Returning players for 2021-22

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched live on the twitch stream. Overall I thought Jose did well. He played with a couple of guys who in my opinion were playing a bit selfishly. He definitely displayed his superior on ball defense today. Offensively he got himself some good looks, they just didn’t drop today.
I'm gonna assume that Javonte "we made a strong *** offer" Smart was one of those selfish players.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are some NBA Combine invites going public: Maryland G Aaron Wiggins, Ohio State G Duane Washington, and South Carolina G AJ Lawson. Nothing on Jose yet. It looks like Illinois C Kofi Cockburn has an invite, but nothing on Twitter to confirm.

Edit: Add Louisville G Carlik Jones.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
There are some NBA Combine invites going public: Maryland G Aaron Wiggins, Ohio State G Duane Washington, and South Carolina G AJ Lawson. Nothing on Jose yet. It looks like Illinois C Kofi Cockburn has an invite, but nothing on Twitter to confirm.

Edit: Add Louisville G Carlik Jones.
https://twitter.com/draftexpress?s=21 has been posting combine invitations. I haven’t seen Jose or Kofi Cockburn yet.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This does not look good for Jose. All these guys are guards.

This could set up poorly for Jose in that it can be hard to overcome first blush impressions of people. It would be possible that the gravity of his lowered perceived rating will only pull guys down and not help elevate his perceived ability. Meaning when he locks down on another guard it just hurts them, not helps him. This is the problem (IMHO) with most of the NBA undervaluing Defense.

Either way I hope he finds what he is looking for, if ever a dude who came through GT Earner their shot in the pros it is Jose.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
According to the announcers in one of the streams I watched, every player will get feedback from the scouts about what they need to work on. The bottom line is players who don't get moved to the combine and can still go back school should do that.

I am not sure if that applies to Jose's situation. He has a GT degree and may not want to stay in school for a masters degree. The chances of getting a Two Way contract seem pretty remote for him right now, so there's probably not much money in the near term playing professionally. There are probably some serious conversations going on in the Alvarado household today. I have a hard time thinking his draft prospects change much by staying in school.

I bet Jose could make a lot of money coaching some day. He is a natural leader and has the right personality for coaching. Another year at GT as a player before changing #10 for a GT polo shirt might be an option.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
According to the announcers in one of the streams I watched, every player will get feedback from the scouts about what they need to work on. The bottom line is players who don't get moved to the combine and can still go back school should do that.

I am not sure if that applies to Jose's situation. He has a GT degree and may not want to stay in school for a masters degree. The chances of getting a Two Way contract seem pretty remote for him right now, so there's probably not much money in the near term playing professionally. There are probably some serious conversations going on in the Alvarado household today. I have a hard time thinking his draft prospects change much by staying in school.

I bet Jose could make a lot of money coaching some day. He is a natural leader and has the right personality for coaching. Another year at GT as a player before changing #10 for a GT polo shirt might be an option.
I would LOVE to see him take another year as a player here, then go on staff. Could see him playing a similar role to what CTC has done. He may not play in the pros, but having been the DPOY in the ACC and an ACC Champ is no small feat.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck

The chance of a 2 way may come down to what he does in Summer League. I would love to see him get drafted but the best thing about him not getting drafted is that he may get to pick his spot in terms of what team to play for and try to initially stick with.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The chance of a 2 way may come down to what he does in Summer League. I would love to see him get drafted but the best thing about him not getting drafted is that he may get to pick his spot in terms of what team to play for and try to initially stick with.
How are non-roster players picked for Summer League teams and do they get paid?