Returning players for 2021-22

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

Moses on the combine list. Jose is not.

Unless I counted wrong that is 15 from the SEC, 11 from the ACC and a grand total of 5 from the mighty BIG10 that we heard so much about last season. That must mean most of their talent was young or maybe the league wasn't near as talented as the media made them out to be.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish we had more verticality, but we are not starved for talent.
We're missing the classic scoring, face-up 4. Still, I'd rather have perimeter talent than size at this level. We went to the championship game in 2004 with Anthony McHenry at the 4 and a Final 4 in 1990 with 6'8" Malcom Mackey and 6'9" Johnny McNeil as our front court.

In terms of probabilities, I think there are enough pieces for a good coach to piece together an effective squad. What are the odds that we can't parse 6 productive guys from this roster? I am interested to see how much monkeying our staff has to do before they hit upon a winning combo. We need to find a core that can carry over the scrappy, cohesive culture.

I am excited about this squad and I think it has a legit shot to register our third consecutive winning season in the ACC (only done one time previously) and have a shot at the NCAAT again. As long as the player development aspect of the program doesn't stall, there if good reason to hope for good things.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We're missing the classic scoring, face-up 4. Still, I'd rather have perimeter talent than size at this level. We went to the championship game in 2004 with Anthony McHenry at the 4 and a Final 4 in 1990 with 6'8" Malcom Mackey and 6'9" Johnny McNeil as our front court.

In terms of probabilities, I think there are enough pieces for a good coach to piece together an effective squad. What are the odds that we can't parse 6 productive guys from this roster? I am interested to see how much monkeying our staff has to do before they hit upon a winning combo. We need to find a core that can carry over the scrappy, cohesive culture.

I am excited about this squad and I think it has a legit shot to register our third consecutive winning season in the ACC (only done one time previously) and have a shot at the NCAAT again. As long as the player development aspect of the program doesn't stall, there if good reason to hope for good things.
Baylor showed what a team deep with very talented good shooting guards who can do. Their big guys were good but not the guys they relied on for scoring. Frankly it's impossible to have too many good shooting guards who also are very good ball handlers.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I share your faith in the team for this coming year. I think Usher and Moore can cover the 4 , but we need to recruit as you say the classic scoring, face-up 4 for following year. Moving a perimeter player to the 4 spot later on may upset team chemistry, particularly if the player would like to play point guard.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What exactly are people talking about when they say a classic face up 4?

Because at this level that is what Usher is, or at least can be for us. If you're idea is a 6-10 post player with guard skills and range out to the three point line then remember we aren't playing in the NBA.

Beyond next year if we have Gigiberia in the game, either alongside Howard or Meka, or especially if we put more of a wing oriented player at the 4 then we achieve the same dynamic as with a face up 4.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Really? The concept of a face-up 4 is hazy to you? Hammonds, Bosh and Forrest are good GT examples. Thaddeus Young would have been a great example had he not played out of position. Robert Carter Jr would have also been a good example. They are players with enough size to defend in the post and compete on the boards but skilled enough to be able to score facing the basket (as opposed to players who are limited to post-up with their backs to the basket), whether that be off the drive or employing a jumper. Range to three is always nice, but not a necessity.