Report card for Woody's D so far

Deleted member 2897

I am pleased with how the defense has progressed. It IS a work in progress, but the improvement in a couple of areas is evident.
I was hoping for a change in mindset and I can see that. Guys are looking to making a play , and not sitting back waiting for a mistake. Turnovers are happening , and at very important times.
Are we as consistent as we need to be ? Obviously not. But that will come with further coaching and recruiting to the style of play and attitude in the coming years. ASA is one great playmaker and I see others on the depth chart who seem to developing that game changing attitude. Great days are coming , IMO.
What say you ??

Another great game overall for the defense. Gave up 28 points. But 7 was a defensive touchdown directly attributed to our offense.

If they keep giving up 21 or less, that’s really all we need to win a lot of games. It’s basically up to the offense to just keep it between the guardrails at that point.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Another great game overall for the defense. Gave up 28 points. But 7 was a defensive touchdown directly attributed to our offense.

If they keep giving up 21 or less, that’s really all we need to win a lot of games. It’s basically up to the offense to just keep it between the guardrails at that point.
Also put the offense on short fields a couple times

slugboy

Staff member
ILB: D+. Yesterday appeared to be one of their better games but doesn’t make up for the season. A lot of bad mistakes made by this group and don’t have a real feel for the game. Production shows that this group is letting us down

OLB: C. This was bumped up with the emergence of Charlie Thomas. Maybe only behind Carpenter for GT ROY. Johnson has been ok. Inconsistent but makes play on occasion

CB: C-. This is probably the 2nd most frustrating group on the defense. Below avg tacklers when we are giving a cushion and below avg ball skills. Every last one of those deep balls were underthrown and would’ve been a PBU or an INT from most good CBs
This is one of the things about the defense that surprises me. Mostly, it looks like the linebackers are confused. The ILBs call the defense, so they should know the assignments best. I don’t know why they aren’t playing faster by this point. That would solve a lot of problems.

For the CBs, I’m not sure what is youth and what is coaching. We should be getting more INTs and more batted balls and incompletions. We’ve had some good CB groups in the past, but we recruit really well there. I’d expect us to be strong there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
This is one of the things about the defense that surprises me. Mostly, it looks like the linebackers are confused. The ILBs call the defense, so they should know the assignments best. I don’t know why they aren’t playing faster by this point. That would solve a lot of problems.

For the CBs, I’m not sure what is youth and what is coaching. We should be getting more INTs and more batted balls and incompletions. We’ve had some good CB groups in the past, but we recruit really well there. I’d expect us to be strong there.

I guess we sort of agree. I AM NOT pleased enough to say at this point we have a " lights out " D. We do have weaknesses, especially at ILB. BUT, I definitely see PROGRESS . I would tend to grade more on a curve, measuring from where we started , and not strictly objectively. Many of the LBs we have recruited are good at backing up and reading , ala Ted Roof. But now , they are attacking more and also trying to force the play. Some/many times they get fooled. We don't have a lot of potent offensive schemes in practice
( besides the TO ) that we can throw at them, either, just like DBs. Just my 2 cents. We will get there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
DL: A. Constant pressure. Big jump in improvement from ASA and Adams. We as deserve ASA for one more year. KCH and Branch have good as well. STILL HAVE YET TO BE PUSHED AROUND

ILB: D+. Yesterday appeared to be one of their better games but doesn’t make up for the season. A lot of bad mistakes made by this group and don’t have a real feel for the game. Production shows that this group is letting us down

OLB: C. This was bumped up with the emergence of Charlie Thomas. Maybe only behind Carpenter for GT ROY. Johnson has been ok. Inconsistent but makes play on occasion

Safeties: B-. Very steady group. Malik Rivera has been solid all season and Carpenter has been a monster!!! Struggles in man coverage, but possess all the tools and swagger you look for in NFL caliber P5 SS. This is one player Rivals rating was completely wrong on.

CB: C-. This is probably the 2nd most frustrating group on the defense. Below avg tacklers when we are giving a cushion and below avg ball skills. Every last one of those deep balls were underthrown and would’ve been a PBU or an INT from most good CBs

Overall: C+. This is all what GT fans asked for. High risk/ high reward defense and CNW has delivered. Currently 43rd overall in team defense and #10 overall with 23 turnovers created. Still lots of room for improvement but we are headed in the right direction
Dear Recruits, u see the games and see these grades. Our new defense needs players that can make plays. If u are ready day one, u will play. Why go to factory and ride the pine for 2 years. Woody wants u!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am pleased with how the defense has progressed. It IS a work in progress, but the improvement in a couple of areas is evident.
I was hoping for a change in mindset and I can see that. Guys are looking to making a play , and not sitting back waiting for a mistake. Turnovers are happening , and at very important times.
Are we as consistent as we need to be ? Obviously not. But that will come with further coaching and recruiting to the style of play and attitude in the coming years. ASA is one great playmaker and I see others on the depth chart who seem to developing that game changing attitude. Great days are coming , IMO.
What say you ??

Getting better but got a ways to go. Inexperienced in the secondary but we knew that would be a problem. We are giving up about 28 points a game which is not good defense but I have seen worse. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
DL: A. Constant pressure. Big jump in improvement from ASA and Adams. We as deserve ASA for one more year. KCH and Branch have good as well. STILL HAVE YET TO BE PUSHED AROUND

Safeties: B-. Very steady group. Malik Rivera has been solid all season and Carpenter has been a monster!!! Struggles in man coverage, but possess all the tools and swagger you look for in NFL caliber P5 SS. This is one player Rivals rating was completely wrong on.

Overall: C+. This is all what GT fans asked for. High risk/ high reward defense and CNW has delivered. Currently 43rd overall in team defense and #10 overall with 23 turnovers created. Still lots of room for improvement but we are headed in the right direction

Ballin nails it as usual. Inside linebackers are too slow. I am somewhat disappointed in corner play but they are pretty inexperienced I think they will continue to get better. Carpenter is absolutely the biggest surprise. Recruiting services missed him as he has all the tools. One thing we really miss from last year was the open field tackling ability of the Austin twins. Given the youth on defense I see plenty of reason to be optimistic. We badly need to recruit someone to replace ASA. It is really frustrating that as soon as a defensive lineman begins to emerge as a force they graduate. Best defensive line we have had in quite a while not that it means all that much given recent history. Hard to believe we are 43rd overall in defense a testament to Coach Woody's professional competence. After all these years of searching, Coach Johnson finally found his personal Holy Grail of the defensive coordinator of his dreams.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJs comment about position coach and fumbles adds to my wondering about position coaches and LBs and CBs.

@Ibeeballin any insights on potential roles here? Not about our particular coaches but potential of pos coaches being something to think about?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Ballin nails it as usual. Inside linebackers are too slow. I am somewhat disappointed in corner play but they are pretty inexperienced I think they will continue to get better. Carpenter is absolutely the biggest surprise. Recruiting services missed him as he has all the tools. One thing we really miss from last year was the open field tackling ability of the Austin twins. Given the youth on defense I see plenty of reason to be optimistic. We badly need to recruit someone to replace ASA. It is really frustrating that as soon as a defensive lineman begins to emerge as a force they graduate. Best defensive line we have had in quite a while not that it means all that much given recent history. Hard to believe we are 43rd overall in defense a testament to Coach Woody's professional competence. After all these years of searching, Coach Johnson finally found his personal Holy Grail of the defensive coordinator of his dreams.
Agree. And NW is not even through his first full year. Given more practice and coaching to end the regular season , plus possibly extra games at the ACCCG AND a bowl , it should get better and better. Recruits WILL notice !!

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Woody gets an A+ from me simply because because of where we are compared to last year despite the amount of starters that left and then switch to a new system. He isn't going to get those benefits next year from me (except maybe on D-line where we lose a lot and the last regime didn't exactly have a great track record with recruiting), but I think grading on a curve is warranted here. Not trying to disagree with anyone else just stating my opinion.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
CPJs comment about position coach and fumbles adds to my wondering about position coaches and LBs and CBs.

@Ibeeballin any insights on potential roles here? Not about our particular coaches but potential of pos coaches being something to think about?

I haven’t been a fan out CB play since CCK left, so i don’t think Coach Speed is going anywhere and Coach Mac is too valuable as a recruiter for a change there. I don’t think, or at least i don’t believe they are teaching our guys to keep their eyes in the backfield. Not sure if this answer your question, but something is getting lost in translation from practice to game for these 2 positions

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t been a fan out CB play since CCK left, so i don’t think Coach Speed is going anywhere and Coach Mac is too valuable as a recruiter for a change there. I don’t think, or at least i don’t believe they are teaching our guys to keep their eyes in the backfield. Not sure if this answer your question, but something is getting lost in translation from practice to game for these 2 positions

Yeah, it was an unfair question. It's just something I've been wondering about because it seems those two position groups seem to be the most inconsistent, even when guys get looks by nfl teams.

slugboy

Staff member

So Shiel Wood is coaching safeties (and they’re great this year). Nate Woody doesn’t have a position. I thought Roof had LBs last year. Any reason Nate Woody wouldn’t get hands on with the LBs the way CPJ did with QBs?