Remainder of 2018 season

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
VT is quite beatable. They barely beat UNC and lost to James Madison.

I agree that they are beatable but I don’t think we match up well with them. I hope I’m wrong but I think they’ll shut down our run and we don’t have answer for that.

I made the trip to Blacksburg in 2016 and I thought we were going to get creamed. VT was ranked and we were using our backup QB and, I think, three backup offensive linemen. That game turned out to be a very pleasant surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
GT has to learn to market it's brand. Even if it means paying to have some famous musicians to wear our new Adidas gear. It's a worthy endorsement. I'll never understand our complete and total lack of marketing.
I mean it’s really looked at as a nerdy school. Most Michigan St or Michigan I watch games with say to me “You’re student section looks like it would rather be playing Pokémon than be st the gane. And I’m a way I have to agree. Now I know most of our students do care but that “We can do that” commercial didn’t help.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I went to a UT game a few weeks ago. No canned music ... it was the band, the band, the band. Great videos on the Jumbotron. It feels like GT is copying the Braves to create a phony atmosphere. Soon, we'll have Hat Day.
Actually Tennessee plays ALOT of music at the games

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I mean it’s really looked at as a nerdy school. Most Michigan St or Michigan I watch games with say to me “You’re student section looks like it would rather be playing Pokémon than be st the gane. And I’m a way I have to agree. Now I know most of our students do care but that “We can do that” commercial didn’t help.

I mean... I agree... We don't really have many of the meat heads in the stands. We do look rather nerdy. The selection of students look vastly different from other schools, and their looks kind of relate to their actions on game day. We need the drunken college students yelling at the top of their lungs. But it's hard to have that mentality while at tech. You can't party your way through tech like most schools. So that party atmosphere you get at ole Miss, bama, uga is lost.

GT_EE78

Banned
2. What's one idea to help get fans in the seats next year, and what will you do to carry out the idea to those who can make something happen?
We have to embrace the Atlanta Culture, Maybe get some Rap Star to play at Bobby Dodd.

A rap star ? Well, that's one way to eliminate the remainder of the fan base so they can start over. Hope the new culture can afford the current ticket prices.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
You want youth in the stadium. Not the 65 and up crowd we have now... You go to a bama, ole Miss, michinan, Ohio State game you have a ton of youth. tech needs to focus on millennials and whatever this new generation is that's coming into college. Millennials are about 24-40 years old. Get them in with their young children and start new traditions.

GT_EE78

Banned
I have 3 questions for the forum.
1. What improvements have you seen this year from 1st game to now.
2. What's one idea to help get fans in the seats next year, and what will you do to carry out the idea to those who can make something happen?
3. How many more wins do we have in us?

1 Defense
2 Free Beer,Lower ticket prices,New Coach,New Offense - "Fun n Gun"
3 1 or 2 , I suspect there's an upset lurking out there somewhere

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
They also beat Duke. Easily. All of the teams on our schedule are beatable. Im just not feeling that good about a road game against a quality opponent on a Thursday night who has a week and a half to prepare for us.
And we have two weeks (almost) to prepare for them. Virtually our same outfit beat them last year.

They'll be tough out, for sure. But we can win up there.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Forcing turnovers, kicking, QB pressure, and Marshall's pitching have improved. Before the Duke game our D had forced more takeaways than all of last year and every one had been turned into points. They're definitely getting more pressure on the QB than under the Roof and there's been marked improvement over this season too. Missed XPs and FGs have been cleaned up. Marshall has finally figured out how to make the defender commit to him and pitch at the last instant.

2. Improve the pre-game in-stadium experience. At Clemson last year they showed a POV style video of a recruit, from the "hat show" to training camp, to hitting weight room goals, to acing tests, to earning a starting spot, to donning the uni, to the pre-game bus ride, and finally culminating with rubbing Howard's Rock and running down the hill. It built the crowd anticipation and acted as a cool recruiting tool too. Copy and replace with following the Ramblin Wreck at the end and we can do that! If i can find a clip of that video i'll send it to whomever in the AA can make it happen. I'll also suggest adding music during replay reviews. Finally lets add some energetic graphics, bells & whistles, and attitude to really whip the crowd into a frenzy for the Defense, especially after we turn the ball over! In an Alabama game after turnovers the D & coaches run out there pounding their chests and getting fired up for a big stop. We need that!

3. 3 wins. Carolina can't stop the run. Virginia can't win at BDS. Then at some point the Defense scores plus Juanyeh Thomas runs a kick back to the house to power Tech to a big signature upset win. VT probably but maybe just maybe it'll happen in Athens (Be still my heart.)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1. Defense seems to be improving each week, for the most part. PK has definitely gotten more consistent. Give the kid a scholly!

2. Ummm...start JG the last 3 games from a shotgun formation as a promise of things to come and let the kid do his thing? I'm in the minority but am not a fan of having another run-first, run-second, run-third QB starting next year (am thinking TO). Running the ball 65 times isn't something that's going to put a ton of asses in seats. Lower ticket prices?

3. 1 or 2 (UNC, UVA). I don't see how this team, playing as it has against Pitt, Duke, and Clemson, has much of a chance against the decent defenses we will face vs Miami, VPI, mutts. For anyone who says "Yeah but if Old Dominion can....", I'll only say that ODU threw it for like 400 yards against VPI. We will not beat VPI running it 65 times. Miami - Richt has beaten much better CPJ teams with worse Richt teams than this. mutts - all mutt players, fans, and coaches can go to hell.
Love #3.

(I'm guessing you're happy to be wrong)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A victory over those jerks is always good. It'll be interesting to see the results of that QB Keeper scheme going forward.
Yes, it will. What we saw last night was sorta like what we would have had if Jordan and Mills has both stayed out their careers: a QB and BB offense. Problem = now the opposition has seen the QB sweep and the cat is out of the bag. A full QB/BB offense is more varied then last night, but we have to get Tobias - if it is he - to throw more to make it work. And learn to run the midline, of course.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh woah is me. Tobias can never aspire to be the passer TaQuon is. (TIC) We have crossed the Rubicon. Oliver should lead our team the rest of the way. I doubt CPJ agrees but you have to do what is best for the team and not for the individual. There are a couple of other spots where we need to bench the Senior and play the guy who gives us the best chance to win.

Go Jackets!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Should play both QBs and let the hot hand ride. Oliver will improve in the passing game but not this year IMO. However it gives the O a different set of plays to pound until they don't work. Plus fresh legs at QB (QB has basically been a RB for us this year) and change of pace. Ultimately will need to pass vs better D's, at least enough to keep honest. Only way offense hits its ceiling IMO.