Report card for Woody's D so far

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Compared to Roof's "statues" defense , it is an definite upgrade.Last yr we probably would have lost that game, but we evened out the TOs. There are some guys that are just not very good (esp in a new def) but as mentioned the surprises are are sweet esp--Carp and ASAmour.While Rivera is the steadying influence we hoped for..-- Next yr is going to be a problem with all DL being Srs but worry about that later.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't think we would be able to replace Joe Anoi, or Gerris Wilkerson, or Vance Walker, or Darryl Richard, or Michael Johnson, or Derrick Morgan, or Jeremiah Attaochu, or Adam Gotsis.

On another note, I like the fact we already have 23 turnovers by the defense as compared to "10" all of last year. The defense is better than I anticipated and will continue to improve under Coach Woody. I like his style of attacking.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I like that it appears we're getting better as the season goes on. The light came on for ASA, and he's been a monster since. He's someone who needs to be accounted for on every play.

I really like where we're going to be in the defensive backfield over the next few years. At S, we've got Tariq, Juanyeh, and Kaleb who will all be solid. We've got a lot of young corners who will likely only get better with experience.

I'm really hoping we pull a few ILB with the last few slots we've got. Quez likely will be good for us, but it appears we're thin here. Maybe someone will make a jump?

Charlie Thomas is going to be a good player for us. I'd still like to see more production from the OLB position.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I didn't think we would be able to replace Joe Anoi, or Gerris Wilkerson, or Vance Walker, or Darryl Richard, or Michael Johnson, or Derrick Morgan, or Jeremiah Attaochu, or Adam Gotsis.

On another note, I like the fact we already have 23 turnovers by the defense as compared to "10" all of last year. The defense is better than I anticipated and will continue to improve under Coach Woody. I like his style of attacking.
My point exactly !!(y)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Defense is a work in progress, but one thing you have to give CNW credit for is this: He's giving our offense extra possessions. In theory, you give CPJ extra possessions with our offense and it's a killer for the other team.

We're REALLY seeing that the last few games. As efficient as the offense has been, it just puts a lot of pressure on the other coach to get out of their game plan.

Now we have to work on not giving up the big plays, and get more sound on staying in our gaps and coverage fundamentals on the back end. I think those things will come with experience, but in the mean time we're giving our offense the chance to control tempo.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
We must’ve been running a different O when the Jemea Thomas’ and DJ Whites of the world were here....or just maybe they were being coached up better

Defense wasn’t blowing doors then either.

If I were an opposing defense and see man coverage. I’m going straight at either corner.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ballin nails it as usual. Inside linebackers are too slow. I am somewhat disappointed in corner play but they are pretty inexperienced I think they will continue to get better. Carpenter is absolutely the biggest surprise. Recruiting services missed him as he has all the tools. One thing we really miss from last year was the open field tackling ability of the Austin twins. Given the youth on defense I see plenty of reason to be optimistic. We badly need to recruit someone to replace ASA. It is really frustrating that as soon as a defensive lineman begins to emerge as a force they graduate. Best defensive line we have had in quite a while not that it means all that much given recent history. Hard to believe we are 43rd overall in defense a testament to Coach Woody's professional competence. After all these years of searching, Coach Johnson finally found his personal Holy Grail of the defensive coordinator of his dreams.

We are about to face some offenses with potential to put big numbers up on us. But I agree with your assessment of CNW.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

If I were an opposing defense and see man coverage. I’m going straight at either corner.

I have a bad feeling we will get a lot of this soon.

At this point...even if we give up the TD..just turn your head and try to find the ball. Even if they miss it by a mile I’ll give them a pass for trying.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I have a bad feeling we will get a lot of this soon.

At this point...even if we give up the TD..just turn your head and try to find the ball. Even if they miss it by a mile I’ll give them a pass for trying.

You don’t ALWAYS play it this way. If you are beat, and just doing your best to catch up and break it up, you’d usually play the man and react to his arms.

If you’re in good position running with him, then, yes, try to find the ball.

Watch CBs in the pros. They don’t always get their head around either.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

Your initial post didn't say anything about the defense, as a whole, just about our CBs and you implied because we don't throw the ball much, that's why our CBs struggle. We've had some really good CBs and DBs during PJ's tenure. Our DB play hasn't been the same since Charles Kelly left. The system we run on O isn't the sole reason for all of this team's struggles.