Report card for Woody's D so far

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I am pleased with how the defense has progressed. It IS a work in progress, but the improvement in a couple of areas is evident.
I was hoping for a change in mindset and I can see that. Guys are looking to making a play , and not sitting back waiting for a mistake. Turnovers are happening , and at very important times.
Are we as consistent as we need to be ? Obviously not. But that will come with further coaching and recruiting to the style of play and attitude in the coming years. ASA is one great playmaker and I see others on the depth chart who seem to developing that game changing attitude. Great days are coming , IMO.
What say you ??

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
There are pieces for DL next year. Adams is a mfer in the run game. TK will be coming off his redshirt year. Owens can do some things. They'll all have a year of experience that the current group did not. I think it'll be a push. With vastly improved secondary play and lbs with experience, I'm not worried.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We aren't forcing fumbles. Better at interceptions. Give him some time to recruit. We are better this year when we blitz. MLB's are not making as many tackles this year in this scheme. Could be a need for speed in his D for that position. Overall I think we are better but still not great. Secondary is improving and young which is encouraging.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
DL: A. Constant pressure. Big jump in improvement from ASA and Adams. We as deserve ASA for one more year. KCH and Branch have good as well. STILL HAVE YET TO BE PUSHED AROUND

ILB: D+. Yesterday appeared to be one of their better games but doesn’t make up for the season. A lot of bad mistakes made by this group and don’t have a real feel for the game. Production shows that this group is letting us down

OLB: C. This was bumped up with the emergence of Charlie Thomas. Maybe only behind Carpenter for GT ROY. Johnson has been ok. Inconsistent but makes play on occasion

Safeties: B-. Very steady group. Malik Rivera has been solid all season and Carpenter has been a monster!!! Struggles in man coverage, but possess all the tools and swagger you look for in NFL caliber P5 SS. This is one player Rivals rating was completely wrong on.

CB: C-. This is probably the 2nd most frustrating group on the defense. Below avg tacklers when we are giving a cushion and below avg ball skills. Every last one of those deep balls were underthrown and would’ve been a PBU or an INT from most good CBs

Overall: C+. This is all what GT fans asked for. High risk/ high reward defense and CNW has delivered. Currently 43rd overall in team defense and #10 overall with 23 turnovers created. Still lots of room for improvement but we are headed in the right direction

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
better. Watch the tape. Alot of guys in right spots due to scheme and good playcalls just gotta make the play. I expected improvement through the year and we see it. Young dbs. Look at the falcons drop without their returners in secondary injured or at lb. same with VT. It happens with youth. Just hope next year front 7 replacements are ok. Yet. With that you can see the d grow and improve. So for me its the right trend. Not where we want to be. But can see a path there.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
DL: A. Constant pressure. Big jump in improvement from ASA and Adams. We as deserve ASA for one more year. KCH and Branch have good as well. STILL HAVE YET TO BE PUSHED AROUND

ILB: D+. Yesterday appeared to be one of their better games but doesn’t make up for the season. A lot of bad mistakes made by this group and don’t have a real feel for the game. Production shows that this group is letting us down

OLB: C. This was bumped up with the emergence of Charlie Thomas. Maybe only behind Carpenter for GT ROY. Johnson has been ok. Inconsistent but makes play on occasion

Safeties: B-. Very steady group. Malik Rivera has been solid all season and Carpenter has been a monster!!! Struggles in man coverage, but possess all the tools and swagger you look for in NFL caliber P5 SS. This is one player Rivals rating was completely wrong on.

CB: C-. This is probably the 2nd most frustrating group on the defense. Below avg tacklers when we are giving a cushion and below avg ball skills. Every last one of those deep balls were underthrown and would’ve been a PBU or an INT from most good CBs

Overall: C+. This is all what GT fans asked for. High risk/ high reward defense and CNW has delivered. Currently 43rd overall in team defense and #10 overall with 23 turnovers created. Still lots of room for improvement but we are headed in the right direction

If someone had told me at the beginning of the year that the D would be in the top 50 and trending upward I would have simply smiled and said thank you. My eyes tell me that CNW scheme and teaching are taking hold as the season goes along and I can't see it doing anything but improving!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There are pieces for DL next year. Adams is a mfer in the run game. TK will be coming off his redshirt year. Owens can do some things. They'll all have a year of experience that the current group did not. I think it'll be a push. With vastly improved secondary play and lbs with experience, I'm not worried.

The main guy i’m worried about replacing is St. Amour, i’m not sure who’s gonna step up to replace that cat

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Great overall analysis by @Ibeeballin. And compleoagtee with @UgaBlows. We are really gonna miss ASA. He has been a huge part of the successes we have had on D. Yuge!

Really liking CNW. Gonna be great in the long term if we can keep him. I’m not convinced next year will be vastly improved however.

We lose our biggest play maker as well as other guys in our best position group. This could also impact the play of Thomas at OLB if we take a step back along the front. Who does this and improves the next year? Let’s see how even Clemson does in this regard next year.

On top of losing important pieces up front, we have big question marks at ILB. Safeties I feel good about. Corners have potential but they have to show it. Charlotte next year is again no certainty, not by a long shot.