Replacing Seniors and vacated spots

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
We watch our kids for 4-5 years and longer if you include scouting videos etc. We tend to value our talent more because of this. I have really been concerned thinking about having to replace all of the seniors that we have lost. When you look at it from a different prospective it changes a little bit. According to CBSSPORTS, the below is what we are losing…

Jeremiah Attaochu is the 118 ranked player coming out and 11th at his position 3-4 rd projection

Jemea Thomas is the 306 ranked player coming out and 36th at his position & 7-FA rd projection

Brandon Watts is the 539 ranked player coming out and 44th at his position & FA projection

Louis Young is the 546 ranked player coming out and 59th at his position & FA projection

Emanuael Dieke is the 570 ranked player coming out and 44th at his position & FA projection

Will Jackson is the 619 ranked player coming out and 33rd at his position & FA projection

Jay Finch is the 802 ranked player coming out and 29th at his position & FA projection

David Sims is the 852 ranked player coming out and 24th at his position & FA projection

Attaochu will be very difficult to replace. I’m guessing that Anthony Williams is going to be the guy to try. IDK if the staff has considered moving JHD to DE. (Not Likely). Personally, I think JHD would be a good rush end. He is about the same size as Jeremiah and is quick.

Jemea Thomas was one of my all-time favorite players. He brought everything he had every time he strapped on his helmet. I think that DJ White and Dominique Noble played well when they got the chance. With Isaiah coming back, Jamal Golden coming back along with Chris Milton, We shouldn’t lose anything in the secondary. We could actually be better there.

Brandon Watts… He will be very difficult to replace. We will be getting Anthony Harold back and Beau Hankins looks to be a good option this year. He plays with a mean streak. Also Paul Davis. I really like him.

Louis Young…. He won’t be nearly as difficult to replace as Jamea in my opinion.

Emanuel Dieke… Guessing Chungong is leading candidate. Shouldn’t be much of a drop off here. I expected a lot more from Dieke than he produced.

Will Jackson and Jay Finch… Loved both of these guys as they were solid, but I don’t think our OL can get worse than this year. Freddie Burden, should be healthy plus adding Shamire and getting Errin Joe and maybe Morgan Bailey back, we should improve here.

David Sims…. He is built like a rock. Don’t think we have anyone as physical to replace him. I think by the 2nd or 3rd game Custis will be the starter and we will be better here. Zack is pretty good here as well. Needs more bulk and better blocking.

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
We watch our kids for 4-5 years and longer if you include scouting videos etc. We tend to value our talent more because of this. I have really been concerned thinking about having to replace all of the seniors that we have lost. When you look at it from a different prospective it changes a little bit. According to CBSSPORTS, the below is what we are losing…

Jeremiah Attaochu is the 118 ranked player coming out and 11th at his position 3-4 rd projection

Jemea Thomas is the 306 ranked player coming out and 36th at his position & 7-FA rd projection

Brandon Watts is the 539 ranked player coming out and 44th at his position & FA projection

Louis Young is the 546 ranked player coming out and 59th at his position & FA projection

Emanuael Dieke is the 570 ranked player coming out and 44th at his position & FA projection

Will Jackson is the 619 ranked player coming out and 33rd at his position & FA projection

Jay Finch is the 802 ranked player coming out and 29th at his position & FA projection

David Sims is the 852 ranked player coming out and 24th at his position & FA projection

Attaochu will be very difficult to replace. I’m guessing that Anthony Williams is going to be the guy to try. IDK if the staff has considered moving JHD to DE. (Not Likely). Personally, I think JHD would be a good rush end. He is about the same size as Jeremiah and is quick.

Jemea Thomas was one of my all-time favorite players. He brought everything he had every time he strapped on his helmet. I think that DJ White and Dominique Noble played well when they got the chance. With Isaiah coming back, Jamal Golden coming back along with Chris Milton, We shouldn’t lose anything in the secondary. We could actually be better there.

Brandon Watts… He will be very difficult to replace. We will be getting Anthony Harold back and Beau Hankins looks to be a good option this year. He plays with a mean streak. Also Paul Davis. I really like him.

Louis Young…. He won’t be nearly as difficult to replace as Jamea in my opinion.

Emanuel Dieke… Guessing Chungong is leading candidate. Shouldn’t be much of a drop off here. I expected a lot more from Dieke than he produced.

Will Jackson and Jay Finch… Loved both of these guys as they were solid, but I don’t think our OL can get worse than this year. Freddie Burden, should be healthy plus adding Shamire and getting Errin Joe and maybe Morgan Bailey back, we should improve here.

David Sims…. He is built like a rock. Don’t think we have anyone as physical to replace him. I think by the 2nd or 3rd game Custis will be the starter and we will be better here. Zack is pretty good here as well. Needs more bulk and better blocking.

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
Good synopsis and am encouraged by what the numbers are saying - i.e., outside of JA, we aren't losing much. Big factor on defense has to be the upgrade in coaching I believe we saw this year. I think this will only get better as the system is coached for another season. Think the defensive backfield will actually improve by more experience- Noble&White, return of Johnson and Golden, more competition for playing time from Milton and the twins and the absence of Louis Young. Sure hope our DB's play tighter next year potentially disrupting more of the quick short passes that hurt us last year. Given time to recruit, Roof will bring the players and then coach them up.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with you on replacing Godhigh. He isn't even listed in the CBSSports draft list. I would assume if he is going to give the NFL a try he will have to do it via free agency. When you look at our ABacks, they are not a very dynamic group of backs. In my opinion, if Dennis Andrews can get the blocking down, he is our best back with the best chance of making the big play. We need to find a way to get the ball in his hands. He looked like our best back in the spring and i thought he would get a lot more touches. Not sure what happened there. He took his only kickoff return back to the 50 in the MCB. I really like him.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good synopsis and am encouraged by what the numbers are saying - i.e., outside of JA, we aren't losing much.

I have mixed feelings about this. The rankings are for pro FB and I don't think guys like Joe Ham, Robert Lavette, Jerry Mays, etc. would have been ranked high on a list like that. I also think, these guys mentioned were starting for the most part - meaning the coaches felt like they were better options than the guy(s) behind them. Jemea, Godhigh, Attachou were very productive college level players regardless of where the pro scouts have them ranked and will be missed.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Look for Kevin Robbins to replace Jeremiah.

I am hopeful that we will get Whitehead to come to GT and replace him...He would be a great replacement IMO.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The only immediate chance for improvement in an individual position to me is CB with replacing L Young.I've very few times seen a Sr disintegrate like him.hopefully e can do better.

Maybe by end of yr,replacements may be ok but originally a problem which has me worried esp on DEF.We were like 25th in rush def which will be hard to beat.

also-Young O-linemen usually have a hard time(see Chamberlain) and we've got a bunch playing next yr

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Many NFL teams would do better with Jemea and Jeremiah.

Jay Finch will be missed more than people think. That kid played hard and was a beast for us in the middle. He did not get a lot of credit, but I think he had the heart of Godhigh with a little more physical size. He did not get pushed around by any NT we faced this year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am surprised Jay Finch was ranked that low. On film he was consistently good. He flat out owned some DTs this season. I think he will surprise some NFL team who brings him to camp.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Jay played hurt all year. He is a tough guy but needs more size to play in the league. He might get a look as a free agent and he might just make it. He has the entire off season to heal up and get bigger.

Matt E

GT Athlete
I think Watts departure will hurt more than most think. He was one of the faster players on the team and was very good in space, both tackling and coverage. It appeared to me that he was an excellent all around player.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think Watts departure will hurt more than most think. He was one of the faster players on the team and was very good in space, both tackling and coverage. It appeared to me that he was an excellent all around player.

granted,he was a good looking athlete but, like our other LB's, seemed to make very few disruptive plays (i.e. TFL, forced fumbles, etc.) It's an area of concern I have had about our LB's for some time.

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan

Matt E. - we're you number #59 from Rex?