Remainder of 2018 season

Deleted member 2897

I have 3 questions for the forum.

1. What improvements have you seen this year from 1st game to now.

2. What's one idea to help get fans in the seats next year, and what will you do to carry out the idea to those who can make something happen?

3. How many more wins do we have in us?

1. Kicking. Malachi Carter, Tariq, Nate Cottrell, CHansen, ASA, CGH...
2. Teach them how to be relentlessly positive and support the team no matter what. How To Fan For Dummies.
3. This year? Somewhere between 1 and 6.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. Improvements. The D doesn't look so helpless. And on occasion looks good. This is a bright spot.
2. Level Peters Park and create a "Grove" like they do at Ole Miss. It's perfect for tailgating and short walk. Add music and adult beverages (open carry) and it could be a fun entertainment zone. The Greeks that line it should be encouraged to add food/bev too ... and create a total party atmosphere.
3. How many more wins. I think 1. The reality is ... we just aren't very good.
Had to bump the post- please read 2.
We need marketing ideas like this.
Not saying I buy it totally ( yea I know about the endowment restrictions) but it's very creative. Would have other uses besides football tail gate.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Had to bump the post- please read 2.
We need marketing ideas like this.
Not saying I buy it totally ( yea I know about the endowment restrictions) but it's very creative. Would have other uses besides football tail gate.

If you haven't been to the The Grove, I think it's the best college football experience in the country. Hundreds of tents, all a short walk away from the stadium, sponsorships by various organizations as well as individuals ... big screens blaring ... after the game, everyone heads back to watch more ball, drink more beer, eat more food ... it's fun. There's a bandstand of sorts for ESPN Today ...

One of the Game Day problems we have is not very good places to tail gate. I'd open up the West Stands with sight lines to the field (this is the new trend in stadium design anyway), and change the North Stands to Tailgate Suites ... open areas where you can put up an approved tent and party. Ole Miss does this with as special gate at the baseball stadium and you are allowed to bring liquor. Can't get a seat there on Game Day.

I'd also build an actual store within BDS ... not the crappy kiosks they have ... and also but in a History Walk highlighting the history of Tech.

TStan should know all this. I was surprised that he's raising money first for a New Edge ... what he needs is a new game day experience for the fans. Just my two cents.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If you haven't been to the The Grove, I think it's the best college football experience in the country. Hundreds of tents, all a short walk away from the stadium, sponsorships by various organizations as well as individuals ... big screens blaring ... after the game, everyone heads back to watch more ball, drink more beer, eat more food ... it's fun. There's a bandstand of sorts for ESPN Today ...

One of the Game Day problems we have is not very good places to tail gate. I'd open up the West Stands with sight lines to the field (this is the new trend in stadium design anyway), and change the North Stands to Tailgate Suites ... open areas where you can put up an approved tent and party. Ole Miss does this with as special gate at the baseball stadium and you are allowed to bring liquor. Can't get a seat there on Game Day.

I'd also build an actual store within BDS ... not the crappy kiosks they have ... and also but in a History Walk highlighting the history of Tech.

TStan should know all this. I was surprised that he's raising money first for a New Edge ... what he needs is a new game day experience for the fans. Just my two cents.
Toomer's corner at Auburn is awesome also

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Thanks. At ND stadium almost every column has a bronze plaque of some famous football event or player. On west stands we have white columns.

Never been to grove, but am helping a New local hs football team start a similar tradition Called under Magnolia . Pre last game cook and pot luck as all alums invited. COACH HASCAGREED TO SPEAK.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
GT should do something like that for great GT football players of the past:cool:

I spoke to a young lady who went to an Atlanta United game recently. "Who won?" ... "I don't know. I don't like soccer. I went to have drinks with my friends."

It's all about the fan experience. Ingress and egress, charging stations, comfortable seating, good food and drinks. Ole Miss charged me $8.00 for a Coke but it was unlimited refills. Love that.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
NOT playing YMCA over the PA during the game to get fans pumped up is a good start. Face palmed when rewatching the game Monday.

Not a fan of it, but it gets the students excited so play some current rap. GT Band, I put on for my city, is almost in the classic rap section at Wal-Mart. Update Update Update.

Send an assistant AD and 3 interns around the county to different stadiums in different regions and see what they do. South Bend, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, USC etc. See what they are doing, both in displays and signage and gameday activities on campus, i.e. opening Cameron Indoor for tours at Duke.

But, we as fans must realize, when TStan got here we were so far behind the 8 ball it's going to take time. By 2022, the gameday atmosphere will be so much better. Just have patience.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
NOT playing YMCA over the PA during the game to get fans pumped up is a good start. Face palmed when rewatching the game Monday.

Not a fan of it, but it gets the students excited so play some current rap. GT Band, I put on for my city, is almost in the classic rap section at Wal-Mart. Update Update Update.

Send an assistant AD and 3 interns around the county to different stadiums in different regions and see what they do. South Bend, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, USC etc. See what they are doing, both in displays and signage and gameday activities on campus, i.e. opening Cameron Indoor for tours at Duke.

But, we as fans must realize, when TStan got here we were so far behind the 8 ball it's going to take time. By 2022, the gameday atmosphere will be so much better. Just have patience.

I went to a UT game a few weeks ago. No canned music ... it was the band, the band, the band. Great videos on the Jumbotron. It feels like GT is copying the Braves to create a phony atmosphere. Soon, we'll have Hat Day.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

Yeah all I can do is shake my head as the band continues to play "Put on" for the 10th year in a row. I don't know what's worse between that or blaring YMCA through the speakers. Embarrassing.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Yeah all I can do is shake my head as the band continues to play "Put on" for the 10th year in a row. I don't know what's worse between that or blaring YMCA through the speakers. Embarrassing.
I agree. There really isn’t much “cool” factor for GT anymore. And it’s been that way for a while. I’m 41. I remember 20-25 years ago you’d see rappers wearing our hats,jerseys and starter jackets. We’re in the middle of the hip hop Mecca and none of these artists or groups seem to know GT is from the same city! Hell, even the group performing at the basketball event is becoming an after thought in the hip hop/rap circle....

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Honestly the edge center renovation should help. But the fact that the casual fan cannot tour techs accomplishments 3 hours before game time and an hour after is a joke. They should be trying to get people into the trophy hall, yet it's closed at odd times.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
GT has to learn to market it's brand. Even if it means paying to have some famous musicians to wear our new Adidas gear. It's a worthy endorsement. I'll never understand our complete and total lack of marketing.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
1. As others have said, the biggest improvement is the defense. Especially some of the younger players who seem to be improving every game.

2. I really don't see what could possibly accomplish this other than a coaching change. You can't build a fan base in a year. If we stuck with CPJ then it would take a few years of consistent winning to build it back up along with some improvements in the game day experience. It would also help if someone emerged as a star player that people want to see play. Right now, outside of our regular fans, im not sure anyone can name a player on our team.

3. I think we win two more. If I had to guess, I would say UNC and maybe Miami. We finish 5-7.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Lessee, "South Bend, Ohio State, Oregon, USC..."? I know what those teams have in common. Can you guess?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
1. As others have said, the biggest improvement is the defense. Especially some of the younger players who seem to be improving every game.

2. I really don't see what could possibly accomplish this other than a coaching change. You can't build a fan base in a year. If we stuck with CPJ then it would take a few years of consistent winning to build it back up along with some improvements in the game day experience. It would also help if someone emerged as a star player that people want to see play. Right now, outside of our regular fans, im not sure anyone can name a player on our team.

3. I think we win two more. If I had to guess, I would say UNC and maybe Miami. We finish 5-7.

VT is quite beatable. They barely beat UNC and lost to James Madison.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
VT is quite beatable. They barely beat UNC and lost to James Madison.
They also beat Duke. Easily. All of the teams on our schedule are beatable. Im just not feeling that good about a road game against a quality opponent on a Thursday night who has a week and a half to prepare for us.