Replay Study: GT Offense vs VAndy Defense

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I finally finished the replay and I have about 1/2 an hour before it's time to head to West Midtown. I might have to do this in two installments. Bottom line is that this was a good win for us and Vandy provided about what we needed for an opponent at this stage. Sadly, there is still a lot of stuff to clean up and only a short week to do it in.

To be truthful, I am not that impressed with Vandy as a defense. For an SEC opponent, they don't offer a lot in terms of wild athleticsm and depth of talent. They have a couple guys on the interior who are fairly physical, but nothing special and one guy behind them (#41), who you can say is a high level athlete. He is crazy all over the place, but he can run and he is large and agile. Their defense reminds me of Pitt's in terms of foot speed, but without the upper echelon disrupters in the center of the DL. I thought I heard somebody say #52 almost came to GT. Well, be glad he didn't. I wasn't impressed with him at all. He was slow footed and a day late and a dollar short most of the time. He looks good in a uniform, but that is about it. So, we did about what we should have to this group, but I really think we can and should have played better. We had some individuals make some really good plays, but the cohesion of the working offense remains a project. There still too many whiffed blocks against lesser athletes than Clemson will be throwing at us, mostly caused by late recognition on our guys moving into space. We still have occasions where I am not sure everybody is running the same play, or running the right track. We did stuff like run called dives right into an unblocked LB when both OLs ran to the outside. Either one of them missed the call or the BB ran the wrong track. We let a couple guys through on passpro just not paying attention. Stuff like that unnerves me at this point in the season. Skill position players are still slow to take up the blocking thing. If we don't do better soon, things are going to get ugly. I would say we are about 50% when it comes to making me happy in this aspect on a given play. Everybody is taking turns disappointing and nobody is immune.

I guess I will save the individual reports for when I return from the show.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Well, I finally finished the replay and I have about 1/2 an hour before it's time to head to West Midtown. I might have to do this in two installments. Bottom line is that this was a good win for us and Vandy provided about what we needed for an opponent at this stage. Sadly, there is still a lot of stuff to clean up and only a short week to do it in.

To be truthful, I am not that impressed with Vandy as a defense. For an SEC opponent, they don't offer a lot in terms of wild athleticsm and depth of talent. They have a couple guys on the interior who are fairly physical, but nothing special and one guy behind them (#41), who you can say is a high level athlete. He is crazy all over the place, but he can run and he is large and agile. Their defense reminds me of Pitt's in terms of foot speed, but without the upper echelon disrupters in the center of the DL. I thought I heard somebody say #52 almost came to GT. Well, be glad he didn't. I wasn't impressed with him at all. He was slow footed and a day late and a dollar short most of the time. He looks good in a uniform, but that is about it. So, we did about what we should have to this group, but I really think we can and should have played better. We had some individuals make some really good plays, but the cohesion of the working offense remains a project. There still too many whiffed blocks against lesser athletes than Clemson will be throwing at us, mostly caused by late recognition on our guys moving into space. We still have occasions where I am not sure everybody is running the same play, or running the right track. We did stuff like run called dives right into an unblocked LB when both OLs ran to the outside. Either one of them missed the call or the BB ran the wrong track. We let a couple guys through on passpro just not paying attention. Stuff like that unnerves me at this point in the season. Skill position players are still slow to take up the blocking thing. If we don't do better soon, things are going to get ugly. I would say we are about 50% when it comes to making me happy in this aspect on a given play. Everybody is taking turns disappointing and nobody is immune.

I guess I will save the individual reports for when I return from the show.
Thank you, but disappointing on what you found so far!!

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
You wanna know why #41 was making tackles everywhere?

He was at the top of the double stack when they went double stack.

PJ better get that figured out fast. Or, if he's figured it out (which I'm sure he has) it better get translated to our guys, pronto.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Wow 52 was 2014 SEC Coaches' Freshman All-SEC
Their defense was top 25 last year as a whole.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The offensive line got to play a lot of guys, which is good for a ton of reasons. Building depth is great, but so is resting guys ahead of a short week playing a ranked opponent. Parker Braun got to play a lot more snaps Saturday. If I were to guess, combined, spelling both Shamire and Will, I would say he played half the snaps. It was good to see him for more than just a few plays. I have to say, I am impressed. I really really have a good feeling about him. He is a different player than Shaq, but he is just as impactful as a frosh. I feel certain he will be a better player than his brother, if he isn't already. I don't aim to fire up a sibling rivalry, but that is how I see it. Parker is a really good athlete all around. He is fast and powerful, seemingly able to do everything we ask of offensive guards. If I were a broker, I would be buying some Braun stock. I got to see Lee some too, but I will wait to comment until he has some more time. Burden played well. Overall I would say the line played fairly well, but the mistakes and whiffs at the second level continue to be a problem. Most of the stuffs by their defense were just a run past our guy who was there to block but just didn't.

Among the ABs, I would say Lynch played his best game ever as a Yellow Jacket, and I am not just looking at the yards. Saturday, he made value added type plays where he turned a little into a lot and nothing into something. That is what I have been critical about him in the past. He made a one handed grab on a pass that could very easily been an incompletion and he defeated some spirited tackle attempts to turn 10 yard plays into much more. Good for him. The long TD reception might have been his least impressive play of the day. That is saying something. Overall, I remain concerned about the blocking from this group. There is both confusion at times and ineffectiveness even when decisive. JJ Green is great with the ball in his hands, but he hasn't yet developed a feel for blocking at this position. Ike knows where to go and is probably the most dependable in terms of blocking, but we need more explosiveness running and receiving.

At BB, Mills is really making his mark. He never broke free, but some of those short gains were as good a run as you will ever see. That TD where he single handedly got low and pushed 4 VAndy defenders over the goal line with sheer determination and drive was special. If you weren't really looking you would have missed how impressive it was. His run to the pylon in the south EZ was instinctive as he read the defense well and smoothly. He blocked well in pass pro, showing a lot of toughness. I am not sure what was going on with the mesh, but it looked like he was trying to steal the ball from JT on obvious pull reads. They have to work on that. MM showed his explosiveness with that long reception. He is a weapon.

At WR, I am not sure what is going on. I miss Smelter's fearsome crack blocks. He would destroy people. It is missing right now. Stewart looks so passive to me blocking. I really want to light a fire in him to get him going. IMHO MLD has really taken to the blocking part of the position. He hasn't gotten a ton of snaps, so endorsing him as starter might be a bit premature, but I appreciate his proclivity to hit people. He is physical and we need that badly.

Once again JT saved our bacon with some amazing drive extending scrambles. He really breaks the defense's back with those. You know it is disheartening to have that happen to you continually on third down. He played a really good game in my opinion. He could have put some of those botched meshs on the ground but fought for control of the ball. He is not forcing anything right now and his maturity as a game manager is showing.

We were successful Saturday because we had some great individual performances against a team that we were better than. We "made plays" far more than we "executed consistently" if you ask me. We will need to do both Thursday if we are going to have a chance.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I had to laugh at that series where we threw the pick in the EZ late. I guess I can laugh now. We had a ton of inexperience playing in front of Jordan. If I didn't know better, on the second run I believe, we ran three separate plays in one. Everybody was just doing their own thing. Trying to describe it would not do justice. I have no idea what looked good enough for MJ to throw that short fade. There were four guys in the corner and only one had a white shirt. Oh well. The game was in the bank at that time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I had to laugh at that series where we threw the pick in the EZ late. I guess I can laugh now. We had a ton of inexperience playing in front of Jordan. If I didn't know better, on the second run I believe, we ran three separate plays in one. Everybody was just doing their own thing. Trying to describe it would not do justice. I have no idea what looked good enough for MJ to throw that short fade. There were four guys in the corner and only one had a white shirt. Oh well. The game was in the bank at that time.
He'll learn from it and it cost us nothing. win, win.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Boomer - I appreciate you input and enjoy your analysis. However, I'm a little surprised by the negativity.

I believe with the exception of the back half of 2014 (where we "did some good things" :)), this is the best offensive performance in 3 seasons. We're already better than any point in 2013 or 2015.

We need to keep getting better, but this offense has the potential to be among CPJ's best.

/

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The best offensive execution performance was the Orange Bowl.

The team still has issues getting the MLB and the safety. Passing has really helped. Look at the first drive after half time. The team was off schedule most of the drive. The 2nd drive in the second half looked better.

If Clemson has to use the LB to stop the dive we will be good. If not, we will have a long night.

This team has serious potential... There is no defense if we have that 4th option... Passing.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Bc that's the play. One step and throw to the corner. WR turned the wrong way.
MJ did exactly what CPJ told him to do.

Since there's no other thread to post this question on, I will post it here. Does anyone know if the refs last Saturday were ACC or SEC? I know 2, maybe 3, years ago, the refs in the Tech-mutt game were from the conference of the home team. Is that only for that game or for all inter-conference games? Those refs in Athens in 2014 (SEC refs) were the worst ever.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Since there's no other thread to post this question on, I will post it here. Does anyone know if the refs last Saturday were ACC or SEC? I know 2, maybe 3, years ago, the refs in the Tech-mutt game were from the conference of the home team. Is that only for that game or for all inter-conference games? Those refs in Athens in 2014 (SEC refs) were the worst ever.
sec

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I said it pregame. Vandy is a 50-60 ranked d and we would roll em. It doesnt take but watching 2 quarters of tape vs carolina to see how bad they are and usce is too.

However. I dont agree i am glad 52 didnt come to tech. Alot of lb facing our O for the first time look frozen. Our lb core is need for lb depth. I get you think we wont miss him. Ok thats fair maybe. But we need lb talent and he is top 4 day one here imo.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
At WR, I am not sure what is going on. I miss Smelter's fearsome crack blocks. He would destroy people. It is missing right now. Stewart looks so passive to me blocking. I really want to light a fire in him to get him going. IMHO MLD has really taken to the blocking part of the position. He hasn't gotten a ton of snaps, so endorsing him as starter might be a bit premature, but I appreciate his proclivity to hit people. He is physical and we need that badly.

Stewart had a pretty bad day; his body language said that he agreed. He didn't make good decisions on punts, missed blocks on the outside, got called for the holding penalty on the CB. We have pretty good hands catching balls, they just need to do better blocking.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Why were they SEC? Does that mean we will have ACC refs in Athens? We sure didn't in 2014
My understanding is that for OOC games, the convention is that refs are either neutral or from the visitor's conference. The dwags, however, always stipulate that their home games against non-conference opponents must have SEC refs. If you don't agree to it, they won't schedule you. It's kinda-sorta like when you were a kid, and the neighborhood brat who owned the only football always insisted that he had to play quarterback, or he'd take his ball home and sulk.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The offensive line got to play a lot of guys, which is good for a ton of reasons. Building depth is great, but so is resting guys ahead of a short week playing a ranked opponent. Parker Braun got to play a lot more snaps Saturday. If I were to guess, combined, spelling both Shamire and Will, I would say he played half the snaps. It was good to see him for more than just a few plays. I have to say, I am impressed. I really really have a good feeling about him. He is a different player than Shaq, but he is just as impactful as a frosh. I feel certain he will be a better player than his brother, if he isn't already. I don't aim to fire up a sibling rivalry, but that is how I see it. Parker is a really good athlete all around. He is fast and powerful, seemingly able to do everything we ask of offensive guards. If I were a broker, I would be buying some Braun stock. I got to see Lee some too, but I will wait to comment until he has some more time. Burden played well. Overall I would say the line played fairly well, but the mistakes and whiffs at the second level continue to be a problem. Most of the stuffs by their defense were just a run past our guy who was there to block but just didn't.

Among the ABs, I would say Lynch played his best game ever as a Yellow Jacket, and I am not just looking at the yards. Saturday, he made value added type plays where he turned a little into a lot and nothing into something. That is what I have been critical about him in the past. He made a one handed grab on a pass that could very easily been an incompletion and he defeated some spirited tackle attempts to turn 10 yard plays into much more. Good for him. The long TD reception might have been his least impressive play of the day. That is saying something. Overall, I remain concerned about the blocking from this group. There is both confusion at times and ineffectiveness even when decisive. JJ Green is great with the ball in his hands, but he hasn't yet developed a feel for blocking at this position. Ike knows where to go and is probably the most dependable in terms of blocking, but we need more explosiveness running and receiving.

At BB, Mills is really making his mark. He never broke free, but some of those short gains were as good a run as you will ever see. That TD where he single handedly got low and pushed 4 VAndy defenders over the goal line with sheer determination and drive was special. If you weren't really looking you would have missed how impressive it was. His run to the pylon in the south EZ was instinctive as he read the defense well and smoothly. He blocked well in pass pro, showing a lot of toughness. I am not sure what was going on with the mesh, but it looked like he was trying to steal the ball from JT on obvious pull reads. They have to work on that. MM showed his explosiveness with that long reception. He is a weapon.

Once again JT saved our bacon with some amazing drive extending scrambles. He really breaks the defense's back with those. You know it is disheartening to have that happen to you continually on third down. He played a really good game in my opinion. He could have put some of those botched meshs on the ground but fought for control of the ball. He is not forcing anything right now and his maturity as a game manager is showing.

We were successful Saturday because we had some great individual performances against a team that we were better than. We "made plays" far more than we "executed consistently" if you ask me. We will need to do both Thursday if we are going to have a chance.

Basically I agree.Even plays that were successful could have been even better.The WR and Aback blocking is erratic.(I love Qua but he literally bounced off the DB on one block)-and the interior blocking is still struggling..The fact is again we didn't exactly rip the Def with our inside game compared to outside.clem has a 325 lb DT,who is going to move him?
JT was easily the star of this game.That late pitch to JJ was a beauty and really wonder about JJs speed-he should have gotten more on that play..Without JT (say with Jordan) this would have been a different game. I'm not sure that we shouldn't pass more vs clem to burn the DBs cheating up.