Replay Study: GT Offense vs VAndy Defense

My understanding is that for OOC games, the convention is that refs are either neutral or from the visitor's conference. The dwags, however, always stipulate that their home games against non-conference opponents must have SEC refs. If you don't agree to it, they won't schedule you. It's kinda-sorta like when you were a kid, and the neighborhood brat who owned the only football always insisted that he had to play quarterback, or he'd take his ball home and sulk.
Well, that really sucks. We did, however, have ACC refs in Atlanta last year for the mutt game, didn't we? I'm pretty sure that it used to be ACC refs in Athens and SEC refs in Atlanta. Wonder why that wasn't good enough for the mutts.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
My understanding is that for OOC games, the convention is that refs are either neutral or from the visitor's conference. The dwags, however, always stipulate that their home games against non-conference opponents must have SEC refs. If you don't agree to it, they won't schedule you. It's kinda-sorta like when you were a kid, and the neighborhood brat who owned the only football always insisted that he had to play quarterback, or he'd take his ball home and sulk.

If that's the case with uGa, then it's a recent stipulation. We have only been doing home team gets home conference officials with them for less than ten years. I know Ron Cherry officiated the '98 game in Athens and Al Ford's SEC crew officiated at Bobby Dodd in '99 for the Stanks fumble. IIRC, the change up happened somewhere between 2007 and 2009, because Jack Childress's ACC crew did the 2006 game up in Athens. I was unaware the dwags were the ones who initiated the change, but I'm not surprised.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
If that's the case with uGa, then it's a recent stipulation. We have only been doing home team gets home conference officials with them for less than ten years. I know Ron Cherry officiated the '98 game in Athens and Al Ford's SEC crew officiated at Bobby Dodd in '99 for the Stanks fumble. IIRC, the change up happened somewhere between 2007 and 2009, because Jack Childress's ACC crew did the 2006 game up in Athens. I was unaware the dwags were the ones who initiated the change, but I'm not surprised.
You are correct that it is a recent thing; I guess I should have been more clear about that. When I used the word "always", I meant that ever since they started doing so, it's been a hard rule. No one plays in Athens without SEC refs, any more.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I had to laugh at that series where we threw the pick in the EZ late. I guess I can laugh now. We had a ton of inexperience playing in front of Jordan. If I didn't know better, on the second run I believe, we ran three separate plays in one. Everybody was just doing their own thing. Trying to describe it would not do justice. I have no idea what looked good enough for MJ to throw that short fade. There were four guys in the corner and only one had a white shirt. Oh well. The game was in the bank at that time.

I think that series is what CPJ referred to in the post game interview as the worst play execution he has seen in his coaching career.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that series is what CPJ referred to in the post game interview as the worst play execution he has seen in his coaching career.

if he was, he was bashing himself. He told MJ to take one step and throw it to the corner.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I had to laugh at that series where we threw the pick in the EZ late. I guess I can laugh now. We had a ton of inexperience playing in front of Jordan. If I didn't know better, on the second run I believe, we ran three separate plays in one. Everybody was just doing their own thing. Trying to describe it would not do justice. I have no idea what looked good enough for MJ to throw that short fade. There were four guys in the corner and only one had a white shirt. Oh well. The game was in the bank at that time.

CPJ said STTE that it was the worst display of football in the history of earth. Said if those guys claim they want to play, they need to know the plays. Was really disappointed.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks Boomer - I have not watched replay as you have but I know Braun played well because I watched him some. One block down near the goal line he absolutely took out a Vandy safety. He seems to enjoy pulling as well. I think Devine or Bryan will got to 2nd team at some point this year. I also noticed the Aback blocking particularly #28 was pretty dismal. I did not realize though that we keep letting someone from the box just run through because of obvious missed assignments. We did that a lot against BC. We should only be optioning 1 unblocked guys not 2 or even 3. On a positive note, JT decision making and running past #41 were amazing. Hope he can keep it up.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks Boomer - I have not watched replay as you have but I know Braun played well because I watched him some. One block down near the goal line he absolutely took out a Vandy safety. He seems to enjoy pulling as well. I think Devine or Bryan will got to 2nd team at some point this year. I also noticed the Aback blocking particularly #28 was pretty dismal. I did not realize though that we keep letting someone from the box just run through because of obvious missed assignments. We did that a lot against BC. We should only be optioning 1 unblocked guys not 2 or even 3. On a positive note, JT decision making and running past #41 were amazing. Hope he can keep it up.
If we are running triple, then we leave two guys by design every play unblocked. They would be the give read and the pitch read. The problems come when you make bad reads or leave the wrong guys unblocked.