistically, was better on certain things, failed to make big plays, or any plays to win a ball game. Finally made a play against Va Tech.

Had a very experienced secondary and its very disappointed that they couldn't come down with a big play when needed. Stats are all telling.

Jacketdynasty

We saw time and time again this year where the opposing team put in on the turf and ended up recovering. Wasn't there three opportunities on Duke's first drive? Two fumbles and a gimme interception. They still came away with 3 points.

Jacketdynasty
Where are the offensive stats at? Scoring per game was down. Rushing yes per game down. Rushung yes per attempt down. Total yds from the LOS is down. Passing yes per game down. The entire team had a terrible season. Defense ranked higher over all this year than the previous 3 yrs.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The issue with a lot of this is that it presumes there’s a skill to perform certain things in the clutch - however that’s defined - that isn’t present in other aspects of the game. The sacks issue is almost certainly related to skill, but that’s perhaps why people are irritated with Roof - that he didn’t do enough to help generate pressure if his front four couldn’t get home by themselves.

The fumbles recovered metric means nothing to me; it’s almost exclusively luck. The interceptions issue is meaningless without more information about how many passes were thrown and our rate of intercepting them related to other teams. I tend to find it hard to believe that for four games last year we figured out how to intercept passes and then forgot this year. There’s probably a better explanation. Perhaps it’s related to the cushion the corners give, or something like that. Though then the question becomes how many big plays (20+ yards) did we give up. Everything is a trade off.

I guess what I’m saying is that there isn’t a silver bullet here. 22 people on the field makes hard to isolate variables.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Where are the offensive stats at? Scoring per game was down. Rushing yes per game down. Rushung yes per attempt down. Total yds from the LOS is down. Passing yes per game down. The entire team had a terrible season. Defense ranked higher over all this year than the previous 3 yrs.
I agree that it wasn't a good season, but your statements are not right. We average 307 rushing yards per game. That is pretty on par for most years. In comparison, last year we averaged 258. The year before, 255. 2014 was our best year under CPJ with 342.

Where we couldn't get it done was in passing. All time lows in just able every category. Here's a table I just put together:

upload_2017-11-29_11-56-23.png

Tis the season!

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
The issue with a lot of this is that it presumes there’s a skill to perform certain things in the clutch - however that’s defined - that isn’t present in other aspects of the game. The sacks issue is almost certainly related to skill, but that’s perhaps why people are irritated with Roof - that he didn’t do enough to help generate pressure if his front four couldn’t get home by themselves.

The fumbles recovered metric means nothing to me; it’s almost exclusively luck. The interceptions issue is meaningless without more information about how many passes were thrown and our rate of intercepting them related to other teams. I tend to find it hard to believe that for four games last year we figured out how to intercept passes and then forgot this year. There’s probably a better explanation. Perhaps it’s related to the cushion the corners give, or something like that. Though then the question becomes how many big plays (20+ yards) did we give up. Everything is a trade off.

I guess what I’m saying is that there isn’t a silver bullet here. 22 people on the field makes hard to isolate variables.
I think the 10 yard cushion had a lot to do with it. When you leave the underneath passes wide open there isn't much room for an int.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Fumbles aren’t fluky. You see good defenses punch the ball out all the time. Sure some are flukes but not all. Also, if there’s only one guy around the ball when a fumble occurs, your chances of recovering aren’t as great. You see great defenses with multiple guys swarming to the ball carrier and that’s why they can pounce on the balls on the ground. 70% of the time our DB’s are the ones making 1 on 1 tackles because our front 7 got put on their asses.

Our interceptions this year should’ve been much higher. Our DB’s apparently have frying pan hands.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Opposing team penalties would be another I’d look at. I swear you can’t get a holding penalty on offense or defense while playing us. Just is not allowed.

Animal02

Banned
With regard to fumbles.....there are forced fumbles and unforced ones. It seems to me we had very few forced ones.

With regard to intercepts.....I think there might be a bit or correlation between how our offense is performing. When the game is close or the opponent ahead, they do not need to make the risky passes that are more likely to lead to an INT.

I know if and nuts, but we are forgetting that the DL took as major blow due to drop outs. 4 players left with in their 2nd year unexpectedly. That is lost resources on many levels. Tech can't or any other school can absorb a blow like that and expect that not to be your weakest unit. Not to mention a couple of over valued commits. We are just now getting numbers to reasonable level.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that it wasn't a good season, but your statements are not right. We average 307 rushing yards per game. That is pretty on par for most years. In comparison, last year we averaged 258. The year before, 255. 2014 was our best year under CPJ with 342.

Where we couldn't get it done was in passing. All time lows in just able every category. Here's a table I just put together:

View attachment 3151

Tis the season!

Great chart! Once can see what a magical offensive season we had in 2014. It also makes one wonder that if we could have connected on one more pass per game, how that would have impacted our final record.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Eh, reasonable at DT. We are super thin at DE. I have no idea who will be starting opposite Anree, and the backups might legitimately be freshmen next year.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I know if and nuts, but we are forgetting that the DL took as major blow due to drop outs. 4 players left with in their 2nd year unexpectedly. That is lost resources on many levels. Tech can't or any other school can absorb a blow like that and expect that not to be your weakest unit. Not to mention a couple of over valued commits. We are just now getting numbers to reasonable level.

If you give the defense the benefit of the doubt on those sort of things don't forget us being 3 o lineman down and our best offensive player kicked off the team. Can't pick and choose

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Fumbles aren’t fluky. You see good defenses punch the ball out all the time. Sure some are flukes but not all. Also, if there’s only one guy around the ball when a fumble occurs, your chances of recovering aren’t as great. You see great defenses with multiple guys swarming to the ball carrier and that’s why they can pounce on the balls on the ground. 70% of the time our DB’s are the ones making 1 on 1 tackles because our front 7 got put on their asses.

Our interceptions this year should’ve been much higher. Our DB’s apparently have frying pan hands.
Frying pan hands coated with cooking spray...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Great job posters on this Stats thread. Please keep bringing numbers and for goodness sakes don't hint at an issue with coaches or the thread will be swarmed.
Jacket dynasty and gt Joe brew greats stats.

What I noticed is our team looked pretty awesome on offense in first 4 5 games. I think q b passing was about 60% thru 4 games . The totally completions for 4 games equaled totals for rest of year.

I guess we ( including coach) all thought that by end of year the offense guys would get back in gear.

In hind sight getting playing time would have been good for back up qb during last of pitt, unc, wf and i guess duke and uga.